Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Antwan Barnes?

Thoughts on Antwan Barnes?

He is in for a visit today and could be a fit for us at OLB.

What I found so far:

6'1 240 lbs

2011 had 11 sacks (had a 4 sack game) filling in for injured players, followed that up in 2012 with only 3.

I believe he ran 4.43 40 and 31 reps at the combine in 2007.

Played for Rex before in Baltimore.

He's solid. Would be a good signing.

Hall Of Fame
    Only made 1.6 million last year, if you get him for around 2- 3 per year he would be a great addition.

All Pro
    Almost signed with us in 2011, but ended up re-signing in SD

Would be a cheap solid signing. Could be a nice DPR in Rex's system, rushing the passer is his specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post

Would be a cheap solid signing. Could be a nice DPR in Rex's system, rushing the passer is his specialty.
    Is he not really an everydown player at OLB?

Hated that the Jets didn't get him prior to the '11 season. No idea why he chose the LB-heavy Chargers over the Jets, but looks like there's a second-chance here.

Think Aaron Maybin with more than the run-around-the-tackle move. He's not a full-time starter, but can hold his own on a few snaps and actually apply pressure here and there.

Would be a good depth signing IMO.

Would be a cheap solid signing. The kind of signing we should be doing more of. This is not the year for flashy big name signings. Luckily for Idzik, the players he needs to replace were average at best (minus maybe Landry). Filling in for Pace/Scott/Thomas at LB shouldn't be too hard. Same with replacing Green and Bell (both serviceable but unspectacular).

hitting 30 soon. Part time player. I can only hope he leaves here without a contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    hitting 30 soon. Part time player. I can only hope he leaves here without a contract.
    He doesnt turn 29 until October, and he is exactly the type of player the Jets can target. There are no 25 year old 12 sack a year FAs that will play for 2 million per year, if you can find one, please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He doesnt turn 29 until October, and he is exactly the type of player the Jets can target. There are no 25 year old 12 sack a year FAs that will play for 2 million per year, if you can find one, please let us know.
    Also, how many OLBs are on the roster right now?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I like barnes, and I get the thinking on value players.

The only reason Im skeptical, is that it appears (stress appears) that Victor Butler could be the 25 year old 10 sack guy you are talking about.

Butler wasnt able to beat out some relatively average players. Butler was stuck behind the best pass rusher in football and an excellent player in spencer. Who knows what the guys ceiling is.

Im concerned that hes in pittsburgh today

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

The only reason Im skeptical, is that it appears (stress appears) that Victor Butler could be the 25 year old 10 sack guy you are talking about.

Butler wasnt able to beat out some relatively average players. Butler was stuck behind the best pass rusher in football and an excellent player in spencer. Who knows what the guys ceiling is.

I think Butler will get at least double what Barnes gets. Do I prefer Butler?? Yes, but Barnes is still a good option at his price.

All Pro
    Is he not really an everydown player at OLB?
    Haven't seen many SD games over the past couple of seasons, but I don't believe so.....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Hated that the Jets didn't get him prior to the '11 season. No idea why he chose the LB-heavy Chargers over the Jets, but looks like there's a second-chance here.

Think Aaron Maybin with more than the run-around-the-tackle move. He's not a full-time starter, but can hold his own on a few snaps and actually apply pressure here and there.

Would be a good depth signing IMO.
    Plus I think he's way more advanced as a PR then Maybin ever was.....

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Not every player on the roster can be a rookie or 2nd year player. Most of these guys leave school at 23. No one is saying we give Barnes a 5 year 100 million dollar deal. but as a stop gap on a 1 -2 year contract its a solid signing.

You could argue that he should have been able to beat out Jarret Johnson, but Johnson is a better run stuffer and Phillips was an every-down guy on the other side.

Add in that Barnes was battling injuries last year, plus SD's desire to get their younger LBs on the field (Ingram, English) and you can see how his numbers suffered. Still think Barnes should be available on the cheap and at least brings (in theory) a dimension this team has been missing for years.

Anything to keep Garrett McIntyre off the field...

All Pro
    Haven't seen many SD games over the past couple of seasons, but I don't believe so.....
    he's not

Brian Costello
    Antwan Barnes' visit with the Jets will continue tomorrow. #NYJ

sign him up!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Get him on board.

He is smaller than the prototypical 3-4 olb, very fast but seems to take bad angles that leaves him arriving at the scene a little late. His Size gets him engulfed when plays run at him, He does not take on the blocks due to his size but relies on quickness to beat the block. Athletic RTs like Volmer eat him up, guys like Doug Free he eats them up.

To me he is a lot better going forward than back and the guy you want to be your #1 backup, You lock him up for 3 years, he starts next year and then becomes a valuable back up. I dont think he will get more than 3 years and 7mill. When he left Balt I wanted the pats to get him big time.