Thread: The Bucs' Offer and Tampering

The Bucs' Offer and Tampering

This is an angle that hasn't been discussed here. The assumption is that Tampa is offering only a first rounder because it's essentially a one year rental. However I've seen chatter about tampering with Schwarz and Feinsod, and to me that makes a lot of sense...

OFFICIALLY the Bucs do not have a long term deal in place with Revis, but if his agents have worked out an illegal deal with the Bucs now, it benefits everyone EXCEPT the Jets:

-It allows the Bucs to cry "rental" and pay rental trade value when in reality they have already reached an agreement on a multi year deal.

-It allows Revis' agents to negotiate a bigger monetary deal, because of bulletpoint one..the draft value they'd lose under this agreement is such a bargain that higher contract price can be justified.

-It allows Revis to play long term for a team that has only given up one draft pick for his services.

Meanwhile the Jets would be trading Revis on a long term deal and only getting value for Revis on a rental.

Is there any wonder why Revis' agents keep leaking to the press that "the Jets have never contacted them to talk contracts with trade partners"? It allows them to keep up this whole charade.

The proper course of action for Idzik is to tell the Bucs to shove it unless they are willing to build in conditional picks for Revis being a Buccaneer on April 1, 2014. Any deal short of conditional picks based on long term contract will leave the Jets victim to the tampering that has surely taken place.
    Last edited by Astoria; 03-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.

2013 first round draft pick, 2014 conditional 2nd round pick that moves up to a 1st round pick if he signs long term.

That's what we should be looking at.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    This is an angle that hasn't been discussed here. The assumption is that Tampa is offering only a first rounder because it's essentially a one year rental. However I've seen chatter about tampering with Schwarz and Feinsod, and to me that makes a lot of sense...

It behooves Revis and his agents for his new team to keep as many draft picks as possible. Officially the Bucs do not have a long term deal in place with Revis, but if his agents have worked out an illegal deal with the Bucs now, it benefits everyone EXCEPT the Jets:

-It allows the Bucs to cry "rental" and pay rental trade value when in reality they have already reached an agreement on a multi year deal.

-It allows Revis' agents to negotiate a bigger monetary deal, because of bulletpoint one..the draft value they'd lose under this agreement is such a bargain that higher contract price can be justified.

-It allows Revis to play long term for a team that has only given up one draft pick for his services.

Meanwhile the Jets would be trading Revis on a long term deal and only getting value for Revis on a rental.

Is there any wonder why Revis' agents keep leaking to the press that "the Jets have never contacted them to talk contracts with trade partners"? It allows them to keep up this whole charade.

The proper course of action for Idzik is to tell the Bucs to shove it unless they are willing to build in conditional picks for Revis being a Buccaneer on April 1, 2014. Any deal short of conditional picks based on long term contract will leave the Jets victim to the tampering that has surely taken place.
    Vilma and the Saints screwed the Jets but that ain't happening with Idzik..

Veteran
    Totally reasonable speculation. Certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Vilma and the Saints screwed the Jets but that ain't happening with Idzik..
    Well we could hope. I love his patience so far but I really hope he is serious in saying today that keeping Revis is an option as well. Not so much because I'd want to keep him, but it has to be an option to get any sort of a fair deal. Would be a good time to start talking contracts with Schwarz and Feinsod.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    2013 first round draft pick, 2014 conditional 2nd round pick that moves up to a 1st round pick if he signs long term.

100% agree

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

I agree ... but I think it's ambitious ...

For me, the only way to negotiate from strength is if you can visualize turning down the deal if you do not get what you want. If the Jets do not get what they want, I think the approach should be to be prepared to pay the off-season bonus's and attempt to sign Revis longterm to the Jets. If they are not prepared to keep Revis (and in the worse case scenario, loose him at the end of next season) ... then they are not negotiating from strength in attempting to deal him.