Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaRon Landry

LaRon Landry

Can we still retain him?

This article doesn't even mention the Jets as a landing spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...everal-visits/

LaRon Landry slated to make several visits

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 12, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT

Getty Images
    The Colts are the first club safety LaRon Landry will visit in free agency.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, Landry could also visit the Cardinals, Lions and 49ers.

Arizona, Detroit and San Francisco all seem logical suitors for Landry if he does not sign with Indianapolis right off the bat. The Cardinals recently released Adrian Wilson. The Lions have questions at both safety spots, particularly if free agent Louis Delmas signs elsewhere. (The Lions were linked to Landry last year.) Also, 49ers free safety Dashon Goldson is testing free agency, with Tampa Bay in pursuit.

Landry ranks No. 47 on our list of the top free agents of 2013. He racked up a career-best 100 tackles for the Jets in 2012.

Jets Insider VIP
    Don't see any way he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Don't see any way he stays.
    I'm kinda okay with it. I think we got his last 'great' year out of him. I was very wrong about that signing, happily so... Best of luck to him.

If he stays all well and good. Otherwise there are other FA's out there. Maybe Michael Huff maybe worth a look or draft someone like Sharmakko (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I'm kinda okay with it. I think we got his last 'great' year out of him. I was very wrong about that signing, happily so... Best of luck to him.
    Has anyone else noticed that LaRon missed last week's game and is ruled out for this week?? Back to the old LaRon. Last year will never happen again for him. Glad we have his brother.

Hard hitting safetys, like dinosaurs, will soon be extinct. Goodell will penalize and fine them so much in the interest of safety that it won't be worth signing them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Hard hitting safetys, like dinosaurs, will soon be extinct. Goodell will penalize and fine them so much in the interest of safety that it won't be worth signing them IMO.
    Unless they play for his team in NE...

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Unless they play for his team in NE...
    That's why Brandon Meriweather had such a long and successful career in NE, because he kept getting away with all of his illegal hits?

All Pro
    I guess That's why Kerry Rhodes is out of a job

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that LaRon missed last week's game and is ruled out for this week?? Back to the old LaRon. Last year will never happen again for him. Glad we have his brother.
    He was good, and gave a certain attitude to our secondary that had been lacking, so I'm glad we signed him last year, but he was not great. Highlight reel hits, and missed tackles, blown coverages, and penalties, make him a little better than his brother, who is more consistently average. I'm sure Dawan secretly wishes he had Laron's skill, and that his brother is wasting it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I guess That's why Kerry Rhodes is out of a job
    Kerry would give helmet to helmet an entirely new meaning.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    That's why Brandon Meriweather had such a long and successful career in NE, because he kept getting away with all of his illegal hits?
    Absolutely. He is with the Redskins now and for a former pro bowler (lol) he is beyond awful... tells you about the Skins defense that they got nobody but him to start at SS...

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Only thing about Laron is you can live, and die by him.

No thanks, we need youth, this team can build through draft - can't wait for next two drafts,
    if they go well, we have the no 1 defense and great offense, as long as we don't trade our
    4th for a tebow, or a broken down injury machine like Ivory, we'll be fine, I think you get
    your best values in the 4th,

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Kerry would give helmet to helmet an entirely new meaning.
    Lmfao

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Laron is twice the player but half the man. Too soft / injury prone to max out his potential and have a nice career. Dawan got by with effort/efficiency/durability and zero talent/physical skills

Yep, I saw this coming 3 years ago. I do think that the big hitters are eventually just going to lower their target areas, resulting in major leg and rib injuries. We are already seeing sone of it. It's a lot easier to hit high, plus it opens up defenders for more injuries of their own, so not sure how it will turn out.

I clicked on this thread as I thought it would actually be someone praising our GM for not wasting money on Landry, who will be sitting out his second straight game tomorrow, but I guess not. Anyway, I do agree, the days of the headhunting safety are gone - you better be able to cover like a CB if you want to be a good deep safety.

One thing I do think is that guys like Laron Landry and fortunately for us, Antonio Allen, will have big roles going forward as teams play more 5 DBs in their base packages. The 4-2-5 defense has worked the best against the spread in college and I believe that is where the NFL is going and fortunately, looking at our draft picks, I think Rex knows that.

We have a 4 man line (yes i consider coples a DE not a LB) that can play the run without having 3 LBs behind them. We have 2 LBs that can both be "inside LBs" and then we have a player in Allen who thrives close to the line, can blitz, cover TEs (he will get better in that regard as he was very strong vs the TE in college) and play the run really well.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I clicked on this thread as I thought it would actually be someone praising our GM for not wasting money on Landry, who will be sitting out his second straight game tomorrow, but I guess not. Anyway, I do agree, the days of the headhunting safety are gone - you better be able to cover like a CB if you want to be a good deep safety.

One thing I do think is that guys like Laron Landry and fortunately for us, Antonio Allen, will have big roles going forward as teams play more 5 DBs in their base packages. The 4-2-5 defense has worked the best against the spread in college and I believe that is where the NFL is going and fortunately, looking at our draft picks, I think Rex knows that.

We have a 4 man line (yes i consider coples a DE not a LB) that can play the run without having 3 LBs behind them. We have 2 LBs that can both be "inside LBs" and then we have a player in Allen who thrives close to the line, can blitz, cover TEs (he will get better in that regard as he was very strong vs the TE in college) and play the run really well.
    Take a look at the date on this thread