Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DPR and the 3-4. Enough.

DPR and the 3-4. Enough.

I think we are going into year 4 of this defense.

Is anyone else SICK of the DPR? Anyone else sick of Rex thinking he is going to scheme a pass rush?

Please. Enough of these guys like Barnes, Maybin etc. Find us a 3-4 OLB that plays every down. Guys that can actually rush the passer.

OR just move to a 4-3, and let Coples/Wilkerson go and get the QB. I would never ever thought Rex would be here so long and still not running an adequate 3-4. Its the first thing every 3-4 coach does(Drafting OLB pass rushers). We just dont draft them period.

All Pro
    Although I agree with you, we need to find our every down, 10 sack a year OLB.....Tons of teams have DPR's that also have every down OLB's.....

Rex Ryan doesn't run a 3-4.

He has also fielded multiple top-10 defenses for the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    I think we are going into year 4 of this defense.

Is anyone else SICK of the DPR? Anyone else sick of Rex thinking he is going to scheme a pass rush?

Please. Enough of these guys like Barnes, Maybin etc. Find us a 3-4 OLB that plays every down. Guys that can actually rush the passer.

OR just move to a 4-3, and let Coples/Wilkerson go and get the QB. I would never ever thought Rex would be here so long and still not running an adequate 3-4. Its the first thing every 3-4 coach does(Drafting OLB pass rushers). We just dont draft them period.
    E-mail him your plan he is probably open to learning the right way to run a defense..

Who's out there that they can go after?? And actually afford?

Getting one in the draft is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    E-mail him your plan he is probably open to learning the right way to run a defense..
    His DPRs (Jason Taylor, Maybin blah blah) are all off the team.

Calvin Pace, and BT are gone. Scott is gone. None have even got a visit so far in FA.

He almost just got his ass fired after being embarrassed half the season, and his contract is done this year.

His ways of running a defense/team are about to leave him unemployed. Sure the defense does well in yards per game, but in other stats as well as the eye ball test has been nothing but average the last two years.

His brother who is also "Too scheme dependent" according to some in the NFL didn't get a DC job as easily as he thought..

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Who's out there that they can go after?? And actually afford?

Getting one in the draft is your best bet.
    We have 15-20m available.

But obv you would prefer one in the draft. But if you follow our drafts, or read the first post you would have realized we have no drafted any 3-4 OLBs since he has been here.

Thats the point. We are running a 3-4 without even attempting of drafting OLB. We are going into year 4. Those that are thinking we are going to draft Mingo, or Ansah are dreaming. We just dont draft those guys.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Calvin Pace, and BT are gone. Scott is gone. None have even got a visit so far in FA.

He almost just got his ass fired after being embarrassed half the season, and his contract is done this year.

His ways of running a defense/team are about to leave him unemployed. Sure the defense does well in yards per game, but in other stats as well as the eye ball test has been nothing but average the last two years.

His brother who is also "Too scheme dependent" according to some in the NFL didn't get a DC job as easily as he thought..
    I'm just a fan I don't have the NFL defensive experience like so many here do..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I'm just a fan I don't have the NFL defensive experience like so many here do..
    Your angle here : "NFL coaches know more then you" really serves no purpose. Besides it being used at nauseam by those that can't form any debate by themselves - Your defending a coach that traded for Tim Tebow, almost got fired, and made plenty of wrong decisions on offense and defense. To assume he's right about anything 100 percent of time is just a fail.

And with your 39000 post your saying you never questioned one of the coach/Front offices moves? When you did, did you send them an email about it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Your angle here : "NFL coaches know more then you" really serves no purpose. Besides it being used at nauseam by those that can't form any debate by themselves - Your defending a coach that traded for Tim Tebow, almost got fired, and made plenty of wrong decisions on offense and defense. To assume he's right about anything 100 percent of time is just a fail.

And with your 39000 post your saying you never questioned one of the coach/Front offices moves? When you did, did you send them an email about it?
    Yet you know more then Rex does?? Rex traded for Tebow who he never used?? He's was the GM for that trade?? I wasn't defending Rex I just said I wasn't on his level in putting together a NFL D.. Do I prefer a 4-3 like the sack exchange had and would I like to see it is a different question but the answer would be yes..

Problem is we haven't drafted an outisde pass rusher in general, OLB or DE - after getting burned by Gholston.

Rex runs his pass rushers mostly from a 40 front nickel package tho anyway. I'm not sure drafting a OLB is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Rex Ryan doesn't run a 3-4.

He has also fielded multiple top-10 defenses for the Jets.
    Neither does anyteam in the NFL. They all run "Multiple front defenses".

Those teams with similar fronts to us all happen to have focused on getting outside rushers like: Clay Matthews, Demarcus Ware, Chandler Jones, Von Miller, Kerrigan, Brooks Reed, Jarret johnson, Paul Kruger, Woodley, orakpo, Hali, Wake.....

We have continually pumped out guys like Jamal Westerman, Aaron Maybin, Ricky Sapp, and Mcintrye. All UDFA, or FA super cheap guys. We have put ZERO resources in the draft or FA into getting a pass rush from the most important spot in our defense.

And the results? Our pass rush has continued to suck. Were forced to commit massive blitz to get a pass rush, and we continue to commit little resources there.

Btw about our top ten defenses. Sure if you by yards it help some, but in Scoring defense we were 20th in the league last year. We were also 20th in the NFL in 2011. Thats two below avg defenses over the last two years, and were about to have less talent then either year.

Im sure most of you notice this as well.

I love Rex's scheme but I think we have ignored possibly the most important position in rush OLB. Look what Horton did in Cleveland. His first move was bringing in Kruger and Groves to line up in the 3-4 -- prioritizing OLB.

We need the stud rush OLB to be elite on defense. IMO this is more important right now to our defense than Revis, as we know we can field a good pass defense without him.

We need to hit big on OLB, OL, TE, and S in this draft unless we sign some good FAs. Unfortunately we are not in a position to go BPA the way things stand -- losing our top 2 OLB, 3 Safteies, and starting RB, TE, and 2 OGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Problem is we haven't drafted an outisde pass rusher in general, OLB or DE - after getting burned by Gholston.

Rex runs his pass rushers mostly from a 40 front nickel package tho anyway. I'm not sure drafting a OLB is the way to go.
    So why not just draft the best lineman possible and go 4-3? With Coples ability to play outside we have just about any option DL we want.

So you agree Mingo will likely not even be a consideration?

We have 15-20m available.

But obv you would prefer one in the draft. But if you follow our drafts, or read the first post you would have realized we have no drafted any 3-4 OLBs since he has been here.

Thats the point. We are running a 3-4 without even attempting of drafting OLB. We are going into year 4. Those that are thinking we are going to draft Mingo, or Ansah are dreaming. We just dont draft those guys.....
    Just curious, who is the 'we' in that statement? When Idzik took the job, was he given the criteria of what he is and isn't allowed to do as a member of the Jets? Is he only allowed to draft bust QBs? Can he only draft RBs in the 4th round?

What, other than the years of misery as a fan of this team, says that they WON'T draft Mingo or Ansah?

And if Idzik does pick an OLB, does that mean the curse is broken?

actually i think the problem is that there's too much focus on defense. the team should be focusing on finding guys who can score.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Just curious, who is the 'we' in that statement? When Idzik took the job, was he given the criteria of what he is and isn't allowed to do as a member of the Jets? Is he only allowed to draft bust QBs? Can he only draft RBs in the 4th round?

What, other than the years of misery as a fan of this team, says that they WON'T draft Mingo or Ansah?

And if Idzik does pick an OLB, does that mean the curse is broken?
    Our entire front office is the same besides Idzik. You do realize that?

those people that draft gholson and Sanchez are all still here except tanny. Notice us going after Barnes again?

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I love Rex's scheme but I think we have ignored possibly the most important position in rush OLB. Look what Horton did in Cleveland. His first move was bringing in Kruger and Groves to line up in the 3-4 -- prioritizing OLB.

We need the stud rush OLB to be elite on defense. IMO this is more important right now to our defense than Revis, as we know we can field a good pass defense without him.

We need to hit big on OLB, OL, TE, and S in this draft unless we sign some good FAs. Unfortunately we are not in a position to go BPA the way things stand -- losing our top 2 OLB, 3 Safteies, and starting RB, TE, and 2 OGs.
    +1. And its free kin common sense.

Its the first thing every coach does. Unless your ego is gigantic and you believe you can create a pass rush with Jamal Westerman and Mcintrye.

Our entire front office is the same besides Idzik. You do realize that?

those people that draft gholson and Sanchez are all still here except tanny. Notice us going after Barnes again?
    True, but that's like saying everybody in Congress is the same except for the Speaker of the House.

I like to believe that the sins of the father don't have to be repeated, but we'll see. We can at least agree that a top 3-4 OLB is essential if this defensive approach is going to continue.

If Jason Taylor wasn't 36, he would have been brought back, he was very effective in the DPR role.

I disagree that DPR's aren't a valuable commodity, it's a matter of finding the player that best serves the role.

The Jets need to replace 3 OLB positions, adding Barnes doesn't hurt, it's actually a good move, the Jets will also have Sapp and possibly another FA added this off-season, and it seems they could target an OLB at #9 where the strength of the draft is, at the OLB position.