Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Jets expected to purse Kolb after his release

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    exactly....that has always irked me when it came to sanchez..this having to scale down the offense and treat him with kid gloves....this is the frigging nfl...either you can get the job or you can't. I am in full agreement....he is not worth it....it looks like the jets are finally also feeling that way. If garrard is healthy...they get kolb and draft a rookie....I just do not see sanchez being the starter.
    The point is that they should not have scaled down the offense. They should have let him play through it and learn from it. I'm not going to argue about this especially when I agree that he shouldn't start, because I think he's shot at this point. My point was that if they did start him, and he did win the job, I would still root for the small chance that he could be salvaged. I just don't get the people that love to hate so much. It's not like we have the next Luck sitting on the bench, so the starter this year is not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. I'd love to see someone, anyone run away with the starting job, and surprise everyone, but otherwise they're just holding the place till next year. Which ever way they decide to go this year is not the end of the world.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I'd almost agree with this, except there is no such thing as a good gambling qb who doesn't possess an elite Brett Favre (or even Eli Manning) type arm.

When you have a qb who plays that style of ball without the physical attributes to do it, he's going to lose you more games than he wins you.

The other thing is that Sanchez IS streaky, however even his best streaks are short lived vs other young promising QBs. By that I mean that you sometimes would Sanchez make 5-8 good throws in a row or throw for over 250-300 yards and a few Tds... What you rarely saw was him playing at consistently high level all game long, and what we never saw was a game where he takes over and imposes his will on the other team. A day where he can not be stopped/carries the team on his back...

Guys like Ryan, Flacco, Stafford and Luck, RG3, and Wilson can do that and have statistical games to prove it.

Sanchez has never been that kind of qb...
    You are right on the mark! no pun But I also agree that if Sanchez somehow is our starter we should support him and hope that he gets over his lack of confidence and awful pocket presence.

I also disagree with those that have virtually given up hope that we can win or at least be decent this year. They allude to next year in anticipation of drafting a great QB. Screw that. Lets hope hope our starter can win this year and lets support him whoever he is!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I agree 100 percent

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The point is that they should not have scaled down the offense. They should have let him play through it and learn from it. I'm not going to argue about this especially when I agree that he shouldn't start, because I think he's shot at this point. My point was that if they did start him, and he did win the job, I would still root for the small chance that he could be salvaged. I just don't get the people that love to hate so much. It's not like we have the next Luck sitting on the bench, so the starter this year is not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. I'd love to see someone, anyone run away with the starting job, and surprise everyone, but otherwise they're just holding the place till next year. Which ever way they decide to go this year is not the end of the world.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You are right on the mark! no pun But I also agree that if Sanchez somehow is our starter we should support him and hope that he gets over his lack of confidence and awful pocket presence.

I also disagree with those that have virtually given up hope that we can win or at least be decent this year. They allude to next year in anticipation of drafting a great QB. Screw that. Lets hope hope our starter can win this year and lets support him whoever he is!
    I am not disagreeing with you but I am so tired of hearing about his confidence. He is a grown man and a professional. Well at least he is supposed to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    thats why I always said that if we have a qb that is lacking in confidence then HE HAS TO GO.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you but I am so tired of hearing about his confidence. He is a grown man and a professional. Well at least he is supposed to be.

All Pro
    Looks like the Jets are finished 'pursing' Kevin Kolb. His Wiki page showed him a s Jet Friday and all day yesterday and even assigned him the number 4 after a few hours. Today he is back to being a free agent. I guess that's why it was so quiet after that one twitter. If there ever was any interest, I guess the Jets didn't like what they saw after "pursing" him. Thanks Manish!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Looks like the Jets are finished 'pursing' Kevin Kolb. His Wiki page showed him a s Jet Friday and all day yesterday and even assigned him the number 4 after a few hours. Today he is back to being a free agent. I guess that's why it was so quiet after that one twitter. If there ever was any interest, I guess the Jets didn't like what they saw after "pursing" him. Thanks Manish!
    If it's true then I say thank goodness. He's another turn over machine. Maybe not as bad as MS but still bad.

I'm content to go into TC with Garrard+mid-late round draft pick+McElroy+MS, and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    If it's true then I say thank goodness. He's another turn over machine. Maybe not as bad as MS but still bad.

I'm content to go into TC with Garrard+mid-late round draft pick+McElroy+MS, and let the chips fall where they may.
    + 1

Kevin Kolb isn't good

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Kolb is done, started too late. He isn't the answer here.

I think that bringing in Kolb would be a good idea... Hes probably better than Sanchez for one. Hes also experienced under Mornhinweg and has had a few big games under Marty, something Sanchez has NEVER done. He had absolutely no OL in Arizona, which didn't help.

Hes probably not our long term answer, but its not like we are going to find that this offseason anyways.

There is an element that Kolb and Sanchez cancel each other out.

Mornhinweg may be interested in Kolb, and he may be receiving favorable feedback from Garcia with Sanchez' off-season work.

They've already signed Garrard, adding Kolb adds clutter to the QB position unless the Jets remove both McElroy and Tebow, which to be honest, I'd have no problem with.

Sanchez, Kolb, Garrard, and a draft pick competing? Plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    There is an element that Kolb and Sanchez cancel each other out.

Mornhinweg may be interested in Kolb, and he may be receiving favorable feedback from Garcia with Sanchez' off-season work.

They've already signed Garrard, adding Kolb adds clutter to the QB position unless the Jets remove both McElroy and Tebow, which to be honest, I'd have no problem with.

Sanchez, Kolb, Garrard, and a draft pick competing? Plausible.
    More than plausible, without including the draft pick. I would say closer to the optimum result considering the restraints the jets are operating under. If Kolb was added to the roster I would not look to add a qb until the 3rd

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I think that bringing in Kolb would be a good idea... Hes probably better than Sanchez for one. Hes also experienced under Mornhinweg and has had a few big games under Marty, something Sanchez has NEVER done. He had absolutely no OL in Arizona, which didn't help.

Hes probably not our long term answer, but its not like we are going to find that this offseason anyways.
    He probably wants more money than the jets are willing to offer

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    More than plausible, without including the draft pick. I would say closer to the optimum result considering the restraints the jets are operating under. If Kolb was added to the roster I would not look to add a qb until the 3rd
    If Kolb was added I wouldn't draft a QB at all (I wouldn't draft one as things stand right now).

I'd never draft a QB (that I intended to start) outside of the 1st round, or the first one or two picks of the 2nd.

What's the point? There so many good players that can be found at other positions in those rounds, while the success rate for QBs outside of the 1st and very top of the 2nd is beyond terrible.

Brock Osweiler
    Russell Wilson
    Nick Foles
    Kirk Cousins
    Ryan Lindley
    BJ Coleman
    Chandler Harnish

Colin Kaepernick
    Ryan Mallet
    Ricky Stanzi
    TJ Yates
    Nathan Enderle
    Tyrod Tayler
    Greg McElroy

Jimmy Clausen
    Colt McCoy
    Mike Kafka
    John Skelton
    Jonathan Crompton
    Rusty Smith
    Dan Lefevour
    Joe Webb
    Tony Pike
    Levi Brown
    Sean Canfield
    Zac Robinson

Stephen McGee
    Rhett Bomar
    Nate Davis
    Tom Brandstater
    Mike Teel
    Keith Null
    Curtis Painter

Brian Brohm
    Chad Henne
    Kevin O'Connell
    John David Booty
    Dennis Dixon
    Josh Johnson
    Erik Ainge
    Colt Brennan
    Andre Woodson
    Matt Flynn
    Alex Brink

Kevin Kolb
    John Beck
    Drew Stanton
    Trent Edwards
    Isaiah Stanback
    Jeff Rowe
    Troy Smith
    Jordan Palmer
    Tyler Thigpen

Kellen Clemens
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Charlie Whitehurst
    Brody Croyle
    Ingle Martin
    Omar Jacobs
    Bruce Gradkowski
    DJ Shockley

Charlie Frye
    Andrew Walter
    David Greene
    Kyle Orton
    Stefan Lefors
    Dan Orlovsky
    Adrian McPherson
    Derek Anderson
    James Kilian
    Matt Cassel
    Ryan Fitzpatrick

Matt Schaub (I kept going back just to get to this point)
    Luke McCown
    Craig Krenzel
    Andrew Hall
    Josh Harris
    Jim Sorgi
    Jeff Smoker
    John Navarre
    Cody Pickett
    Casey Bramlett
    Matt Mauck
    BJ Symons
    Bradlee van Pelt

So, NFL GMs, continue to draft QBs outside of the 1st round so that good players that can actually get on the field and make an impact fall to the Jets.

That list is ****, ****, ****, more ****, a really huge ****, Schaub, some more ****, ****, ****, ****, Kaepernick and Wilson.

We've gotten more value from Matt Slauson than we would have gotten from any QB drafted in the 5th round or later since Tom Brady (Romo wasn't drafted at all).

Drafting a QB in the 1st round works out less than 50% of the time, but wait any longer and that % drops into the single digits.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    He probably wants more money than the jets are willing to offer
    Probably. He was due to make, what $11M from the Cards? And they tried to restructure him (i.e. get him to take a major pay-cut) and he refused.

They probably tried to get him down to a similar level to the Stanton contract (around $4M a year) and he declined.

I can't see the Jets paying him more than that - especially as we seem to be shopping in the $1M - $2M section in free agency.

Kolb has been highly paid in Arizona, and probably thinks he should continue to be highly paid. FA contract numbers are way down, but QBs will always get paid. When guys like Matt Moore and Stanton are getting around $4M a year, you know Kolb is going to want as much (or more) than that.

Unless he comes here on a very low base, incentive-laden deal, I think another team with a lot of cap room might scoop him up as one of those $4M backups.

No way would I want the Jets to overpay or commit major long-term money to Kolb. Get him cheap, or move on.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 03-18-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Really, that is your response, he's a "grown man," he shouldn't lack confidence? If that is the case, you know nothing about sports, players at the professional level also battle with confidence issues, especially when they struggle. This happens in every sport.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Manish makes up none existent stories all the time. It is a joke!!

Manish is slightly better than incarcerated Bob at this point IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Manish makes up none existent stories all the time. It is a joke!!

Manish is slightly better than incarcerated Bob at this point IMO.
    Don't insult Bob.