Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets expected to purse Kolb after his release

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    idzik just left a team that found a star qb in the third round. he's going to bring in as many guys as he can afford and have them compete. increases the odds of finding a quality starter. it's math, that's all.
    Exactly. Other than Sanchez, every QB on the roster (and you can probably include Kolb, if signed) is cuttable if they don't work out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Kolb's ceiling with Morninwheg >>>> Kolb's ceiling with Whisenhunt

Kolb was a system QB in Philly, and played well. I'm happy to see him join the competition here.
    Signs of life! First Idzik gets some insurance with Garrard, next he will try for a QB who suits his OC. OMG!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekc View Post
    I don't understand why we wasted money on Gerard then, unless we plan on cutting Sanchez.
    It's not a waste. They want to bring in competition. Me saying he would be the best is my opinion, but they need to win the job. It simply lends to the idea that Sanchez is not a lock to start next year.

Cutting Sanchez would be a terrible waste of precious cap dollars. It just cannot happen. If it were feasible under our cap situation he'd be cut already.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care if we start camp with ten quarterbacks, let the best man win

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Izdik also just left a team that saw the fa qb they paid a lot for get out played by a rookie. i hope he takes that thought in to consideration and not pay to much on Colb.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather have Barnes/Butler/Goodson than another POS QB. Just draft one in the early-to-middle rounds and let him compete with Sanchez and Garrard. Too many other holes to fill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Not really.
    I hate to sound like an optimist but I think Kolb would be a nice addition. In 5 games last year he completed nearly 60% of his passes and threw 8 TD's against only 3 Int's. That's not bad when you consider that Arizona had one of the worst pass protecting O-line's in the league.
    Get him Idzik!
    Kolb played behind the worst Oline in the league...it was a jailbreak on every play.
    Plus teams just doubled Fitz.
    Sanchez probably didn't worry about Garrard much but Kolb is a different story in that he played under Marty at Philly in the WCO.

My feeling is that there are only 3 QBs that can play in this league & have "some" success with a bad Oline.
    Big Ben
    Aaron Rogers
    Cam Newton

So the fact that Kolb got the hell beat out of him last year behind a horrid line is not surprising.
    I will tell you this, I watched some of those games & saw Kolb get up & keep trying to play without giving up.
    There is something to be said for that!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    He will be out by week 3. Like garrard, another guy who cant start more then 1 or 2 games without getting knocked out.
    Your posts are unreadable, please find that other forum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I'd rather have Barnes/Butler/Goodson than another POS QB. Just draft one in the early-to-middle rounds and let him compete with Sanchez and Garrard. Too many other holes to fill.
    +1

I completely agree that Sanchez needs to be pushed in TC, possibly pushed out the door, but shimminy, there are like 6 QBs on the roster right now, and zero safeties, and like 1/2 a RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would LOVE a Kolb pick-up, it makes complete sense, and Kolb flourished under Mornhinweg.

Another thing to consider, with the FA defections we've been watching, don't think Idzik doesn't also consider the compensatory draft picks that will be awarded to the team next year as a result. I think this will impact how the team executes their FA plan this year, picking up a player like Kolb, irrespective of any contract, because he was released, does not impact the factors that determine compensatory picks for teams the following year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kolb is actually a decent QB Arizona was undefeated until he got knocked out for the year. That is his problem he is like chad he can't stay on the field. If they sign him expect to draft warmack. He will beat out everyone on the roster. Him staying on the field will be the problem.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Why would a Kolb pick-up impact the team's ability to sign those other 3 players?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Say goodbye to Teblow and McEl**** then.
    Sanchez/Garard/Kolb >>>>>>>> Sanchez/Tebow/Mcelroy.

Hopefully, we add a rookie in the top half the draft and drop one of Kolb/Garard towards the end of camp. (would like to drop Sanchez, but obviously not an option this year).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Would LOVE a Kolb pick-up, it makes complete sense, and Kolb flourished under Mornhinweg.

Another thing to consider, with the FA defections we've been watching, don't think Idzik doesn't also consider the compensatory draft picks that will be awarded to the team next year as a result. I think this will impact how the team executes their FA plan this year, picking up a player like Kolb, irrespective of any contract, because he was released, does not impact the factors that determine compensatory picks for teams the following year.
    I dont think Idzik is really worried about comp picks in 2014 when signing guys this year. Idzik isnt going to not sign a guy that he feels will help team and they can afford because it may or may not impact a comp pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    I don't care if we start camp with ten quarterbacks, let the best man win
    Mark will beat them out in practice. When he wears the red shirt he is ok because he knows nobody is allowed to hit him in practice.. First big hit he takes next year and he once again will be playing like a scared girl... I hope rex comes to terms with this now.. he had his chances, let the other guys have a shot..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Sanchez/Garard/Kolb >>>>>>>> Sanchez/Tebow/Mcelroy.

Hopefully, we add a rookie in the top half the draft and drop one of Kolb/Garard towards the end of camp. (would like to drop Sanchez, but obviously not an option this year).
    If Kolb and Garrard beat out Suckchez, ya really think the Jets will pay 8.2 mil for a clipboard holder? I think if he gets beaten out the Jets will find a way to dump him. When there is the will , there is a way!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is classic Mehta speculation only based on the connection between Kolb and Mornhenweg, there's no other weight to it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Mark will beat them out in practice. When he wears the red shirt he is ok because he knows nobody is allowed to hit him in practice.. First big hit he takes next year and he once again will be playing like a scared girl... I hope rex comes to terms with this now.. he had his chances, let the other guys have a shot..
    Im not doubting you, but i dont remember mark lighting it up in TC, drills, or preseason action either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    If Kolb and Garrard beat out Suckchez, ya really think the Jets will pay 8.2 mil for a clipboard holder? I think if he gets beaten out the Jets will find a way to dump him. When there is the will , there is a way!
    I am not sure why you always bring that up? Sanchez is getting paid no matter what this year. There is no option to not pay him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Exactly. Other than Sanchez, every QB on the roster (and you can probably include Kolb, if signed) is cuttable if they don't work out.
    Even Sanchez is cuttable with a June 1st designation, you just don't save any cap space by doing so, I just wouldn't assume he's getting a roster spot, especially with new every QB we look to bring in. I suspect if we do succeed in bringing in multiple QB's, he might not even make it to training camp just to avoid the potential distractions. Plus, there's only so many reps in training camp, we're not going into camp with 6 QB's.

Kolb isn't that awful though...his numbers with Arizona...

15G, 14GS, 255-436, 58.5% comp, 3124 yards, 17 TD, 11 INT, 83.2 QB Rating.

Of course, he also took 57 sacks, which may be the result of poor pocket presence or could be the result of god awful Offensive Line play (or both), and that beating caused him to miss more time then not with injuries. So yeah, there's a reason he's likely available in spite of that solid looking line.