Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THE REVIS DEAL ON THE TABLE... Would you take it?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    *smh* No, we do NOT have to get this thing done. It is not imperative that the Jets trade Revis. In fact, he should only be traded if they make a concerted effort to re-sign him and he says no.

Geez, what is wrong with some of you people? Why the urge to get rid of a HOF player? Shouldn't the Jets try to re-sign him first? I certainly think so. Plus there's nothing wrong with him playing out his contract and leaving.

The Bucs should give their first young pick THIS year, plus another pick and a player. If not, tell them to F off.
    Hey I totally agree with you. Make him play out his contract year.

If we HAD TO TRADE HIM, we ought to get firsts this year and next... I HATE that the jets are preparing trade away a true franchise player. I mean, whats the point in even drafting in the 1st round if you're not planning on making that player a Jet for life??

...however, realistically, I think the damage is done. There's an irreparable wound between Revis and the FO. It almost has to happen now.

2013 2nd
    2013 4th
    2014 2nd (Conditional to 1st if criteria met)
    2014 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

If we HAD TO TRADE HIM, we ought to get firsts this year and next... I HATE that the jets are preparing trade away a true franchise player. I mean, whats the point in even drafting in the 1st round if you're not planning on making that player a Jet for life??

...however, realistically, I think the damage is done. There's an irreparable wound between Revis and the FO. It almost has to happen now.
    Show Revis the money and all will be well......Just pay him what the Bucs would have extended him at, that is the fair market value

Revis doesn't wanna leave the Jets he just wants to get paid

All League
    A 2nd this year and a 1st next year.

Worse comes to worse... A 1st this year and next year's 2nd.

If the Jets are getting a 1st rounder next year they might as well ship Sanchez to Tampa as well. Cut the cord now. He could compete for the starting job (since, according to this board, Sanchez far outclasses Freeman). Now if he somehow charms (vs earns) his way into the starting role his play would likely add value to the 2014 pick.

ridiculous low ball for a future HOFer

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    ridiculous low ball for a future HOFer
    When you're trading a star player, you will rarely ever get fair value.

I've learned from all my years of watching sports, especially basketball.

Once again people missing the point. If Idzik does not take this he is a moron. Revis contract dictates you take the best you can get and move on. A 2014 first would be my choice.

Cool

You might be right. If that's the case...if he has no intention of signing with the Jets...then trade him. I hope that's not the case, because you're right; when you draft a great player, you lock him up long term. Or at least make every effort to do so. What's killing all of us is that we don't know whats going on behind the scenes.

The Jets can't ship him for that lowball offer, though. Shoot, I'd take Barron or Martin with some picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    I do think that they have a good point about next year's first more likely to grant a better prospect. #13 this year would yield us what... MAYBE Patterson? MAYBE Geno... Everything else is a mess.

Personally I think we should get a 2nd this year, AND a first next year., but we gotta get this thing done... As much as it pains me to say it.
    I agree. 2nd this year and a first next year.

I completely agree with everyone that thinks that even that is a lowball offer. But the reality is that you need a partner to dance and there sure doesn't seem to be a lot of teams willing to trade for Revis.

Every team wants him but very few teams will be willing to pay the ransom that they need to keep him. I'd love to sign him to a reasonable deal but I think Revis has shown that he isn't looking for a reasonable deal.

It's risk / reward.

Are you willing to take no risk and take a crappy deal? Or are you willing to take a greater risk and see if a better suitor comes along? The risk is that you have Revis play this year and lose him at the end of the year and take a $9 million cap hit.

I think the 2nd this year or a first next year is too low. But a 2nd this year and a first next year, though not "fair value" would be acceptable.

Everyone thinking we are getting a king's ransom is probably nuts. This is a great player who is coming off a big injury, is only signed for one year, can't be franchised, wants a mega-deal and all the teams know that if we don't sign him, we get screwed on next years cap.

The Jets are not in a horrible position but they certainly aren't in a great negotiating position. If he were signed for 2 years, we would be but he's not.

And the very few teams willing to take on Revis' enormous salary demands aren't trying to give us fair value. They are trying to screw us.

If there were more teams actively courting the Jets for his services, I would feel better but it sure sounds like there aren't.

I hope I'm wrong and we get more. Better yet, I hope I am wrong and we can sign Revis for a reasonable deal.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I agree. 2nd this year and a first next year.

I completely agree with everyone that thinks that even that is a lowball offer. But the reality is that you need a partner to dance and there sure doesn't seem to be a lot of teams willing to trade for Revis.

Every team wants him but very few teams will be willing to pay the ransom that they need to keep him. I'd love to sign him to a reasonable deal but I think Revis has shown that he isn't looking for a reasonable deal.

It's risk / reward.

Are you willing to take no risk and take a crappy deal? Or are you willing to take a greater risk and see if a better suitor comes along? The risk is that you have Revis play this year and lose him at the end of the year and take a $9 million cap hit.

I think the 2nd this year or a first next year is too low. But a 2nd this year and a first next year, though not "fair value" would be acceptable.

Everyone thinking we are getting a king's ransom is probably nuts. This is a great player who is coming off a big injury, is only signed for one year, can't be franchised, wants a mega-deal and all the teams know that if we don't sign him, we get screwed on next years cap.

The Jets are not in a horrible position but they certainly aren't in a great negotiating position. If he were signed for 2 years, we would be but he's not.

And the very few teams willing to take on Revis' enormous salary demands aren't trying to give us fair value. They are trying to screw us.

If there were more teams actively courting the Jets for his services, I would feel better but it sure sounds like there aren't.

I hope I'm wrong and we get more. Better yet, I hope I am wrong and we can sign Revis for a reasonable deal.
    If they aren't offered a very good deal, the Jets need to wait it out until next Fall......

A contender's number 1 CB could go down in training camp/early in the season

Also, a team might be willing to give away alot more in the next draft as opposed to picks in a draft a month away

"Worst case scenerio" is that we are "forced" to sign Revis to a long term deal, which means we have possibly the best CB ever on our roster for his career.......I am convinced that his camp and the Jets can figure out his real market value and meet someone in the middle if they really wanted to get it done.......

All League
    nope.

A 2nd round pick in 2013 & a 1st round pick in 2014 will suffice.

I know it doesn't sound like much. But like I said before, there's one thing I've learned from watching sports; When you are trading your star player, you will never get fair value in return. See it all the time in basketball.

We wont be good at all, but next year's draft will be alot better. So a 1st round pick will be alot more valuable next year. Maybe we could even use that extra 1st to trade up and get Teddy Bridgewater.

Jets need to take whatever they can get, and move on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    If they aren't offered a very good deal, the Jets need to wait it out until next Fall......

A contender's number 1 CB could go down in training camp/early in the season

Also, a team might be willing to give away alot more in the next draft as opposed to picks in a draft a month away

"Worst case scenerio" is that we are "forced" to sign Revis to a long term deal, which means we have possibly the best CB ever on our roster for his career.......I am convinced that his camp and the Jets can figure out his real market value and meet someone in the middle if they really wanted to get it done.......
    I think you mean wait until this fall, right?

It's definitely a chance but unless multiple teams' CBs get hurt, they Jets are still in a horrible position because teams know that they have to sign him, trade him or take a $9 mil cap hit in 2014. If they know they are the only suitor left, they are going to offer as little as possible.

I don't think the Jets need to panic and trade him before the $1 bonus on the 17th but if they can't sign him to a reasonable deal, I think they need to trade him sooner rather than later. Teams want their rosters to be set as soon as they can, especially in starting positions.

give me next years first and lets run with it.

This team is rebuilding, we most likely will have a top 10 pick next year, and im guessing tampa will have a top 15.

Two picks next year in the top 15 for trading away a player that clearly is all about himself? sign me up.

By the time this team is close to contending, revis will be at the end of his prime, theres no sense in giving him big money when we arent even close to being contenders.

Build through the draft the next two years and hope to get a Franchise QB next year with one of the two top 15 picks.

I must be missing something

Whats the argument for keeping revis and letting him play out his contract?

How does that help us?

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I think you mean wait until this fall, right?

It's definitely a chance but unless multiple teams' CBs get hurt, they Jets are still in a horrible position because teams know that they have to sign him, trade him or take a $9 mil cap hit in 2014. If they know they are the only suitor left, they are going to offer as little as possible.

I don't think the Jets need to panic and trade him before the $1 bonus on the 17th but if they can't sign him to a reasonable deal, I think they need to trade him sooner rather than later. Teams want their rosters to be set as soon as they can, especially in starting positions.
    Yeah this fall.....I get it but if I were running the Jets I would first look to deal him now or very soon IF I got a very good offer

If that didn't come along, I would just go with the stance that Revis is part of the Jets this season.....If someone offered something very good up until close to the trade deadline I would take it

Worst comes to worst, we hammer out a deal with Team Revis and Revis is a Jet for life.......Worse things can happen than having the best CB in the league, even if expensive

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Yeah this fall.....I get it but if I were running the Jets I would first look to deal him now or very soon IF I got a very good offer

If that didn't come along, I would just go with the stance that Revis is part of the Jets this season.....If someone offered something very good up until close to the trade deadline I would take it

Worst comes to worst, we hammer out a deal with Team Revis and Revis is a Jet for life.......Worse things can happen than having the best CB in the league, even if expensive
    Worst comes to worst, Revis walks at the end of this season.

Honestly it has gotten to the point where we have no choice but to trade him. I highly doubt he wants to be a Jet for life after everything that is going on and i also highly doubt the jets want to pay him.

Jets Insider VIP
    By the way, I can damn well guarantee you that all of the fans that think the Jets should hold out for a kings ransom for Revis will itch like hell if Idzik doesn't get it. Even if this means nobody else made a better offer.

But the same people will also ***** if we hold out and ultimately end up watching Revis walk away and the Jets get nothing.

IMHO, Tanny screwed up by not making something happen last year. He should have dealt with this when Revis' contract still had meat left on the bone. Tanny should have approached him to see if he would accept a reasonable contract and if not, offered to trade him with a much more desirable two years left on the contract.

All Pro
    If we wait until fall we take an extra 9 mil cap hit. He has to be traded now. 3rd this year, and first next year and I'd jump at it. You'll find out how many wins a HOF CB actually gets you when we have a top 10 pick next year. Franchise QB time.