Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Having the cap hit staggered between 2013 and 2014 seems like an okay solution to me. The Jets can't fill out their roster except with journeymen this year because they don't have the wiggle room to get quality starters, thank you Mike T. However if Revis is traded after June 1st 9 million gets moved to 2014, and suddenly there is money to sign a few quality second tier free agents. Apart from that Revis will likely be running by June first making teams more convinced that he is closer to a recovery.

"I don't want the cap hit in 2014, I want it over now" I hear you say ? Well next year with all that extra cap room with Sanchez off the books , it might make more fiscal sense to stagger the cap hit. The Jets are not going to the Super Bowl in 2014 either ( I am booking my hotel room for 2015) but it would make this year's team more watchable ...

I dont see any big FAs worth chasing now for 2013. Plus 13 will be much worse than 14 ever could be.. I know we will have extra cap space with sanchez gone, probably holmes.. dont want to waste 9 mil in empty cap in 14 when we actually have a chance to compete just so we can sign a few average joe's to win a extra game or 2 next yr. unless there long term guys..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    I dont see any big FAs worth chasing now for 2013. Plus 13 will be much worse than 14 ever could be.. I know we will have extra cap space with sanchez gone, probably holmes.. dont want to waste 9 mil in empty cap in 14 when we actually have a chance to compete just so we can sign a few average joe's to win a extra game or 2 next yr. unless there long term guys..
    Actually Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris will likely be cut due to balloons in their salaries for next season and big cap savings.

Not sure how all the restructures hurt 2014, but pushing any Revis hit into 2014 isn't going to save us enough $ for players that will make a difference in 2013. I would say eat all the punishment now so we can get rid of the burden as soon as possible.

@ConorTOrr: Following up on our post yesterday, Revis has now earned an extra $1 million | http://t.co/VH1NG0LKWF

@AlbertBreer: The Jets paying Revis the bonus was fully expected. More of a checkpoint than a deadline. Not much urgency for Jets deal him now.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Actually Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris will likely be cut due to balloons in their salaries for next season and big cap savings.

Not sure how all the restructures hurt 2014, but pushing any Revis hit into 2014 isn't going to save us enough $ for players that will make a difference in 2013. I would say eat all the punishment now so we can get rid of the burden as soon as possible.
    Harris had one down year.

I don't understand why all this "cut Harris" all over the website.

Who's going to replace him? Players who haven't proven zero yet? Who could possibly be worse? He's overpaid, but not a problem on the team. The Jets need him.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

yep let 2013 take the bullet and then start over fresh in 14.. MT left this team a pile of SH!T..

Harris is 9 million against cap, not as bad as 13 next year. But we can release him without much hit I believe.. Can see him staying for less, hes not going to be worth 9 mil next year..

Cut everyone who makes a big salary.

That's what seems to be the theme lately.

Unless the Jets have a viable replacement, don't cut anyone until you think about it better.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Who's going to replace him? Players who haven't proven zero yet? Who could possibly be worse? He's overpaid, but not a problem on the team. The Jets need him.
    Harris has to know by now that if the Jets don't restructure his contract he's as good as gone after this yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Harris has to know by now that if the Jets don't restructure his contract he's as good as gone after this yr.
    That's not the same as just cutting him because he has a big salary.

I understand the Jets are rebuilding, but clearing everyone that has a big salary isn't black and white. The Jets need players. Harris is a good player. Bad year, yes, for him. He's a starter on 25 other teams, at least.

Jets don't have a million draft choices.

QB
    OL
    TE
    WR
    OLB
    ILB (another one)
    CB
    SS
    FS

The list goes on. Harris is a good starter. Just "cut him and clear cap space" isn't the answer. To sign who?

All Pro
    Cut everyone who makes a big salary.

That's what seems to be the theme lately.

Unless the Jets have a viable replacement, don't cut anyone until you think about it better.
    That's what happens when u give people contracts they can't possibly play up to.

just focus on him during one game and you will understand the cries for cut!!!

All Pro

I understand the Jets are rebuilding, but clearing everyone that has a big salary isn't black and white. The Jets need players. Harris is a good player. Bad year, yes, for him. He's a starter on 25 other teams, at least.

QB
    OL
    TE
    WR
    OLB
    ILB (another one)
    CB
    SS
    FS

The list goes on. Harris is a good starter. Just "cut him and clear cap space" isn't the answer. To sign who?
    That's why u don't draft certain positions in the 1st 2 rounds unless the player is Versatile. Harris is an inside Lber in a 34 scheme but can't play anywhere else. Why is he worth a contract that carries a cap hit of 10mil or more. On the Jets right now, the only player worth his 2nd contract drafted by the Jets is Nick Mangold.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    But it might impact the timing of a trade...

probably won't happen until draft time or mid season if they pay it out, right or is that untrue too?
    No, it wouldn't impact the timing of a trade. And, as noted above, the Jets paid the $1 mil. It was completely irrelevant to the situation. The Pueter guys didn't know what they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    just focus on him during one game and you will understand the cries for cut!!!
    I don't think he's nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. He's actually a good LB. The entire team sucked last year.

He's not Ray Lewis, but he's not Vernon Gholston either.

Hall Of Fame
    Harris has aged in dog years since signing that contract. He was once as good a tackler as there was at his position AND he was good in coverage as well as being a proficient blitzer.

He was phenomenal in 2009. And he capped that with some strong performances in the playoffs. He was great in the Charger game, made every tackle in the open field.

Now he is slow footed and misses tackles. To be fair, its not just him. I have no idea how we went from one of the best tackling teams in 2009 to the garbage we have watched the past two years with basically the same players.

All League

QB
    OL
    TE
    WR
    OLB
    ILB (another one)
    CB
    SS
    FS

Again, we are talking about after this season. We will hopefully have half of these positions solidified long term, or at least through next season by then.

All Pro
    I don't think he's nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. He's actually a good LB. The entire team sucked last year.

He's not Ray Lewis, but he's not Vernon Gholston either.
    He is a good player as long as you keep blockers off him. The unsung dirty work of Bart, and Pouha got him that contract, and them both getting old really exposed him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Harris has aged in dog years since signing that contract.
    Now he is slow footed and misses tackles. To be fair, its not just him. I have no idea how we went from one of the best tackling teams in 2009 to the garbage we have watched the past two years with basically the same players.
    An inside backer is only as good as his nose Guard in the 3-4

With Pouha hurt, and using an undersized DeVito Harris' numbers went own

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    An inside backer is only as good as his nose Guard in the 3-4

With Pouha hurt, and using an undersized DeVito Harris' numbers went own
    You're right but he has been declining since 2011. I think Scott's decline hurt him too. He also hurt his ankle in preseason.

But those are just excuses. He gets paid like a difference maker. He needs to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He is a good player as long as you keep blockers off him. The unsung dirty work of Bart, and Pouha got him that contract, and them both getting old really exposed him.
    I'm not sure Harris' skill set supports this, but maybe it's time for him to shift to the "dirty work" role Scott has vacated and let Davis take over the "make plays all over the field" role.

@NFLSTROUD: The list of teams with cap room, need and a willingness to compensate Revis is not a long one and the Bucs are clearly at the top.

@NFLSTROUD: While Dominik would not directly address reports that the Bucs are interested in trading for Darrelle Revis, it's clear they feel no urgency