Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 655

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    "If we don't pay Revis who are we gonna pay" - decent point. The Jets are establishing what other teams are willing to pay Revis - contract wise and then the Jets can make their decision on wether they want to pay him that much or trade him away. If teams will only pay him 12 mil then his agents will be well aware and maybe he stays with the Jets. I don't mind the Jets keeping Revis with a fair deal but they cant resign him at 16 million per. So it appears to me that the Jets are basically making Revis a free agent right now and seeing what contracts teams will pay him so that they can make an informed decision and also Revis camp can also make an informed decision.
    If this is what they are doing, then wow - very astute move.

    Im just skeptical that is the play, just because if theyarent letting the teams negoitiate with is agents, then it will be tough to let them know the price. Plus his agents are the worst.

    I personally think woody has made up his mind that he doesnt want to keep dealing with revis etc or paying him that $ and he wants him gone. Which is terrible because woody has no clue how to run a football organization. He needs to let idzik do it and decide if he wants revis here or not

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Id like to counter the "too much to pay a CB argument for a second"

    The premium positions to pay are QB, passrusher and LT - but guess what, we dont have to pay those positions right now.

    QB - even if we draft the next aaron rogers, he wont be paid franchise QB money for 5 years.

    Passrusher - Wilk and coples arent FA for 3-4 years respectively and if we draft aldon smith, he has 5 years til he needs to be paid.

    LT - Brick is on a very favorable contract, and has proven to be a durable player.

    Plus, mangold is locked up, holmes and harris can come off the books soon, and we have all our picks in 2013 and 2014 right now.

    So i ask, if we dont pay revis, what do we do in 2014????? Have a ton of cap space so we can run around and overpay the jared cooks and greg jennings of the world?

    Look around at the successful teams - and please tell me who has struck gold signing an UFA? The really good organizations resign their homegrown players - they know them better, know their effort, their personal lives everything.

    It is simply too hard to guage a player well enough to pay him a huge contract as an UFA when you dont know them.

    So again - if we dont pay revis, who are we gonna pay?
    The problem is we have too many holes in "non-premium" positions to fill. These may not be premium salaries but they add up to a big number. When you give premium money to a non- premium position such as CB , you have less money to fiil all the other positions.

    We still have huge holes at RB, TE, WR, both Guard podsitions, both safeties, and both OLB positions. Plus we have question marks at RT and ILB. Not to mention there is no depth at any position.

    How do you fill all those voids if you give premium money to a non premium position such as CB? You cant expect to fill all those positions with bargain free agrents/UDFA types and be a competitive.

  3. #243
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:29pm

    In addition to hoping to sign Goldson, 28, to a multi-year contract that could fetch close to $8 million per year, multiple reports indicated the Bucs have an offer on the table to trade for Jets All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

    No agreement had been reached by late Tuesday in what promises to be a complex deal for the former AFC defensive player of the year, 27.

    Revis is in the final year of his contract. The Jets are believed to be seeking a first-round pick. Even if the teams agree on draft compensation, the Bucs would have to reach a contract extension with Revis, who wants $15 million to $16 million per year despite playing in only two games last season because of a torn ACL in his left knee.

    The Bucs lost five of their final six games to finish 7-9 in the first year under Schiano. They were just 38 yards shy of tying the mark for the worst pass defense in NFL history, allowing 4,758 passing yards and 30 touchdowns.

    When healthy, Revis has been the league's best shutdown cornerback with 18 of his 19 career interceptions coming in his first five seasons before the injury. The five-time Pro Bowl cornerback also has some advocates on the Bucs coaching staff. Dave Wannstedt, Tampa Bay's special teams coordinator, was his head coach at the University of Pittsburgh. Safeties coach Jeff Hafley was Revis' position coach with the Panthers.

    Furthermore, Dominik and new Jets GM John Idzik worked together in Tampa Bay's front office for six seasons.

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...-first/2108491

    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:30am

    The Bucs sent their swanky plane out to California to pick up the top free-agent safety in the NFL.

    They're burning up their cell phones trying to swing a deal for the one of the best cornerbacks of this generation.

    They're emptying their pockets trying to sign pass stoppers, pass rushers, backup quarterbacks and tight ends.

    The franchise is ready to write a bunch of checks full of zeroes and commas.

    And that all sounds just peachy until you realize:
    The Bucs are forced to be major players in free agency to make up for all the screwups they've made drafting and developing players over the past several years.

    Instead of re-signing their own players to field a really good team, they must chase everyone else's players.

    Hey, give the Bucs a little credit. At least they are shooting for the big game. They are going after the 49ers' Dashon Goldson, the premier safety on the market. They are making a pitch for Jets corner Darrelle Revis. They are wooing all the top names.

    ...

    The Bucs could be on the verge of a huge gamble, giving up a high draft pick and, possibly, spending as much as $16 million a year to bring in Revis, who is coming off a torn ACL. And why? Because the Bucs took another huge gamble drafting head case Aqib Talib, who everyone knew was a head case before they drafted him. That's not on Dominik. Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden are responsible for that colossal blunder.

    Yeesh, the Bucs might lead in the league in second-round busts and that's a round where you just can't afford mistakes.

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...x-team/2108582

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If this is what they are doing, then wow - very astute move.

    Im just skeptical that is the play, just because if theyarent letting the teams negoitiate with is agents, then it will be tough to let them know the price. Plus his agents are the worst.

    I personally think woody has made up his mind that he doesnt want to keep dealing with revis etc or paying him that $ and he wants him gone. Which is terrible because woody has no clue how to run a football organization. He needs to let idzik do it and decide if he wants revis here or not
    I seriously doubt they are doing that. Every report mentions that Woody does not want to pay Revis again.

  5. #245
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,181
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I seriously doubt they are doing that. Every report mentions that Woody does not want to pay Revis again.
    Are you sure it's not Revis' camp saying Woody doesn't want to pay again in order to speed things up?

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    The problem is we have too many holes in "non-premium" positions to fill. These may not be premium salaries but they add up to a big number. When you give premium money to a non- premium position such as CB , you have less money to fiil all the other positions.

    We still have huge holes at RB, TE, WR, both Guard podsitions, both safeties, and both OLB positions. Plus we have question marks at RT and ILB. Not to mention there is no depth at any position.

    How do you fill all those voids if you give premium money to a non premium position such as CB? You cant expect to fill all those positions with bargain free agrents/UDFA types and be a competitive.
    But my point is that in addition to whatever players we have now, we have 2 full slates of draft picks, and then the money that will come off sanchez and most likely harris.

    Will we need money to fill holes, yes. But what team doesnt have 1-2 superstars making big money?

    Very few have none

  7. #247
    Bob (Tampa, Fl)
    Latest news on Bucs?

    Matt Williamson (12:02 PM)
    Seems like they are in a Revis holding pattern to me...but my hunch is that it gets done

    Geoff (DC)
    In the end, what does Tampa give up for the Island?

    Matt Williamson (12:03 PM)
    Their first rounder....think that is enough

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47357

  8. #248
    @PD_Fresh (MN)
    Who'll be traded/cut first: Revis or Tebow?

    Matt Williamson (12:13 PM)
    Revis...who is going to give anything for Tebow?


    same link as above

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Bob (Tampa, Fl)
    Latest news on Bucs?

    Matt Williamson (12:02 PM)
    Seems like they are in a Revis holding pattern to me...but my hunch is that it gets done

    Geoff (DC)
    In the end, what does Tampa give up for the Island?

    Matt Williamson (12:03 PM)
    Their first rounder....think that is enough

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47357
    It's like the scene in 40 year old virgin when he's waxing the hair on his body. The anticipation hurts at this point.

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Bob (Tampa, Fl)
    Latest news on Bucs?

    Matt Williamson (12:02 PM)
    Seems like they are in a Revis holding pattern to me...but my hunch is that it gets done

    Geoff (DC)
    In the end, what does Tampa give up for the Island?

    Matt Williamson (12:03 PM)
    Their first rounder....think that is enough

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47357
    IMO, I would take their one this year and a conditional 2 next year dependent on health. Maybe a 6th or 7th too this year. Just like Harvin got.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @PD_Fresh (MN)
    Who'll be traded/cut first: Revis or Tebow?

    Matt Williamson (12:13 PM)
    Revis...who is going to give anything for Tebow?


    same link as above
    What the hell was Josh McDaniels thinking?

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    But my point is that in addition to whatever players we have now, we have 2 full slates of draft picks, and then the money that will come off sanchez and most likely harris.

    Will we need money to fill holes, yes. But what team doesnt have 1-2 superstars making big money?

    Very few have none
    Yes but how many teams have a CB as their highest paid superstar? I would say none. The fact that we have no superstars in premium position speaks to bad scouting/drafting over the years.

    I also dont think many teams have as many holes to fill as us. Maybe the bottom 5 teams? and of these how many have legitimate superstars?

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Yes but how many teams have a CB as their highest paid superstar? I would say none. The fact that we have no superstars in premium position speaks to bad scouting/drafting over the years.
    What do yo consider premium positions? Most of the highest paid players are not QBs/RBs/WRs.

    Last year the highest paid players were from vaious positions like Tackle, LB, DL, QB, WR, CB. Would you be happier if the Jets didn't have a an all time great CB andinstead paid Dbrick the most money? Would that make our situation any better or worse?

  14. #254
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,428
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    It's like the scene in 40 year old virgin when he's waxing the hair on his body. The anticipation hurts at this point.
    They are at an impass trying to explain the "after tax" worth of the deal to Mevis since Florida has no state income tax.

  15. #255
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,229
    From a Tampa Bay Buc's fan forum ...

    "Rumor floating on Revis and TB: Bucs offered Jets a 2nd Round pick in 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 for Revis. The Jets are asking for the reverse 1st rounder in 2013 and conditional 2nd rounder 2014."

    http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/index.ph.../page__st__720

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    From a Tampa Bay Buc's fan forum ...

    "Rumor floating on Revis and TB: Bucs offered Jets a 2nd Round pick in 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 for Revis. The Jets are asking for the reverse 1st rounder in 2013 and conditional 2nd rounder 2014."

    http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/index.ph.../page__st__720
    GO! GO! GO!

  17. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    From a Tampa Bay Buc's fan forum ...

    "Rumor floating on Revis and TB: Bucs offered Jets a 2nd Round pick in 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 for Revis. The Jets are asking for the reverse 1st rounder in 2013 and conditional 2nd rounder 2014."

    http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/index.ph.../page__st__720
    I'd be fine with the Bucs' offer if the first was a definite.

  18. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    GO! GO! GO!

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    From a Tampa Bay Buc's fan forum ...

    "Rumor floating on Revis and TB: Bucs offered Jets a 2nd Round pick in 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014 for Revis. The Jets are asking for the reverse 1st rounder in 2013 and conditional 2nd rounder 2014."

    http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/index.ph.../page__st__720
    i hope im not alone in preferring the 2014 first. we'll have more cap room that year, be picking from a better crop, a greater chance to get Clowney/Bridgewater, and the Bucs may very well be a bottom-feeder next season. that late season losing streak could carry over.

  20. #260
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    I'd be fine with the Bucs' offer if the first was a definite.
    Agreed.

    Especially considering there are no real QBs in this draft.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us