Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Question: Does everything hinge on Revis?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Does everything hinge on Revis?

So after two days of FA, the Jets haven't made any significant signings. The have sign a couple of their own players which helps. But we have significant holes on both defense and offense to address. Is the Revis trade handicapping our ability to be free-agent players. And I'm not talking big tier 1 free agent acquisitions, but the ability to sign 1-2 key building blocks. I know we adjusted our cap by redoing Holmes & Cro's cap this year both were significant. I think the Jets cap page has us close to 13.5 under the cap which includes close to 5m for the rookie class. So what's up, why are we in a hold pattern? Is this Idzik low hanging fruit theory of letting the big players make a splash and then go in behind them and make some smart economic friendly deals?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    So after two days of FA, the Jets haven't made any significant signings. The have sign a couple of their own players which helps. But we have significant holes on both defense and offense to address. Is the Revis trade handicapping our ability to be free-agent players. And I'm not talking big tier 1 free agent acquisitions, but the ability to sign 1-2 key building blocks. I know we adjusted our cap by redoing Holmes & Cro's cap this year both were significant. I think the Jets cap page has us close to 13.5 under the cap which includes close to 5m for the rookie class. So what's up, why are we in a hold pattern? Is this Idzik low hanging fruit theory of letting the big players make a splash and then go in behind them and make some smart economic friendly deals?
    Here's the thing, we are only on day 2 of free agency which means be patient. Teams with alot of cap room are making these early moves for the obvious reason that they have the money. The revis trade i dont think is hindering us as far as free agency. I think idzik is waiting until its more of a buyers market to make any signings. If you are signing people the first couple days then chances are you are probably overpaying for them

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No at this point he is a minor piece. If we trade him we gain a pick if we keep him we keep money to sign a guy. Hence why unless we get a 1st it really isn't worth trading him. If we do and only get a 2nd it is a wash we have gained nothing. So I am saying no he is a very small part of the puzzle.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont get me wrong, overpaying for a player you want is not necessarily a bad thing if you obtain the player you want. The jets dont have the cash to do that however so waiting it out is probably the best move for this organization

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One small misconception about the Revis ordeal is this: if the Jets do not trade him this year, they will be hit with a $9M cap charge for next years salary cap.They gotta get rid of him now, they know he doesn't want to be here while were in a rebuilding stage, and he want's big money. He will definitely be gone next summer, let's hope this ends soon...if not big pie on our face.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One small misconception about the Revis ordeal is this: if the Jets do not trade him this year, they will be hit with a $9M cap charge for next years salary cap.They gotta get rid of him now, they know he doesn't want to be here while were in a rebuilding stage, and he want's big money. He will definitely be gone next summer, let's hope this ends soon...if not big pie on our face.
    I'd rather take the hit next year and just pay him to play here. Even if it is just one year. We will have 25-55 mil in cap space next year money is not an issue.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd rather take the hit next year and just pay him to play here. Even if it is just one year. We will have 25-55 mil in cap space next year money is not an issue.
    So he plays with us for 1 more year and walks then takes a bounty from some other team and we get nothing in return and we have to take a cap charge of $9M?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So he plays with us for 1 more year and walks then takes a bounty from some other team and we get nothing in return and we have to take a cap charge of $9M?
    Better then getting nothing back and paying in a capped year. I'd rather see him play as a Jet one more year then get nothing back in return. The money your quoting we are already paying one way or anther. I'd rather take the hit in a year we don't need the extra money. If all year really whining about is taking the hit next year as apposed to this year it is not a reason to trade him sorry it is chump change next year. We are building in the draft you don't need a lot of cash if you do it right. If we go on a spending spree next year that is just the JETS doing what they have always done. What you want to make a run at Cutler or Romo?
    Last edited by Dreamers; 03-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Free agency is only 24 hours old ... and the season doesn't start till September.

What's the rush?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of the major CBs have signed yet, so that's at least a positive sign. I'll start to get worried if Talib, Grimes, Sean Smith, DRC, and those kind of guys all start to sign.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're not going after top tier free agents, so there's no hurry to sign anyone. Let the insanity settle, then go bargain-shopping.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    None of the major CBs have signed yet, so that's at least a positive sign. I'll start to get worried if Talib, Grimes, Sean Smith, DRC, and those kind of guys all start to sign.
    @ProFootballWkly: Per @MaioccoCSN, there is "mutual interest" between the #49ers and former #Eagles CB Nnamdi Asomugha.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Better then getting nothing back and paying in a capped year. I'd rather see him play as a Jet one more year then get nothing back in return. The money your quoting we are already paying one way or anther. I'd rather take the hit in a year we don't need the extra money. If all year really whining about is taking the hit next year as apposed to this year it is not a reason to trade him sorry it is chump change next year. We are building in the draft you don't need a lot of cash if you do it right. If we go on a spending spree next year that is just the JETS doing what they have always done. What you want to make a run at Cutler or Romo?
    Dreamers, you can't simply let him walk for nothing. He's the only asset your team has, him playing this year means nothing since we won't be making a playoff run. If we trade him now there is no cap hit next year. Makes sense to get what you can for him now since he isn't in your long term plans.