Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Revis Thread (FKA Revis to Tampa?)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    scary thing is the jets are dumb enough to pull the trigger on a 2nd and 4th round pick. wow if best players at their position and possibly the greatest of all time and is in their prime is only worth a 2nd a 4th then lets trade our 3rd for maurice jones drew. trade our 2nd for larry fitzgerald. and well the only player in this league worth a 1st would be kapernick, rogers, or RGIII.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Probably 6 million a year. They have money left, they just might not want to put it all in their secondary.
    Barron's on a cheap rookie deal.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    What about the Eagles... 2nd rounder and Foles?
    That would be a deal that makes sense. I like Foles

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Probably 6 million a year. They have money left, they just might not want to put it all in their secondary.
    Even if it's $6m a year, it might not be $6m in cap space for 2013. Teams can work contracts that have a $12m average and only $3m cap hit that 1st year.

Goldson isn't going to stop the Bucs from going after Revis if they chose.

And, as to the 2nd rounder argument, the Jets will get more. The OP post was based on Florio BS. They don't know the offer. Plus, if that is the offer then the Jets can shop that elsewhere. Again, there are consistent reports of mulptiple teams interested. The Jets aren't going to go with the worst deal.

And, a 2nd and conditional 2014 4th is a horrible offer for any elite player, even with an injury. That's a 2nd and a 5th rounder equivelent in the 2013 draft.

And don't underestimate this being Idzik as a first time GM. He is not going to get a bad deal as his first major deal because that would tarnish his credibility in future negotiations.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that if you had a football, which you think is worth $35, and you were looking to sell it knowing that you had to give it up in 1 year and also knowing that if you waited that year you would only get $15 as compensation. I'm offering you $25 right now for it and that's your best offer. You're telling me that you would turn down that offer just b/c in your own head you think it's worth more? It's worth what someone is willing to pay. I don't get how people don't understand that.
    I think you're missing the point. Just because you put something up for sale and no one buys it in the first week, do you simply give it away for the best price?

Or do you hold out until you get your price. Knowing at any point you could get the old price.

Point is, the Jets could probably get a two for Revis during the season - but if they hold out now and he plays well maybe they can get a one.

I would agree with you if the Jets were pressed for time, they are NOT. They have months to make this trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    For the reasons I listed above there is more to it than the thought that we have to trade him now for what ever anyone will offer us. It's the wrong way to do business. We have options.
    Well it depends. If the Jets have already decided they can not or will not keep Revis, then trading him is the option. Now when you look at the dates where money starts to kick in and the cap charge starts to go up, you will see that the value changes. A deal before March 17th, when the dead money will be the least for Revis, may fetch a little less compensation but can be more benficial overall as is it saves cap room. The longer the Jets hold on to Revis, the worst this situation could get. Not only from a money standpoint, but from a PR situation where things will get contentious and further drive down the trade value for Revis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Is a 2 and 4 better than keeping him for a year, finishing 5-11 and then losing him for nothing the following year?
    I'd prefer to keep him and get the 3rd round comp pick. Reality is that Tampa in that deal, assuming Revis is a 1 year rental, gets the 3rd round comp pick if he walks as well. I see a deal for a 2nd and 4th rounder this year and a 2nd rounder that could escalate to a 1st in 2014 with easily reached incentives.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    2 and a 4? No deal, go pound sand. At that price we keep him for the year and have the best CB duo in the league. there has to be a line in the sand that you draw and a 2 and 4 is just not enough.
    And then $9 million in dead cap money in 2014? I am sorry but that is just not something we should do. We need that money next year. Revis salary and bonuses are already accounted for. Better to take the hit now and get picks then cripple our cap next year.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I think you're missing the point. Just because you put something up for sale and no one buys it in the first week, do you simply give it away for the best price?

Or do you hold out until you get your price. Knowing at any point you could get the old price.

Point is, the Jets could probably get a two for Revis during the season - but if they hold out now and he plays well maybe they can get a one.

I would agree with you if the Jets were pressed for time, they are NOT. They have months to make this trade.
    They really don't have time. He is due a $1 million bonus this Saturday. Do you think Woody wants to just hand $1 million to a guy who may be gone in 2 weeks? That's not good business at all. The market is flooded with veteran CB's right now, if the Jets wait too long then the teams who have holes at CB and are interested may look elsewhere and find good CB's in FA. The Jets have no leverage in trade talks.

Also letting Revis do anything with the Jets this year, even training camp, is a big risk. You are risking that he gets re-injured and then you get nothing. No comp pick or anything. Plus now he's on your team for the whole year and when he opts out at the end of the year the Jets get a $9 million cap hit that they otherwise could have avoided if they had traded him. It makes no sense to go into the season with Revis on this team unless you plan on re-signing him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They really don't have time. He is due a $1 million bonus this Saturday. Do you think Woody wants to just hand $1 million to a guy who may be gone in 2 weeks? That's not good business at all. The market is flooded with veteran CB's right now, if the Jets wait too long then the teams who have holes at CB and are interested may look elsewhere and find good CB's in FA. The Jets have no leverage in trade talks.

Also letting Revis do anything with the Jets this year, even training camp, is a big risk. You are risking that he gets re-injured and then you get nothing. No comp pick or anything. Plus now he's on your team for the whole year and when he opts out at the end of the year the Jets get a $9 million cap hit that they otherwise could have avoided if they had traded him. It makes no sense to go into the season with Revis on this team unless you plan on re-signing him.
    Honestly, $1M is a lot of money, but the value of getting a 1st round pick vs. a 2nd round pick is worth way more than $1M

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    And then $9 million in dead cap money in 2014? I am sorry but that is just not something we should do. We need that money next year. Revis salary and bonuses are already accounted for. Better to take the hit now and get picks then cripple our cap next year.
    But he's the best. Who cares what happens to the team and their finances? As long as we have the best CB in the league I can at least brag to my friends about that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Honestly, $1M is a lot of money, but the value of getting a 1st round pick vs. a 2nd round pick is worth way more than $1M
    Yeah, that $1m bonus isn't going to speed up a trade or make Idzik take a bad deal.

The Jets are paying Sanchez for crying out loud. They don't care about wasting money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    What makes you think you would get a 1st round pick in a month when (allegedly) the best pick you can get now is a 2nd? Especially when the CB market in FA is flooded with starting caliber CB's. I think that Florio is wrong, I think the Jets will get a 1 but I don't agree with waiting and/or turning down a 2 and 4 in hopes of eventually getting a 1st. You can try to be greedy but if it backfires you may get less then a 2 and screw the cap up for next year. Is it worth the risk? I don't think so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But he's the best. Who cares what happens to the team and their finances? As long as we have the best CB in the league I can at least brag to my friends about that.
    You can say that but I think a lot of people weren't expecting the Jets to be on the hook for fictitious funny money for voiding his deal. Knowing that he costs 9M to the Jets after his contract expires (I've never heard of that) makes it more imperative to get a deal done this offseason.

He will be traded. Make no mistake about it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    "The compensation in the trade is not confirmed, but might entail a 2nd round selection in the 2013 NFL draft and a conditional 4th round selection in the 2014 NFL draft."

Seems pretty low if this guy is right.
    If we accept this I'm going to be furious.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to the $9 million in 2014 dead cap we would get, people seem to be missing that we would get maybe a 3rd round compensatory pick for Revis in the 2015 draft. Not next year.

A second and fourth this year and clear cap next year is a billion times better than 1 more year of Revis, $9 million in 2014 dead cap and maybe a 2015 compensatory pick.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    no way for a #2 and #4 next year. It better be a #1, #4 this year and something high next year as well.

jf

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    This

It's not even guaranteed that we get a 3rd round comp pick in 2014 if we let him walk.

I'm pretty sure how high a pick you get for losing a player is dependant on how much you spend that year. And we'll probably be spending a pretty penny next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You can say that but I think a lot of people weren't expecting the Jets to be on the hook for fictitious funny money for voiding his deal. Knowing that he costs 9M to the Jets after his contract expires (I've never heard of that) makes it more imperative to get a deal done this offseason.

Haha, I was being sarcastic. Not trading him makes zero sense compensation wise and financially. I was simply mocking the people who actually believe what I sarcastically said.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

It is because his contract is technically not expiring, the final 3 years are being voided. So by voiding years left on the contract, his signing bonus money that was being prorated over the course of the contract accelerates and needs to be accounted for.