Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL players are awfully underpaid

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL players are awfully underpaid

for sure it is a consequence of the nature of the sport: short careers means no willingness to sacrifice paychecks on the part of the players in a lockout/strike. even the very best players get, what, $40-$50M guaranteed? maybe fewer than five per year sign this type of deal. and we have a player like Welker, "the premier slot receiver in the game", signing for the price of a middle reliever in baseball. quite a travesty in an physically brutal sport that grosses $9-10B in revenues per year, heading towards $15B by the end of the decade.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I'm underpaid

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No, I'm underpaid
    What he said.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No, I'm underpaid
    +10000 me tooooo

I mean really these guys are making millions. If half these guys had better money management skills they will be set for a reallly long time. But to complain that guys making millions of dollars are underpaid is ridiculous

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ballinpb25 View Post
    +10000 me tooooo

I mean really these guys are making millions. If half these guys had better money management skills they will be set for a reallly long time. But to complain that guys making millions of dollars are underpaid is ridiculous
    the owners making billions for sitting in suits and watching the games are overpaid, not the players who risk life and limb for an average of 2-3 years, many of whom never do become "millionaires".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +10000 me tooooo

Guess Russell Wilson's salary.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they should play 162 games like baseball players, Or work 5 days a week for the entire year with 2 weeks off for vacation like the rest of us...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Exception does not prove the rule.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    blame that on when he was picked and the rookie wage scale. He will get his money soon enough

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So?

In another 2-3 years he'll probably have a deal in excess of $100 million.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    the owners making billions for sitting in suits and watching the games are overpaid, not the players who risk life and limb for an average of 2-3 years, many of whom never do become "millionaires".
    I guess if players don't like that they should become owners.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    blame that on when he was picked and the rookie wage scale. He will get his money soon enough
    rookie wage scales are another horrible crime. they exist in all sports of course, but are especially fatal to players in the NFL, who often never see a second contract.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Risking life and limb is going a bit too far. Sure they our risking injury, but thats not risking your life. Only a few players come off with injuries that effect them for the rest of their lives. Please don't go into concussions either

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So? There are many more at his wage scale then Percy Harvin's or Joe Flaaco's. . He'll get paid - but the rest won't. That's the point

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he should hold out. He's the supposed most immportant player on his team and his Understudy makes more than he does.

The OP was right. These guys are way over paid.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    rookie wage scales are another horrible crime. they exist in all sports of course, but are especially fatal to players in the NFL, who often never see a second contract.
    Horrible crime my ass

Before the wage scale, you had college kids who had never played a down of pro football being handed $60+ million dollar contracts.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree with the rookie wage scale but it is fair to owners so they don't have to pay a guy a 50 millionn dollar contract without even playing a down in the nfl yet. So it is fair to an extent

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Risk life and limb, huh? You mean like firefighters and police, who get paid peanuts compared to these overpaid men playing a kids game.

Please buy a clue. You certainly have the correct screen name.