Thread: Rex is finished

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Rex is finished

With all the outgoing and nothing coming back, it is obvious to me that they r hanging Rex out and he will take the full brunt of a 4-5 win season this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even finish the year.

Wow...just wow

It is starting to appear that Woody was hell-bent on not paying two head coaching salaries this season. That, and not his reported infatuation with Rex seems like the driving force behind his retention.

Also seems like Woody is treating this as a lost/sunk/transition year.

Or he go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.

Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
    Anyone?

I think Rex should get a little lead way with the little talent this roster will have next year but that wont happen. Everyone hates Rex and i really dont understand why. Where is the sure upgrade from him? If he leaves i bet our defense will go into the tank. I hope for a miracle he has a decent season and is able to save his job so we can load for next year and make a run with him as coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13 View Post
    With all the outgoing and nothing coming back, it is obvious to me that they r hanging Rex out and he will take the full brunt of a 4-5 win season this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even finish the year.
    He may well be gone but I have to see how the team is after camp it's way too early for me to see just 4 or 5 wins.. However he could be gone even if the team managed a 9-7 record..

Ah, the over-reactionary post based on activity from one friggin day of free agency...a JI staple.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree that this is the most likely outcome but they will get Rex some kids to work with, he already has some kids on the roster and he has a chance to see what he can get done during a period when we are seriously rebuilding and digging out from under the mess that the last GM bequeathed to his successor. The QB play will be no worse than last year and the defense has a chance to be younger and more athletic.

Not a high probability of a good outcome but not zero either. I also think that part of the deal in this kind of transition is that it can tend to increase the length of the honeymoon period afforded to the new GM. Especially if it is clear, as it is in this case, that retaining Rex was a decision from ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He may well be gone but I have to see how the team is after camp it's way too early for me to see just 4 or 5 wins.. However he could be gone even if the team managed a 9-7 record..
    If we start 1-7 and miraculously finish the season 7-1 does Rex keep his job?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ballinpb25 View Post
    Good question who knows not me..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ballinpb25 View Post
    Wrecks would be gone if the Jets start 1-7.

If there is some good coaching candidate knocking down jets door I would understand switch in 14. But to just bring in a izdik yes man with little experience, switch can really hurt the team.. Doubt new coach will carry the D the way Rex does, so figure a average to bellow D. If Marty m can be a decent OC for the jets, would be first time in over a decade, having Rex stay is best for jets..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

2 starting DL's gone, 3 starting LB's gone, Revis and Landry probably gone. And maybe even Bell.

Thats 7, maybe 8 out of 11 starters likely gone. Rex is the defense, never got to involved in the offense. If 7 or 8 new starters on the defensive side of the ball doesn't spell adios, then Rex must have pics of Woody doing somethjing un-natural.

BTW, curious why this was moved to the dump, seems to be attracting some interest.

I think it's just the opposite. I think Rex is here to stay. I don't think he's a lame duck coach at all. Regardless of the upcoming season. I think Rex will get at least the 2014 season. If the 2014 season is a disaster, then he will be gone but if the team is headed in the right direction in 2014, then he stays beyond that. I for one am tired of the coaching turnstile here as a longtime Jets fan. Stability at the head coaching position would be nice for a chnge. Rex is learning on the fly and will be solid. If not for us, then someone else. Patience as fans is what we need as hard as that is with our history. Every year on here everybody is screaming sign this beast, sign that beast, hire this coach, hire that coach. So how has that worked out for us?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This thread didn't deserved to be dumped!

Rex should've been shipped out with all these players and Tanny so we could have started totally fresh. But we aren't attractive yet.

But if we somehow are drafting #1-#2 overall next year we become a really attractive landing spot for a HC.

Gruden? Maybe Gruden or another solid offensive minded coach would like to start over with Manzel or Bridgewater.