Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Landry next Jet to go. Signs with Colts: 4 yrs/$24mm

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    S Bush
    S Allen
    No way the Jets go with essentially two rookies at safety. The defense will get absolutely shredded.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    No way the Jets go with essentially two rookies at safety. The defense will get absolutely shredded.
    What else can the Jets do at this point?

This is going to happen. They may sign someone, but the safeties are almost all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Jets 2012 Defense

Mo
    Pouha (Gone)
    Devito (Gone)
    Pace (Gone)
    Harris
    Bart (Gone)
    Thomas (Gone)
    Cro
    Wilson
    Landry (Gone)
    Bell (Gone)
    Revis (Limbo)

Scary turnover
    But expected

What else can the Jets do at this point?

This is going to happen. They may sign someone, but the safeties are almost all gone.
    Pollard, Huff, Kerry Rhodes and others available. Jets need to pick up a S in the mid rounds like Shamarko

Jets Insider VIP
    Landry posted a tweet thanking the Jets for the best year of his career.

He got $14 mil guaranteed after playing for them, I'd thank them too!

Laron Landry has become very overrated. The guy wasn't even that great in coverage. He gave up 458 yards in coverage last year which was 7th worst out of all qualified safeties

He was solid last year but got over paid by the Colts. He was worth prob 4 mill a yr max not 6 mill. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Pollard, Huff, Kerry Rhodes and others available. Jets need to pick up a S in the mid rounds like Shamarko
    There is some lacking in Pollard's game.

The only one above that is somewhat complete is Huff, and his play has declined from what it was - and that wasn't very high.

BTW, Laron's brother Dawan is available.

He played for Rex before in Baltimore.

I'd take him on a 1 year deal

Jets Insider VIP
    Jets 2012 Defense

Mo
    Pouha (Gone)
    Devito (Gone)
    Pace (Gone)
    Harris
    Bart (Gone)
    Thomas (Gone)
    Cro
    Wilson
    Landry (Gone)
    Bell (Gone)
    Revis (Limbo)

Scary turnover
    Yeah but we're still not rebuilding, brah!

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Yeah but we're still not rebuilding, brah!
    2013: Superbowl or bust.

Please lets sign Pollard. Love this guy, physical. Tough dude, led baltimore in tackles last year with 71 while playing most of the year with 6 broken ribs

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    how in the world can you say that after 2 days of free agency and you have not even seen who the jets draft...lol some of you are truly amazing with these march predictions sheesh.

Pouha, DeVito, Thomas, Revis didn't play the majority of the season.

The rest won't affect the defense as much as long as you get someone decent in there. The LBs couldn't cover the TEs, and Revis didn't play.

I believe we'll miss the safeties, however.

The starting defense will most likely look like this:

DE Wilkerson
    DE Coples
    DT/NT Ellis
    LB Harris
    LB Davis
    LB -
    LB -
    CB Cromartie
    CB Wilson
    S Bush
    S Allen

We need to sign/draft players. Most likely draft. I don't believe the Jets are going to be active in free agency for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    how in the world can you say that after 2 days of free agency and you have not even seen who the jets draft...lol some of you are truly amazing with these march predictions sheesh.
    I'm not saying they're not going to make secondary and/or tertiary signings, and maybe the occaisional splash with a big name, but Idzik is going to follow the Seattle method of doing things - through the draft mainly. He's going to look to the coaches and hold them accountable - like they did in Seattle. He's said this already.

There are something that are changing. We're talking generalities. Maybe there can be spots filled, but they're not yet.

Jets could have signed Kruger, or resigned Landry, or Ellerbe or someone at that level, but they didn't. Now they're sitting about ` million under the cap.

They're trying to fix the team for the future, not some short term band aid so we can be 9-7 again.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Laron Landry has become very overrated. The guy wasn't even that great in coverage. He gave up 458 yards in coverage last year which was 7th worst out of all qualified safeties
    This! Most people are just remembering some strong tackles and think he's had this performance the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    This! Most people are just remembering some strong tackles and think he's had this performance the whole season.
    I believe Landry played much better than what the Jets are used to at that position. That's one of the reasons he stood out to the fans, IMO.

He was voted to the Pro-Bowl, and I wonder how much of that was how he played, and how much was reputation.

Idzik pulling the rug from under Rex

Going to be a rough couple of years
    But I think its the tough medicine that this team needs. I like what Idzik is doing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    But I think its the tough medicine that this team needs. I like what Idzik is doing so far.
    +1. It's what I was talking about above. The days of playing Madden football with the roster is over.

+1. It's what I was talking about above. The days of playing Madden football with the roster is over.
    Agreed. But the hard part to changing this franchise around will be to acquire a franchise QB. And that is why this team has to take the Bucs #1 pick in 2014 that they now offering.

The Jets will be getting compensation for all the free agents that they lost, especially due to the large contracts that some have signed (Keller should do well too). Now they can't trade those picks but they sure can trade their own picks plus their #1 and the Bucs #1 and get a franchise QB in 2014.

That is what I am rooting for.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Agreed. But the hard part to changing this franchise around will be to acquire a franchise QB. And that is why this team has to take the Bucs #1 pick in 2014 that they now offering.

The Jets will be getting compensation for all the free agents that they lost, especially due to the large contracts that some have signed (Keller should do well too). Now they can't trade those picks but they sure can trade their own picks plus their #1 and the Bucs #1 and get a franchise QB in 2014.

That is what I am rooting for.
    I'm hoping for as many picks as possible as well. I don't want them to lose on purpose, I'm not for that and never will be, but I want as many draft picks as possible.

In a best case scenario, the Jets get 1 4th round comp pick next year, but realistically they'll get one or two 5ths at very best.