Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keller at Fins

What a dickhead

I just don't understand all the Keller hate on this board. No, he's not worth a big salary. No, he's not in the discussion as far as elite TEs. But he also isn't in the discussion as far as players that have killed this team over the past couple of seasons.

This is a TE who's capable of a 70-catch season. For fans of a team that hasn't seen a TE with that ability in 30 years, I'm just surprised that people are so quick to throw him out with the garbage. He's endured below-average (at best) QB play outside of the first 11 games of his rookie season, and with the exception of an injury-plagued 2012, still put up respectable numbers.

I can understand celebrating the departure of guys like Pace, Scott and Smith. Not sure how Keller has become equally disposable, but maybe that's just me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I just don't understand all the Keller hate on this board. No, he's not worth a big salary. No, he's not in the discussion as far as elite TEs. But he also isn't in the discussion as far as players that have killed this team over the past couple of seasons.

This is a TE who's capable of a 70-catch season. For fans of a team that hasn't seen a TE with that ability in 30 years, I'm just surprised that people are so quick to throw him out with the garbage. He's endured below-average (at best) QB play outside of the first 11 games of his rookie season, and with the exception of an injury-plagued 2012, still put up respectable numbers.

I can understand celebrating the departure of guys like Pace, Scott and Smith. Not sure how Keller has become equally disposable, but maybe that's just me.
    Funny thing is if he had the same stats but was a FA from another team the Board Intelligentsia would be posting sign this beast..

I would say he's not leaving Miami without a contract.

Lets see how all the Keller haters feel mid season if he lands in Miami.

With a good QB Keller can be a very good weapon in the NFL. He will end up killing us if he lands in Miami.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    With a good QB Keller can be a very good weapon in the NFL. He will end up killing us if he lands in Miami.
    injury prone and tries to run before catching the ball..no big loss

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I would say he's not leaving Miami without a contract.
    I think your right. Fins lost their top TE target in Cook, and are spending up a storm. I would be shocked if he leaves w/o a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Lets see how all the Keller haters feel mid season if he lands in Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    I tend to agree. This team can't cover Scott Chandler. I see Keller being a handful twice a season if he lands with the Fins and Tannehill continues to progress.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Bye Keller.

Watching all these guys go is therapeutic, I could honestly not care less.

Bring in some young, fresh faces through a couple drafts and build from the ground up...that's fine by me.
    I agree. Im not invested in these people and really don't care.
    This year is a lost year anyway. He never did pan out to be the Dallas Clark we all though he could be.

All Pro
    As much as I would like to send that soft sack of sh*t Keller on his merry way....I will feel a little uneasy if he signs with the Fins..... Tannehill, Wallace, Hartline and Keller could become a dangerous passing attack if used properly....

Jets Insider VIP

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Bye Keller.

Watching all these guys go is therapeutic, I could honestly not care less.

Bring in some young, fresh faces through a couple drafts and build from the ground up...that's fine by me.
    Im going with this! Keller did not pass my eye test as a top 10 TE. Drops balls that are catchable (sure there are guys draped all over you but in the NFL you make that catch), and slow in space.
    Need a TE like Hernandez. If you can't block well, you better be able to catch (and get open), and run after!

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    Im going with this! Keller did not pass my eye test as a top 10 TE. Drops balls that are catchable (sure there are guys draped all over you but in the NFL you make that catch), and slow in space.
    Need a TE like Hernandez. If you can't block well, you better be able to catch (and get open), and run after!
    In order to make plays like Hernandez they would actually have to call plays to the TE and that never happened while Keller has been here. Schotty had Keller run 8 yards and sit over and over.

I wouldn't mind Keller back at the right price, but I certainly wouldn't shed any tears over his departure either, even to a division rival.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    I just don't get my fellow Jets fans.

You let go of aging, overpriced players on the downside. You don't let go of young, talented ones with an upside... unless you have a younger/cheaper/equally-or-more talented one in place or easily placeable.

If Keller can be signed for a reasonable price, sign him. That kid gets a QB who can throw, and stay healthy, he's going to blow up.

And, if in the division, blow up on us. Miami has the right idea... they are developing their passing attack with talented, young players and a good passing-minded coach with a track record.

Then, we will keep blowing.

Ah, WTF.... why try....
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 03-13-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    I just don't get my fellow Jets fans.

You let go of aging, overpriced players on the downside. You don't let go of young, talented ones with an upside... unless you have a younger/cheaper/equally-or-more talented one in place or easily placeable.

If Keller can be signed for a reasonable price, sign him. That kid gets a QB who can throw, and stay healthy, he's going to blow up.

And, if in the division, blow up on us. Then, we keep blowing.

Ah, WTF.... why try....
    Going into his second contract he is not going to be cheap enough and his performance doesn't warrant paying him the money he wants. But i do wory about him going i dolphins and blowing up

Because he is just average, if that. Nothing about his game is above average and his blocking is way below average. He rarely breaks tackles/run over guys and he rarely breaks free of a LB to turn a short pass into a long gain.

He is serviceable. Not going to lose any sleep one way or the other. Would rather he sign with the Dolphins then have the Jets spend 5 million on him.

Tough one, Keller never seemed to live up to his potential here. He is Sanchez's favorite target and definitely has upside.

I'm concerned with Wallace, and would be more so with Keller, giving them a deep threat when they are already good underneath with Hartline and Bess.

The Ellerby contract doesn't make much sense to me. ILB is not a position to spend that much money IMO (cough David Harris)

Veteran
    this was one of the most hilarious threads to read. our leading receiver 2 seasons ago and the only receiver with chemistry with sanchez, who lets face it, is going to be the starting QB. i guess everyones content with Cumberland as our starting TE? and since when is keller injury prone? as far as i remember, the ankle injury that kept him out last season was his first major injury. dudes been a great player for the offense, and being that our defense couldn't cover a pee wee football tight end, we better hope he doesn't goto Miami.