Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets expected to purse Kolb after his release

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I love that strategically, but the difference is that we are bringing in players whose ceiling has already been determined.

Kolb may (stress may) have some upside in the WCO, but he struggled mightily in arizona with fitz, albeit behind a suspect line.

Garrard is 35, his upside is capped tremendously.

Now - if we had kolb and nassib, then ok i get the competition and statistical chance situation. Or even flynn and nassib/dysert.

But kolb/sanchez/garrard and mcelroy is only increase the chances of your fan base rioting on opening day.

I am home from work sick with a flu bug. That line made me laugh so hard it hurt my chest. Still laughing as i type this.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont think Idzik is really worried about comp picks in 2014 when signing guys this year. Idzik isnt going to not sign a guy that he feels will help team and they can afford because it may or may not impact a comp pick.
    I didn't say he's worried about it, and I didn't suggest he won't sign a guy just to preserve comp picks next year, but it will play a factor in what they will do this year. They'll get the guys they need and fit the cost model, but there will be some hesitancy applied if the player is a borderline fit.

This only fits his plan of treating draft picks like precious commodities, and there is no doubt he's looking to load picks for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjasplayfootball View Post
    this is classic Mehta speculation only based on the connection between Kolb and Mornhenweg, there's no other weight to it
    Except this time, Cimini and Brian Coz also had sources confirm that the team has had internal discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    idzik just left a team that found a star qb in the third round. he's going to bring in as many guys as he can afford and have them compete. increases the odds of finding a quality starter. it's math, that's all.
    Draft QB EJ MANUEL this yr and draft BOYD or BDUB( if POSSIBLE) next yr

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I didn't say he's worried about it, and I didn't suggest he won't sign a guy just to preserve comp picks next year, but it will play a factor in what they will do this year. They'll get the guys they need and fit the cost model, but there will be some hesitancy applied if the player is a borderline fit.

This only fits his plan of treating draft picks like precious commodities, and there is no doubt he's looking to load picks for the next several years.
    Ray. Please don't sweat some people's post. Your OP was insightful and well thought out. I for one think you are right!!!

It shows our current GM has a real plan that he is not going to abandon just because the HC thinks he wants something. I like this and gave to give Woody big props for hiring this guy!!!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    He will be out by week 3. Like garrard, another guy who cant start more then 1 or 2 games without getting knocked out.
    So based on the incredible accuracy of your past predictions/guarantees, Jets fans should prepare for Kolb to start 16 games and make the Probowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Mark will beat them out in practice. When he wears the red shirt he is ok because he knows nobody is allowed to hit him in practice.. First big hit he takes next year and he once again will be playing like a scared girl... I hope rex comes to terms with this now.. he had his chances, let the other guys have a shot..
    Not for nothing but Sanchez is a pretty tough QB in a lot of fans' opinions. He was taking licks and would get right back up and never really got injured so to me this is a dump.....

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Kolb's ceiling with Morninwheg >>>> Kolb's ceiling with Whisenhunt

Kolb was a system QB in Philly, and played well. I'm happy to see him join the competition here.
    Kolb was gun shy in Zona. Every time he went back was under pressure and he just couldn't handle it. Teams just sent blitz like every play and the Wiz never adjusted his play call for it. Still had better stats then Sanchez ever did. I think he will get anther chance but not likely here IMO. I think he will have options(Buff, Jax, KC). He will likely get paid more then we can really give him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I brought him up a few times this offseason, think he'd be a good signing, much better than Garrard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Mark will beat them out in practice. When he wears the red shirt he is ok because he knows nobody is allowed to hit him in practice.. First big hit he takes next year and he once again will be playing like a scared girl... I hope rex comes to terms with this now.. he had his chances, let the other guys have a shot..
    But this somewhat supports the theory that Mark can "be a winner" if you give him a strong OL and some weapons to work with.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but if that's the case I'd rather spend resources building around him than replacing him. Just because we get rid of him doesn't mean his replacement would be any better.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses for him -- I'm really not. The guy probably isn't the answer. But if there's ANY way to get him to be a serviceable QB I'm looking for it, at least until a more "sure thing" comes along . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    But this somewhat supports the theory that Mark can "be a winner" if you give him a strong OL and some weapons to work with.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but if that's the case I'd rather spend resources building around him than replacing him. Just because we get rid of him doesn't mean his replacement would be any better.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses for him -- I'm really not. The guy probably isn't the answer. But if there's ANY way to get him to be a serviceable QB I'm looking for it, at least until a more "sure thing" comes along . . .
    they need to build the offense regardless of who plays qb. it's why, if they stay at 9, i think they very well may take a guard.

Kolb is a waste of time in my opinion... I'm more interested in Garrard starting. Kolb is extremely similar to Sanchez.

Will have a couple of good games and then will have stretches where he can't get the team in field position good enough for a field goal.

Save the 3rd QB spot for the draft pick. Go into the season with Garrard, EJ Manuel, and Sanchez.

Are these actual reports, or all just based on the fact that Kolb ran Morninwheg's offense for a bit?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I brought him up a few times this offseason, think he'd be a good signing, much better than Garrard.
    Who won the pass, punt and kick competition this year? Maybe they should get invited to camp. lol

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they need to build the offense regardless of who plays qb. it's why, if they stay at 9, i think they very well may take a guard.
    True, but I'd rather not use anything other than a late-rounder flyer on a QB, which isn't happening if we're throwing names like Nassib, Glennon, etc. around . . .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

It's not as if said resources would be a bad investment either -- what QB wouldn't need that?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I am home from work sick with a flu bug. That line made me laugh so hard it hurt my chest. Still laughing as i type this.
    Hope you feel better. A LOT of stuff going around here in Hampton Roads. My wife is in the medical field and her practice is slammed with patient's.

What's better than three ****ty QB's? Four!

But honestly, both Kolb and Garrard are better than Sanchez and Kolb could get the opportunity of a fresh start AND for the first time in his career having a legitimate LT protecting his rear.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Hope you feel better. A LOT of stuff going around here in Hampton Roads. My wife is in the medical field and her practice is slammed with patient's.
    Thanks Man. Feeling much better today. Might actually go back to work tomorrow.

Maybe, LOL.

Good God. The only way this makes sense is if the Jets are stockpliling QB'S for Gruden next year.