Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why haven't the Jets cut David Harris??

Why haven't the Jets cut David Harris??

He's one of the highest paid inside linebackers in the NFL (maybe the highest, not sure) and PFF had him rated as one of the worst in 2012. But I didn't need PFF to tell me that -- he was useless last season. Surely, cutting his contract would open up a lot of room, or is there a wrinkle to his contract that makes his release counter productive?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Because he's the only LB worth two sh*ts on the roster at the moment.

Is he overpayed? Sure

But he's still a damn good player in the prime of his career.

All Pro
    Cutting him would cost us $13.5m, keeping him costs $13m.

Hall Of Fame
    I feel he is redeemable after a bad year. Also you can't cut everyone, especially when we have already dumped just about all of our other lbs.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    /End thread

This is it basically. When it is fiscally feasible they will dump him

I guess that answers my question. What a mess Mr. T left us with.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

CUT EVERYONE!!!!!!

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    W T H?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Why is it a mess? He's not getting 13 million/year, is he? This is his biggest year.

According to Jason's website, he gets 13 million this year, and if cut we have 9 million in dead money, a savings of 4 million.

David Harris

The guy had a bad year. He's been a good linebacker for us. Is he overpaid? Sure, but let's not cut him just to save money, especially with no one else on the roster to take his place.

The entire team had a bad year. No reason to cut everyone who wasn't an All-Pro last year. If you want to cut someone with a large salary, start at Sanchez, not David Harris.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    /End thread

This is it basically. When it is fiscally feasible they will dump him
    2014 we save $5m if we cut him. Hello leverage!

Until then, it is what it is. Put a decent NT in front of him and see him improve.

Hall Of Fame
    Because not only would we not have a starting OLB on our roster, but also a starting ILB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Why is it a mess? He's not getting 13 million/year, is he? This is his biggest year.

According to Jason's website, he gets 13 million this year, and if cut we have 9 million in dead money, a savings of 4 million.

David Harris

The guy had a bad year. He's been a good linebacker for us. Is he overpaid? Sure, but let's not cut him just to save money, especially with no one else on the roster to take his place.

The entire team had a bad year. No reason to cut everyone who wasn't an All-Pro last year. If you want to cut someone with a large salary, start at Sanchez, not David Harris.
    He didn't have a bad year. The LBs around him did and now they are finally cut because they suck. He can't play all 4 LB at once.

Hall Of Fame
    Be patient. Only one more year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

David Harris

Jason's main page lists a different Dead Money if Cut value ... http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Either way, it's not worth it just to claw back a few cap dollars.

Also, if the numbers are right, Harris' cap hit goes down significantly next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Also, if the numbers are right, Harris' cap hit goes down significantly next year.
    It's interesting, if Harris is decent/pretty good next year, he's probably worth keeping for $7M

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's interesting, if Harris is decent/pretty good next year, he's probably worth keeping for $7M
    Absolutely. Have no problem with Harris at that number. This year's number hurts though.

Next year you can guarantee that Sanchez is a goner. If Santonio does anything to piss off anyone this year, he's out too.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Absolutely. Have no problem with Harris at that number. This year's number hurts though.

Next year you can guarantee that Sanchez is a goner. If Santonio does anything to piss off anyone this year, he's out too.
    I concur, but it's an interesting dilemma. You knwo he's overpaid, but do you cut him and get $4M back, or keep him, knowing this is a bit of a throwaway year anyhow, and then have him next year (last year of his deal) at a reasonable salary

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    He's one of the highest paid inside linebackers in the NFL (maybe the highest, not sure) and PFF had him rated as one of the worst in 2012. But I didn't need PFF to tell me that -- he was useless last season. Surely, cutting his contract would open up a lot of room, or is there a wrinkle to his contract that makes his release counter productive?
    Uh, because he regularly tackles opposing running backs when they break blocks? I don't know . . .

harris had over 100 tackles again. linebacker play is dependent on line play and the dline was only somewhat good. losing pouha was a big hole to fill and couples and ellis didn't come around as fast as they should have.