Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Why haven't the Jets cut David Harris??

  1. #1

    Why haven't the Jets cut David Harris??

    He's one of the highest paid inside linebackers in the NFL (maybe the highest, not sure) and PFF had him rated as one of the worst in 2012. But I didn't need PFF to tell me that -- he was useless last season. Surely, cutting his contract would open up a lot of room, or is there a wrinkle to his contract that makes his release counter productive?

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Because he's the only LB worth two sh*ts on the roster at the moment.

    Is he overpayed? Sure

    But he's still a damn good player in the prime of his career.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,654
    Cutting him would cost us $13.5m, keeping him costs $13m.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    I feel he is redeemable after a bad year. Also you can't cut everyone, especially when we have already dumped just about all of our other lbs.

  5. #5
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Cutting him would cost us $13.5m, keeping him costs $13m.
    /End thread

    This is it basically. When it is fiscally feasible they will dump him

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Cutting him would cost us $13.5m, keeping him costs $13m.
    I guess that answers my question. What a mess Mr. T left us with.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,927
    CUT EVERYONE!!!!!!

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,362
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Cutting him would cost us $13.5m, keeping him costs $13m.
    W T H?

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,412
    Why is it a mess? He's not getting 13 million/year, is he? This is his biggest year.

    According to Jason's website, he gets 13 million this year, and if cut we have 9 million in dead money, a savings of 4 million.

    David Harris

    The guy had a bad year. He's been a good linebacker for us. Is he overpaid? Sure, but let's not cut him just to save money, especially with no one else on the roster to take his place.

    The entire team had a bad year. No reason to cut everyone who wasn't an All-Pro last year. If you want to cut someone with a large salary, start at Sanchez, not David Harris.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    /End thread

    This is it basically. When it is fiscally feasible they will dump him
    2014 we save $5m if we cut him. Hello leverage!

    Until then, it is what it is. Put a decent NT in front of him and see him improve.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,289
    Because not only would we not have a starting OLB on our roster, but also a starting ILB.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,515
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Why is it a mess? He's not getting 13 million/year, is he? This is his biggest year.

    According to Jason's website, he gets 13 million this year, and if cut we have 9 million in dead money, a savings of 4 million.

    David Harris

    The guy had a bad year. He's been a good linebacker for us. Is he overpaid? Sure, but let's not cut him just to save money, especially with no one else on the roster to take his place.

    The entire team had a bad year. No reason to cut everyone who wasn't an All-Pro last year. If you want to cut someone with a large salary, start at Sanchez, not David Harris.
    He didn't have a bad year. The LBs around him did and now they are finally cut because they suck. He can't play all 4 LB at once.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,208
    Be patient. Only one more year.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Why is it a mess? He's not getting 13 million/year, is he? This is his biggest year.

    According to Jason's website, he gets 13 million this year, and if cut we have 9 million in dead money, a savings of 4 million.

    David Harris

    The guy had a bad year. He's been a good linebacker for us. Is he overpaid? Sure, but let's not cut him just to save money, especially with no one else on the roster to take his place.

    The entire team had a bad year. No reason to cut everyone who wasn't an All-Pro last year. If you want to cut someone with a large salary, start at Sanchez, not David Harris.
    Jason's main page lists a different Dead Money if Cut value ... http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

    Either way, it's not worth it just to claw back a few cap dollars.

  15. #15
    Also, if the numbers are right, Harris' cap hit goes down significantly next year.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,932
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Also, if the numbers are right, Harris' cap hit goes down significantly next year.
    It's interesting, if Harris is decent/pretty good next year, he's probably worth keeping for $7M

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's interesting, if Harris is decent/pretty good next year, he's probably worth keeping for $7M
    Absolutely. Have no problem with Harris at that number. This year's number hurts though.



    Next year you can guarantee that Sanchez is a goner. If Santonio does anything to piss off anyone this year, he's out too.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,932
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Absolutely. Have no problem with Harris at that number. This year's number hurts though.



    Next year you can guarantee that Sanchez is a goner. If Santonio does anything to piss off anyone this year, he's out too.
    I concur, but it's an interesting dilemma. You knwo he's overpaid, but do you cut him and get $4M back, or keep him, knowing this is a bit of a throwaway year anyhow, and then have him next year (last year of his deal) at a reasonable salary

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    He's one of the highest paid inside linebackers in the NFL (maybe the highest, not sure) and PFF had him rated as one of the worst in 2012. But I didn't need PFF to tell me that -- he was useless last season. Surely, cutting his contract would open up a lot of room, or is there a wrinkle to his contract that makes his release counter productive?
    Uh, because he regularly tackles opposing running backs when they break blocks? I don't know . . .

  20. #20
    harris had over 100 tackles again. linebacker play is dependent on line play and the dline was only somewhat good. losing pouha was a big hole to fill and couples and ellis didn't come around as fast as they should have.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us