Thread: possible cheap option at safety: Jim Leonhard?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

possible cheap option at safety: Jim Leonhard?

Now I know Jim is limited by his size and will never be Ed Reed. But he's a Rex Ryan guy and with the huge turnover this defense will have this offseason, we could use one of those to teach the young guys that our roster will be loaded with. He will be cheap and played a full season last year. I think he's worth a flyer because, hey, he can't be worse than Josh Bush.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uh no. He can't cover.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    God no.

Most over rated Jet in the past 5 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Now I know Jim is limited by his size and will never be Ed Reed. But he's a Rex Ryan guy and with the huge turnover this defense will have this offseason, we could use one of those to teach the young guys that our roster will be loaded with. He will be cheap and played a full season last year. I think he's worth a flyer because, hey, he can't be worse than Josh Bush.
    Ya think that maybe JOSH BUSH should be allowed to develop before we dump on him? Rather then signing older players this team must get younger and develop its own guys!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Ya think that maybe JOSH BUSH should be allowed to develop before we dump on him? Rather then signing older players this team must get younger and develop its own guys!
    Bush and Allen are the only safeties on this team. Both are late-round picks in their 2nd year and got very few reps in their rookie year.

You don't think it'd be a good idea to have at least 1 veteran to mentor these guys? If not Leonhard then somebody else.

If Bush and Allen are the starting safeties then it's 4-12 next year (on 2nd thought, maybe not a bad thing if there's a franchise QB declaring for the draft)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was great his first year here. He was below average after that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bush and Allen are the only safeties on this team. Both are late-round picks in their 2nd year and got very few reps in their rookie year.

You don't think it'd be a good idea to have at least 1 veteran to mentor these guys? If not Leonhard then somebody else.

If Bush and Allen are the starting safeties then it's 4-12 next year (on 2nd thought, maybe not a bad thing if there's a franchise QB declaring for the draft)
    This draft is very deep with CBs and FS and SS types. So is Free Agency. I think we need to go young and develop them. They do want Landry back and he has not signed antwhere yet. Antonio Allan is going to be a very good player. I have hopes for Bush too. They will never learn sitting on the bench! Let em play and see what happens. I am not expecting a trip to the SB this year anyway!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I get what you're saying and I agree that some veteran bodies are needed in the safety area, but not sure that Leonhard is the answer at this point. Nothing against him though as I loved his all out style of play here. To be fair, although they were late round picks both Bush and Allen were considered to be late round steals at the time of the draft.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    noooooooooo

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    This draft is very deep with CBs and FS and SS types. So is Free Agency. I think we need to go young and develop them. They do want Landry back and he has not signed antwhere yet. Antonio Allan is going to be a very good player. I have hopes for Bush too. They will never learn sitting on the bench! Let em play and see what happens. I am not expecting a trip to the SB this year anyway!
    This!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan Mundy would be a good cheap option. He's ready to make the transition to full time starter after being on spot duty the past few years behind Clark and Polamalu.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    wouldnt mind signing him to a one year deal

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pollard or bust

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No he sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too many good DB's available in FA that we can actually sign at reasonable money to be wasting time on this scrub who couldn't cover my Grandma.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was one of my favorites- he's younger than Bell and if Landry signs elswehere, he would be a great veteran presence. And, VERY cheap.