Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Revis off the market per PFT

I see allot of teams need CB help. almost desperate. Broncos, 49ers, Pats, Giants all contenders that get abused by the pass. I dont get why the Broncos are not asking about Revis. I guess they will have a good offense and decent defense that will give up the winning drive in the playoffs to a good quarterback attacking their weakness..

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    It means the rebuild will take longer / occur at a later date. Young talent needs to be infused into the line up sooner rather than later. A rookie drafted next year's peak years are supposedly one year later than a rookie drafted this year's.

Also yes there is a risk the Bucs are better and their pick is worse.
    Hmm.

i hear ya, but seriously, its just a year. Picks are 50/50 anyhow. The Bucs may be worse....Freeman was Sanchezing it up down the stretch last year.

Take that 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by jkjet View Post
    I see allot of teams need CB help. almost desperate. Broncos, 49ers, Pats, Giants all contenders that get abused by the pass. I dont get why the Broncos are not asking about Revis. I guess they will have a good offense and decent defense that will give up the winning drive in the playoffs to a good quarterback attacking their weakness..
    broncos- just signed DRC
    49ers- likely to sign Nnamdi
    pats/giants- really?

1. Brent Grimes, Atlanta Falcons
    2. Sean Smith, Miami Dolphins (UPDATE: Agreed to terms with the Kansas City Chiefs)
    3. Aqib Talib, New England Patriots
    4. Chris Houston, Detroit Lions (UPDATE: Agreed to re-sign with the Detroit Lions)
    5. Antoine Winfield, Minnesota Vikings
    6. Keenan Lewis, Pittsburgh Steelers
    7. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Philadelphia Eagles (UPDATE: Rodgers-Cromartie and the Denver Broncos agreed to a one-year deal on Wednesday night, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.
    8. Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia Eagles
    9. Bradley Fletcher, St. Louis Rams (UPDATE: Agreed to terms with the Philadelphia Eagles)
    10. Derek Cox, Jacksonville Jaguars (UPDATE: Cox agreed to a four-year congtract with the San Diego Chargers late Wednesday, U-T San Diego reported.
    11. Cary Williams, Baltimore Ravens
    12. Dunta Robinson, Atlanta Falcons (UPDATE: Signed with the Kansas City Chiefs)
    13. Greg Toler, Arizona Cardinals (UPDATE: Agreed to terms with the Indianapolis Colts)
    14. Adam Jones, Cincinnati Bengals
    15. DeAngelo Hall, Washington Redskins
    16. E.J. Biggers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    17. Antoine Cason, San Diego Chargers
    18. Kyle Arrington, New England Patriots
    19. Mike Jenkins, Dallas Cowboys
    20. Tracy Porter, Denver Broncos

I just want to know one thing. How in the heck is Cason only 17th on this list?! I get there is a LOT of good CB in this years FA but really. Wasn't he in a pro bowl a year or 2 ago?

21. Jerraud Powers, Indianapolis Colts (UPDATE: Signed with the Arizona Cardinals)
    22. Quentin Jammer, San Diego Chargers
    23. Captain Munnerlyn, Carolina Panthers
    24. Aaron Ross, Jacksonville Jaguars
    25. Jacob Lacey, Detroit Lions
    26. Stanford Routt, Houston Texans
    27. Chris Owens, Atlanta Falcons
    28. Sheldon Brown, Cleveland Browns
    29. Terence Newman, Cincinnati Bengals
    30. Joselio Hanson, Oakland Raiders
    31. William Middleton, Jacksonville Jaguars
    32. Rashean Mathis, Jacksonville Jaguars
    33. Marcus Trufant, Seattle Seahawks
    34. Darius Butler, Indianapolis Colts (UPDATE: Agreed to terms with the Indianapolis Colts)
    35. Drayton Florence, Detroit Lions (UPDATE: Agreed to terms with the Carolina Panthers)
    36. Brice McCain, Houston Texans
    37. Ryan Mouton, Tennessee Titans
    38. Shawntae Spencer, Oakland Raiders
    39. Terrence McGee, Buffalo Bills
    40. Kelvin Hayden, Chicago Bears
    41. Brandon McDonald, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    42. Chris Carr, San Diego Chargers
    43. Cedric Griffin, Washington Redskins
    44. Alan Ball, Houston Texans
    45. D.J. Moore, Chicago Bears
    46. Will Allen, New England Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Good

I'm loving Idzik so far.

I'm all for trading Revis but there's no damn way that you just give him away for pennies on the dollar.
    Idzik's a smart dude and playing it perfectly.

Whoever want Revis needs to pony up the picks or whistle dixie someplace else.

All League
    5 years 60 mil
    35 guaranteed
    get'er done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Im glad Izdik took him off.. I was worried because cheap SOB woody im sure its pushing him to trade revis before he has to pay him a few mil due in 2days? Sure tampa knows this.. I know some of our own fans are nuts or just in huge denial thinking we are getting a huge ransom for revis. I thought Id share the other side of the coin and what some of the what I guess is bucks fans comments off ESPN article about revis.. Now I want jets to keep revis, let him start year and trade hm in season..

warning some of these morons will make you want to punch through your computer screen..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...rst-round-pick

How can you compare Revis to Percy Harvin??? An ACL is so huge in what a CB has to do. And Percy Harvin isn't coming off ACL surgery and had a HUGE year.

How is Revis the best Cornerback in the league? Based on what? What did he do last season? If you're going on what he did 2 years ago, then hey, I think Strahan is the best pass rusher available if you can get him out of retirement. With an injury such as an ACL and an entire year off, you just don't know what Revis is capable of or incapable of... ridiculous to call him the best when he didn't even play.

Half of what he was is still very good though. But not 1st rounder good. or even 16 million a year good. I would say he's worth a 2nd at best considering his current condition.

Rhitson88

No doubt I would give my blessing as a Bucs fan on a 2nd rounder. But they are just not going to squeeze out a first rounder from the Bucs ownership. Not after the results they got from the group they drafted last year in the first 3 rounds. Besides, as much as the Bucs need CBs, they aren't desperate. They can easily sign Sean Smith and Derrick Cox and be done with it. Then using their 1st round pick on the OLB out of Georgia. I would prefer that route anyway.

KARLIII

Revis is coming off a major knee injury. No way can he garner a 1st round pick, especially one as high as 13.
    Who cares what those trogs think? Revis on the Jets makes it a better team.

Keep him and work on re-signing him to a sensible contract. If he really wants to retire a Jets prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkjet View Post
    First The broncos were good against the pass last year. they were 3rd best right behind the jets at 2. Flacco played lights out against them, as he did against the pats and 9ers. Fans look at one game and make the wrong conclusions. you do understand they they have to play under the salary cap also.

woody's playing him like a yoyo. i seriously hope they make him do camp and start the season

Just sign Revis unless someone offers a 1 and 2 at minimum.....He makes our D so much better and we drafted a HOF'er that should stay with us during his prime

Stop acting like a child Woody and try to make it work.....

Revis's camp now knows what the Bucs would give him and we can work off of that

If they truly are demanding a completely ridiculous contract than I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.....But it sounds like Woody is saying No way from the start which is beyond dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    5 years 60 mil
    35 guaranteed
    get'er done.
    That's a good deal for both sides

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    woody's playing him like a yoyo. i seriously hope they make him do camp and start the season
    You do realize, that means he will cost the Jets $9m against the cap in the 2014 season, even if he is on another team.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    You do realize, that means he will cost the Jets $9m against the cap in the 2014 season, even if he is on another team.
    Oh, sure he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    5 years 60 mil
    35 guaranteed
    get'er done.
    I'm with this.

Or, at least a high 1 and a 2. rather have the 1 next year, Johnny Football 2014?

All League
    So many on this board have convinced themselves that the Jets have no leverage in this situation.

I've read over and over the argument that we have to, "Trade him right now for whatever we can get, or else we'll lose him next year for nothing."

But this is a flawed argument because it ignores the fact that THE LAST thing any player in his position would want to do is play this year without a new contract. Revis may be too arrogant or too stupid to realize it, but his agents must know that would be a massive gamble. He shouldn't even report to camp without a new deal -- and he HAS to report to camp (no holdout language in contract).

So, in my opinion, the front office is doing exactly what they should do. They realize we have decent leverage here. We have TWO good possible avenues...and options equal leverage. We can trade him for a GOOD offer (at least a #1 and another mid-round pick, IMO...and yes, I'm talking about this year's draft. Waiting a year ALWAYS reduces the value of the pick, and if someone is offering next year picks, they need to blow us away with value). Or resign him to a reasonable deal (I'd be OK with 5/60 35ish guaranteed deal mentioned earlier in this thread...but they shouldn't go higher than 12 per, IMO). We should pursue both avenues simultaneously, and see which comes through first. And finally, if Revis and his people are stupid enough to let him try to play out the year on his one year, 6 mil deal, THEN we consider trading him for whatever we can get during the season. But there is absolutely no reason to panic right now and take something less than we should in a trade.

If someone can explain to me why this flawed thinking, I'm open to hearing why. But as I see it, we have enough leverage to let this thing play out in a way that gets us a really good deal.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 03-15-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    So many on this board have convinced themselves that the Jets have no leverage in this situation.

I've read over and over the argument that we have to, "Trade him right now for whatever we can get, or else we'll lose him next year for nothing."

But this is a flawed argument because it ignores the fact that THE LAST thing any player in his position would want to do is play this year without a new contract. Revis may be too arrogant or too stupid to realize it, but his agents must know that would be a massive gamble. He shouldn't even report to camp without a new deal -- and he HAS to report to camp (no holdout language in contract).

So, in my opinion, the front office is doing exactly what they should do. They realize we have decent leverage here. We have TWO good possible avenues...and options equal leverage. We can trade him for a GOOD offer (at least a #1 and another mid-round pick, IMO...and yes, I'm talking about this year's draft. Waiting a year ALWAYS reduces the value of the pick, and if someone is offering next year picks, they need to blow us away with value). Or resign him to a reasonable deal (I'd be OK with 5/60 35ish guaranteed deal mentioned earlier in this thread...but they shouldn't go higher than 12 per, IMO). We should pursue both avenues simultaneously, and see which comes through first. And finally, if Revis and his people are stupid enough to let him try to play out the year on his one year, 6 mil deal, THEN we consider trading him for whatever we can get during the season. But there is absolutely no reason to panic right now and take something less than we should in a trade.

If someone can explain to me why this flawed thinking, I'm open to hearing why. But as I see it, we have enough leverage to let this thing play out in a way that gets us a really good deal.
    You are right on the money. The CB free agency market value is being set now and it is diminishing in value in comparison to the last few years. Idzik will be able to make a case for fare market value with Revis and his camp as the market begins to thin out. That will improve the Jets negotiation position to some extent. Now add the risk of playing on a one year contract after coming back from an ACL injury and you start stacking your hand. It would be a extremely risky for Revis to attend camp and play next year without a long term contract in play. The Jets may have more leverage than appears obvious.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    Idzik won't put revis back on the trading block until someone gets him a glass of 100% Cambodian breast milk.
    http://youtu.be/JKhiSs2VRpg

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post

Revis is not getting the insane contract he is demanding and so many on this site think he's destined for. Nobody is paying a CB $16 mil per season for 5-6 years especially one coming off an ACL tear.

Idzik is creating the cap room slowly but surely and he hasn't made any dumb wasteful signings. In the long run we can resign Revis for that 5/60 35ish guaranteed deal.

Hall Of Fame
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Eric Wright's grievance on voiding guaranteed money is denied http://wp.me/p14QSB-7CLv

This frees up over 7.75 million for the Bucs now. Now that it is official and he can be cut with no penalty, it may restart trade talks between Tampa Bay and the Jets.