Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idzik the Right Man For the Job So Far

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Idzik the Right Man For the Job So Far

I love what Idzik is doing. It is about time we got a grown up in the house. Why anyone is complaining is beyond me:

He hasn't overpayed anyone.
    He has the patience to let the market set itself for Revis instead of caving into desperation.
    All free agent visits are young, low cost guys with strong upside.
    He has wiggled 16 million free in cap room by getting Santonio Holmes to restructure (a miracle in and of itself).

We will see what he drafts like, and what kind of team we field. But I couldn't be more thrilled.

Then i jump on this board and its the total opposite. Am I missing something? We just fired a guy who's entire rep was built on making big splashes. Why would you want that again?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I love what Idzik is doing. It is about time we got a grown up in the house. Why anyone is complaining is beyond me:

He has the patience to let the market set itself for Revis instead of caving into desperation.
    He has wiggled 16 million free in cap room by getting Santonio Holmes to restructure (a miracle in and of itself).

We will see what he drafts like, and what kind of team we field. But I couldn't be more thrilled.

Then i jump on this board and its the total opposite. Am I missing something? We just fired a guy who's entire rep was built on making big splashes. Why would you want that again?
    Apparently quite a few are worried we won't be able to field a team for the game this Sunday..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny how people don't give the guy a chance to do things his way. Just be patient. He has a giant mess to clean up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the cap room he freed up is especially promising...

from the outside looking in, it seems like he's giving us a plenty of flexibility regarding Revis.

1. Trade Revis, have enough cap room to easily absorb the hit, and carry over a nice chunk of change into an already-huge amount of cap space next offseason

2. Extend Revis after engineering a low market for him, giving him that top-flight salary he wants this year while evening out to 12/per for the rest of the contract (as dictated by TB offer/NFL market)

option 1 seems more likely at this point, but if they can't receive compensation valuing at more than just a first round pick, option 2 is dandy as well.

win-win for Jets. we might not get exactly the compensation we want, or we might give Revis a few more dollars than we'd like, but that's the hand Idzik was dealt. a really crappy hand from a really crappy ex-GM and a really unfortunately timed injury.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 03-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People on this board are too reactionary. Ever single occurence with the team has them either dancing in the streets ot climbing the water tower.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    the cap room he freed up is especially promising...

from the outside looking in, it seems like he's giving us a plenty of flexibility regarding Revis.

1. Trade Revis, have enough cap room to easily absorb the hit, and carry over a nice chunk of change into an already-huge amount of cap space next offseason

2. Extend Revis after engineering a low market for him, giving him that top-flight salary he wants this year while evening out to 12/per for the rest of the contract (as dictated by TB offer/NFL market)

option 1 seems more likely at this point, but if they can't receive compensation valuing at more than just a first round pick, option 2 is dandy as well.

win-win for Jets
    The cap room he freed up would have been done by Tanny too. There's been nothing unexpected. Nothing earth shattering.

They have $15M+ now (maybe more by the end of the day) and reportedly approx $30M available next yr.

The Jets also haven't been active during the beginning of FA since signing Bart and before that Faneca/Woody

People have short memories or just gulp up what the media spits out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread and you are absolutely right, patience is the way to go and we will come out of this offseason as a much more promising team, younger and with much more upside than last year...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The cap room he freed up would have been done by Tanny too. There's been nothing unexpected. Nothing earth shattering.

They have $15M+ now (maybe more by the end of the day) and reportedly approx $30M available next yr.

The Jets also haven't been active during the beginning of FA since signing Bart and before that Faneca/Woody

People have short memories or just gulp up what the media spits out.
    I'm not sure I totally agree with you. Would Tanny have purged guys like pace and scott and smith? Yes. Would he have had the discipline to NOT sign Landry at such a huge price with Rex whispering in his ear? I'm not sure. Tanny also loves Revis so much there would have been no trade talks and he would have been working on extending him right now. We might be freeing up cap space with moves but i also think tanny would have spent the cost savings in short order.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    People on this board are too reactionary. Ever single occurence with the team has them either dancing in the streets ot climbing the water tower.
    Dead on. The "sky-is-falling" fans who were desperate for the Jets to sign anyone are laughable, but I'm not going to sit here and praise Idzik for basic cap management either. We should all be in a wait-and-see approach...in my mind it's not going to be possible to have a read on him until after the draft.

The only event that should have fans drawing any type of conclusion on him is what is done with Revis. If he lets DR go for one pick that isn't a 1st-rounder, he should get fileted. If he gets two 1st-rounders in a trade, then he can be celebrated for a while.

Outside of that, people just need to chill on the judgment until there's something to judge.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'm not sure I totally agree with you. Would Tanny have purged guys like pace and scott and smith? Yes. Would he have had the discipline to NOT sign Landry at such a huge price with Rex whispering in his ear? I'm not sure. Tanny also loves Revis so much there would have been no trade talks and he would have been working on extending him right now. We might be freeing up cap space with moves but i also think tanny would have spent the cost savings in short order.
    Tanny also probably would have either caved in to Revis' contract demands, or the Bucs' lowball offer. Idzik is playing hardball. The anticipation is killing all of us, but he's doing the right thing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik isn't f*cking around

He's making this his team.

He's doing this the right way. Blow this b*tch up and start working towards building a contender from the ground up.

No more band aids, no more splurging on overpriced veterans past their prime.

Build through the draft.

In Izzy we trust

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Revis situation is a directive from Woody.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The small minded anti Idzik peons should read barnwell's article on grantland about the overspending early in FA.

Trust me, in a few years we will be so much better off not having given JAGs the ridiculous contracts they've been getting.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This.

The board pretty much agreed that this would be a necessary move if the Jets were to do anything. And the board pretty much agreed that a selfish prick like Holmes would never agree to it.

But somehow dude got it done. And without any twitter wiseass remarks coming from Tone....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Revis situation is a directive from Woody.
    Sauce?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Sauce?
    Google it. It's been reported a 100 Xs. Whether you believe it or not that's up to you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    lol. so true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

He didn't restructure Holmes. He just reduced his '13 salary to the guaranteed amount.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Don't understand what some want, we just got back into a good cap situation and you want to throw all that away and sign guys who will not be helping us win the superbowl next year. It makes sense for the Broncos to sign Welker, Cromartie etc because their close, we at this time are not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He didn't restructure Holmes. He just reduced his '13 salary to the guaranteed amount.
    lol. That's the definition of a 'restructure', i.e. to 'change the structure' of the current contract.