Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Welker dumps Pats, signs with Denver.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    +1

Who exactly in NE was getting over 100 receptions a season before Welker? Oh, but you can put anybody there now since he's set the standard...
    Troy Brown averaged close to that for three years, before the ball was thrown as much as it is now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    He can drink 40 beers in a night???
    He's dating Margo Adams and can will himself invisible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he'll be better assuming he can maintain his health.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    He had a good run, but will never be the same player without brady.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rounds 1 - 4 in Fantasy drafts, just draft the Broncos..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can drink 40 beers in a night???
    LOL. I meant something along the lines of the football equivalent "the king of the two-out single with nobody on base", but I like yours better.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Patriots lowballing Welker on just a 2 year contract for 10 million, when he only got 2 million more from the Broncos is despicable, the Patriots and Belichick deserve the criticism.

Amendola is not Welker, he lacks durability, and is built like a stick. He's a shifty player like Welker was, but he's not nearly as tough, and he's been a dome player to this point, it will be interesting to see how a guy of his build handles the outdoor cold weather stadium.

30 million over 5 for a 28 year old that lacks durability? The hits will only get worse.

Very questionable move by the Pats.

As a Jets fan, Welker being gone is big.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetitude View Post
    The Patriots lowballing Welker on just a 2 year contract for 10 million, when he only got 2 million more from the Broncos is despicable, the Patriots and Belichick deserve the criticism.

Amendola is not Welker, he lacks durability, and is built like a stick.
    All valid points.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    No, I really don't. Peyton isn't the QB that Tom Brady is.
    Not any more, that's for sure. I'll be curious to see how well Manning will be able throw next year. He didn't have much zip left last year, especially in the bad weather. It'll also be interesting to see how he handles the pressure of yet another one and done playoff, the eighth of his career, especially since it was another P6 moment that lost the last playoff game.
    Last edited by Pats1960; 03-14-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm confused as to if people think Brady is better than Manning or the other way around?

Who cares? The Broncos are significantly better, and the Patriots are significantly worse at this point. Let's see what the rest of Free Agency will provide.
    Significantly worse?

The Pats will still win 12-14 games and compete for the Super Bowl without Welker.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm confused as to if people think Brady is better than Manning or the other way around?

Who cares? The Broncos are significantly better, and the Patriots are significantly worse at this point. Let's see what the rest of Free Agency will provide.
    As fans that's all that we can do.

I haven't had a problem with the way the Pats handle things when it comes to their loyalty to a player and the dollar amounts, and I'm not sure that any amount of money would have brought Welker back, but there has to come a time when you can't preach loyalty to the team when you don't give loyalty back to a good (foot) soldier like Welker.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    That's as I suspected. I guarantee that Brady signed for that discounted salary so that they could keep Welker.

Just another reason why it's dumb for a player not to maximize what they're getting in each contract negotiation.

One of the things that I noticed about Brady is that he has always been a company man and will toe the company line no matter what. I consider that one of his strengths, and prefer that over a QB that has to approve any deal a team makes regarding "his" offense.

I'm sure Brady doesn't like it that Welker wanted out and the Pats were more than willing to oblige him, but I don't think for a minute that it will have a negative affect on Brady's play. The guy is obsessed with winning.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Nope, the Patriots final offer was $10M over 2 years, and they wouldn't add the $2M to match Denver's offer.
    How do you know that? It's possible that Welker never gave the Pats an option to match and wanted out all along.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't sure that Welker would thrive in another system like he did in NE. I'm pretty sure, however, that he found a place where they will use his skills to the fullest.

It doesn't mean he'll have 100+ catches - I'm sure he won't - but Manning will be able to find him in the slot with impunity, whenever he wants.

This clearly became an ego thing. If anyone thought (even a week ago)that all it would take was $12m, they would have said "of course the Pats will do it". If he was asking for 3 yrs at $10m per, I understand, you say thanks and adios. But Welker has 2 years left. Maybe not at 110 catches, but he hasn't slowed down at all. And his value is greater to the Pats than anywhere else.

Amendola is a nice player, but JMO, he's closer to Edelman than Welker.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't sure that Welker would thrive in another system like he did in NE. I'm pretty sure, however, that he found a place where they will use his skills to the fullest.

It doesn't mean he'll have 100+ catches - I'm sure he won't - but Manning will be able to find him in the slot with impunity, whenever he wants.

This clearly became an ego thing. If anyone thought (even a week ago)that all it would take was $12m, they would have said "of course the Pats will do it". If he was asking for 3 yrs at $10m per, I understand, you say thanks and adios. But Welker has 2 years left. Maybe not at 110 catches, but he hasn't slowed down at all. And his value is greater to the Pats than anywhere else.

If Edelman or Amendola could stay healthy for 16 games, I don't think Welker would be missed at all. The main difference IMO is that Welker is uniquely durable (despite his age) and the other two guys are extremely injury prone (despite their age).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Amendola is 6 years younger than Welker and has never played in an offense like the Pats.

If he was nothing more than an Edelman clone, the Pats never would have signed him.