Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Thoughts on Antwan Barnes?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thoughts on Antwan Barnes?

    He is in for a visit today and could be a fit for us at OLB.

    What I found so far:

    6'1 240 lbs

    2011 had 11 sacks (had a 4 sack game) filling in for injured players, followed that up in 2012 with only 3.

    I believe he ran 4.43 40 and 31 reps at the combine in 2007.

    Played for Rex before in Baltimore.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's solid. Would be a good signing.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only made 1.6 million last year, if you get him for around 2- 3 per year he would be a great addition.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost signed with us in 2011, but ended up re-signing in SD

    Would be a cheap solid signing. Could be a nice DPR in Rex's system, rushing the passer is his specialty.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Almost signed with us in 2011, but ended up re-signing in SD

    Would be a cheap solid signing. Could be a nice DPR in Rex's system, rushing the passer is his specialty.
    Is he not really an everydown player at OLB?

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Almost signed with us in 2011, but ended up re-signing in SD

    Would be a cheap solid signing. Could be a nice DPR in Rex's system, rushing the passer is his specialty.
    Hated that the Jets didn't get him prior to the '11 season. No idea why he chose the LB-heavy Chargers over the Jets, but looks like there's a second-chance here.

    Think Aaron Maybin with more than the run-around-the-tackle move. He's not a full-time starter, but can hold his own on a few snaps and actually apply pressure here and there.

    Would be a good depth signing IMO.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would be a cheap solid signing. The kind of signing we should be doing more of. This is not the year for flashy big name signings. Luckily for Idzik, the players he needs to replace were average at best (minus maybe Landry). Filling in for Pace/Scott/Thomas at LB shouldn't be too hard. Same with replacing Green and Bell (both serviceable but unspectacular).

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    hitting 30 soon. Part time player. I can only hope he leaves here without a contract.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    hitting 30 soon. Part time player. I can only hope he leaves here without a contract.
    He doesnt turn 29 until October, and he is exactly the type of player the Jets can target. There are no 25 year old 12 sack a year FAs that will play for 2 million per year, if you can find one, please let us know.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He doesnt turn 29 until October, and he is exactly the type of player the Jets can target. There are no 25 year old 12 sack a year FAs that will play for 2 million per year, if you can find one, please let us know.
    Also, how many OLBs are on the roster right now?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He doesnt turn 29 until October, and he is exactly the type of player the Jets can target. There are no 25 year old 12 sack a year FAs that will play for 2 million per year, if you can find one, please let us know.
    I like barnes, and I get the thinking on value players.

    The only reason Im skeptical, is that it appears (stress appears) that Victor Butler could be the 25 year old 10 sack guy you are talking about.

    Butler wasnt able to beat out some relatively average players. Butler was stuck behind the best pass rusher in football and an excellent player in spencer. Who knows what the guys ceiling is.

    Im concerned that hes in pittsburgh today

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I like barnes, and I get the thinking on value players.

    The only reason Im skeptical, is that it appears (stress appears) that Victor Butler could be the 25 year old 10 sack guy you are talking about.

    Butler wasnt able to beat out some relatively average players. Butler was stuck behind the best pass rusher in football and an excellent player in spencer. Who knows what the guys ceiling is.

    Im concerned that hes in pittsburgh today
    I think Butler will get at least double what Barnes gets. Do I prefer Butler?? Yes, but Barnes is still a good option at his price.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Is he not really an everydown player at OLB?
    Haven't seen many SD games over the past couple of seasons, but I don't believe so.....

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Hated that the Jets didn't get him prior to the '11 season. No idea why he chose the LB-heavy Chargers over the Jets, but looks like there's a second-chance here.

    Think Aaron Maybin with more than the run-around-the-tackle move. He's not a full-time starter, but can hold his own on a few snaps and actually apply pressure here and there.

    Would be a good depth signing IMO.
    Plus I think he's way more advanced as a PR then Maybin ever was.....

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    hitting 30 soon. Part time player. I can only hope he leaves here without a contract.
    Not every player on the roster can be a rookie or 2nd year player. Most of these guys leave school at 23. No one is saying we give Barnes a 5 year 100 million dollar deal. but as a stop gap on a 1 -2 year contract its a solid signing.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I like barnes, and I get the thinking on value players.

    The only reason Im skeptical, is that it appears (stress appears) that Victor Butler could be the 25 year old 10 sack guy you are talking about.

    Butler wasnt able to beat out some relatively average players. Butler was stuck behind the best pass rusher in football and an excellent player in spencer. Who knows what the guys ceiling is.

    Im concerned that hes in pittsburgh today
    You could argue that he should have been able to beat out Jarret Johnson, but Johnson is a better run stuffer and Phillips was an every-down guy on the other side.

    Add in that Barnes was battling injuries last year, plus SD's desire to get their younger LBs on the field (Ingram, English) and you can see how his numbers suffered. Still think Barnes should be available on the cheap and at least brings (in theory) a dimension this team has been missing for years.

    Anything to keep Garrett McIntyre off the field...

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Haven't seen many SD games over the past couple of seasons, but I don't believe so.....
    he's not

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello
    Antwan Barnes' visit with the Jets will continue tomorrow. #NYJ

    sign him up!

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get him on board.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is smaller than the prototypical 3-4 olb, very fast but seems to take bad angles that leaves him arriving at the scene a little late. His Size gets him engulfed when plays run at him, He does not take on the blocks due to his size but relies on quickness to beat the block. Athletic RTs like Volmer eat him up, guys like Doug Free he eats them up.

    To me he is a lot better going forward than back and the guy you want to be your #1 backup, You lock him up for 3 years, he starts next year and then becomes a valuable back up. I dont think he will get more than 3 years and 7mill. When he left Balt I wanted the pats to get him big time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us