Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yet, they went out and got tebow last year. well, woody did.
    Which reinforces the point of NOT bringing in any valid Qb competition. Tebow was a wildcat option and nothing else even if the jets lied to him and told him he would have a legit chance to play QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    what's wrong with saying that, who cares. Everyone knows rex is full of ****, but every year the defense has been top 10, he can run his mouth about the defense all he wants because he has the statistics to back it up. Don't say super bowl, don't say competitive offense...those are blatant lies.
    Top 10 based on what? I believe the ranking is based on yards allowed..

A truer stat would combine D points allowed, 3rd conversion % and when leading with 4 minutes to go the % of times the D holds the lead...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

A truer stat would combine D points allowed, 3rd conversion % and when leading with 4 minutes to go the % of times the D holds the lead...
    The issue when talking about points allowed is that much more complicated statistics such as efficiency and DVOA must be implemented because of the awful position that the offense continually left the defense in. If you'd like to use DVOA, the Jets have been consistently in the top of the league in defensive DVOA since Rex took over. In 2009 they had the 7th highest all time.

Year PA Rank DVOA Rank
    2009 1 1
    2010 6 5
    2011 20 2
    2012 20 9

So I think yes, Rex can say that the defense will be premier independently of the offense.
    Last edited by bjetsb; 03-19-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

For what it's worth, all of those are factors in the dvoa formula, take a read.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue when talking about points allowed is that much more complicated statistics such as efficiency and DVOA must be implemented because of the awful position that the offense continually left the defense in. If you'd like to use DVOA, the Jets have been consistently in the top of the league in defensive DVOA since Rex took over. In 2009 they had the 7th highest all time.

Year PA Rank DVOA Rank
    2009 1 1
    2010 6 5
    2011 20 2
    2012 20 9

So I think yes, Rex can say that the defense will be premier independently of the offense.
    Good info!

DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Year PA Rank DVOA Rank
    2009 1 1
    2010 6 5
    2011 20 2
    2012 20 9

Rex has managed to put together an elite defense just about every year with marginal talent. Aside from Revis (and maybe Cro) this defense hasn't had much talent on the DL/LB/S spot since he got here. Finally, the likes of Mo and Coples are emerging. But I have faith that Rex can turn guys like Barnes/Harris/Davis/Mcintyre/Random rookie into a decent group of LBers. The DL is pretty solid already. And we played most of last year with Cro/Kyle at the CB.

The main weakness now is at safety, but he has managed to "make it work" with the likes of Leonard/E. Smith for the last few years, so i'm sure he can make it work with Allen/Bush/????

Of course, our offense will still be a glaring weakness, but all hope is not lost heading into this season. At least not for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Rex has managed to put together an elite defense just about every year with marginal talent. Aside from Revis (and maybe Cro) this defense hasn't had much talent on the DL/LB/S spot since he got here. Finally, the likes of Mo and Coples are emerging. But I have faith that Rex can turn guys like Barnes/Harris/Davis/Mcintyre/Random rookie into a decent group of LBers. The DL is pretty solid already. And we played most of last year with Cro/Kyle at the CB.

The main weakness now is at safety, but he has managed to "make it work" with the likes of Leonard/E. Smith for the last few years, so i'm sure he can make it work with Allen/Bush/????

Of course, our offense will still be a glaring weakness, but all hope is not lost heading into this season. At least not for me.
    You do realize there were 7 first round draft picks starting on defense last year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Plus the draft is coming and the June 1st and camp cuts sometimes shakes loose a decent player..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I'm no statistician (or am I) but there is an extremely high correlation between the level of OFFENSIVE efficiency and points allowed. One can obviously see points allowed rising at an alarming rate, but that goes hand in hand with the complete and utter cluster**** that our offense has been.

Offensive DVOA:

in 2012 the jets were 30th
    in 2011 the jets were 21st
    in 2010 the jets were 16th
    in 2009 the jets were 9th

Let's aim for an average offense, and let Rex do what he does on defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You do realize there were 7 first round draft picks starting on defense last year?
    He also lost the best CB in the NFL early in the season, but you would never mention that.

Also if the jets started Vernon GHolston/Aaron maybin/Aaron Curry at LB and the Jets had a great defense your reaction would be "well they were all first round draft picks at some point!"

Laron landry was a cast off that no one wanted last year. Pace was washed up.

The jEts had 6 1st round picks starting on offense with Mangold/Dbrick/Sanchez/Hill/Holmes/Keller and they were putrid.

Most teams (good or bad) have starters that are former 1st rounders. What round they were taken becomes irrelevant at some point. Especially in the case of a Calvin pace who was ancient.

I think the term SOJF fits you just fine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also I'm no statistician (or am I) but there is an extremely high correlation between the level of OFFENSIVE efficiency and points allowed. One can obviously see points allowed rising at an alarming rate, but that goes hand in hand with the complete and utter cluster**** that our offense has been.

Offensive DVOA:

I would sign up for the 16 (or even 21st) best offense next year. Pretty sad, but I think most Jets fans would agree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Offensive DVOA:

2009 Jets were 22nd in offensive DVOA, not 9th.

To get to an average offense, Jets have a long way to go.

Also, getting back to Revis, the Defense DVOA from 2009 - 2012 helps show the impact Revis has. In 2009 and 2011 with full seasons of healthy Revis, Jets D was 1 and 2, both overall and in pass D. In 2010 and 2012 the D was still good, at numbers 5 and 10, but not the superb unit it is when Revis was healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He also lost the best CB in the NFL early in the season, but you would never mention that.

Also if the jets started Vernon GHolston/Aaron maybin/Aaron Curry at LB and the Jets had a great defense your reaction would be "well they were all first round draft picks at some point!"

Laron landry was a cast off that no one wanted last year. Pace was washed up.

The jEts had 6 1st round picks starting on offense with Mangold/Dbrick/Sanchez/Hill/Holmes/Keller and they were putrid.

Most teams (good or bad) have starters that are former 1st rounders. What round they were taken becomes irrelevant at some point. Especially in the case of a Calvin pace who was ancient.

I think the term SOJF fits you just fine.
    LOL....OK. I just pointed out there were 7 first round draft picks on defense last year. Was I wrong?

And was Rex not the HC, so should he bear some responsibility for the lack of offense, or do we just give him a pass? So which is it? Is he good HC or just a good defensive coordinator?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I would sign up for the 16 (or even 21st) best offense next year. Pretty sad, but I think most Jets fans would agree.
    In 1996 we were 27th,1997 12th, 1998 5th.. Things can change in a hurry and 97 was with Neil O'Donnell plus who could have forseen Vinny's year in 1998??

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL....OK. I just pointed out there were 7 first round draft picks on defense last year. Was I wrong?

And was Rex not the HC, so should he bear some responsibility for the lack of offense, or do we just give him a pass? So which is it? Is he good HC or just a good defensive coordinator?
    Was BB the HC he is today in year 4 with the Browns?? Most HC's have a learning scale, if they learn they progress if they don't they go back to what they do well..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In 1996 we were 27th,1997 12th, 1998 5th.. Things can change in a hurry and 97 was with Neil O'Donnell plus who could have forseen Vinny's year in 1998??
    I actually think the Jets offense is not going to be the train wreck that it was last year. I seriously would not be surprised if they rank in the 15-18 range, provided they do not get hit with a ton of injuries.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think the Jets offense is not going to be the train wreck that it was last year. I seriously would not be surprised if they rank in the 15-18 range, provided they do not get hit with a ton of injuries.
    I agree that's why they play the games..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

He is absolutely responsible for the offense and if the offense doesn't improve this year, no matter how good the defense is, he will be canned. But the offenses failure has little, if anything, to do with Rex being a loud mouth it has to do with Sanchez sucking, our WR's being pathetic (especially after the holmes injury) and Shonn Greene being a stiff.

But again, Rex had input on some of the draft picks/Fa signings and clearly was a big supporter of Sanchez so much of the blame falls on him for last years debacle.

I don't think there are many Jets fans here that wanted the Jets to give Rex a long term contract after last year, but some of us like him as a head coach (great defense/players like to play for him/team always seems to try hard) and are willing to give him another chance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That is why I am not one of the fans suggesting that we should be content with 4 wins this year. If we manage to jump into the 15-20 range as an offense we can compete for a wild card spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is absolutely responsible for the offense and if the offense doesn't improve this year, no matter how good the defense is, he will be canned. But the offenses failure has little, if anything, to do with Rex being a loud mouth it has to do with Sanchez sucking, our WR's being pathetic (especially after the holmes injury) and Shonn Greene being a stiff.

But again, Rex had input on some of the draft picks/Fa signings and clearly was a big supporter of Sanchez so much of the blame falls on him for last years debacle.

I don't think there are many Jets fans here that wanted the Jets to give Rex a long term contract after last year, but some of us like him as a head coach (great defense/players like to play for him/team always seems to try hard) and are willing to give him another chance.
    the offense sucked, above all, b/c of sanchez, rex wanting greene as the featured back rather than use faster rbs, and allow inept OCs to run offenses that didn't play to sanchez's strengths. mostly falls on rex.