Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idzik the Right Man For the Job So Far

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    lol. That's the definition of a 'restructure', i.e. to 'change the structure' of the current contract.
    structure
    1. Something made up of a number of parts that are held or put together in a particular way
    2. The way in which parts are arranged or put together to form a whole; makeup: triangular in structure.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Sauce?
    Common sense.

I think Woody might delegate more than most owners but when it comes to big decisions that can effect the business of the NYJ Woody is very much involved.

Favre
    Moving up for Sanchez
    Tebow
    Signing a player to a huge contract (like Revis)
    HC change.

Pretty much all of those decisions are dependent on Woody to give final say. They effect the direction of the franchise as well as the business.

Jets Insider VIP
    I may be jumping ahead here, but imagine we sign Barnes, and maybe another similar type player (Gibson?) before the draft.

Then we load up in the draft by either trading back, or leveraging Revis for an additional first.

In the mid rounds we pick up a QB, RB, and WR.

In the first, we pick up a DT or elite pass rusher.

In the late rounds, Ss, OLs, LBs, special teamers.

We use our cap space after the draft to sign some free agents and fill holes.

We start the year with a young, unproven team (mostly), and knowing we are going into 2014 loaded with cap space and young talent.

Im on board. Beats the old, mortgage the future for this small window mindset in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Common sense.

I think Woody might delegate more than most owners but when it comes to big decisions that can effect the business of the NYJ Woody is very much involved.

Favre
    Moving up for Sanchez
    Tebow
    Signing a player to a huge contract (like Revis)
    HC change.

Pretty much all of those decisions are dependent on Woody to give final say. They effect the direction of the franchise as well as the business.
    +1

Any business has an approval structure. People at certain levels can approve transactions up to a certain amount - beyond that amount the approval moves up to the next level.

While I'm not 100% that Woody was overly involved in the Tebow acquisition, the rest of those examples are definitely instances where the owner would be involved.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The cap room he freed up would have been done by Tanny too. There's been nothing unexpected. Nothing earth shattering.

They have $15M+ now (maybe more by the end of the day) and reportedly approx $30M available next yr.

The Jets also haven't been active during the beginning of FA since signing Bart and before that Faneca/Woody

People have short memories or just gulp up what the media spits out.
    That is something we will never know. Mr.T was owned by WRECKS and apparently IDZIK is running things the way he wants with no interferance from the HC. Thus we will never know if Tanny would have cut any or all of the guys that IDZIK did. I am happy with what I have seen thus far! The new GM seems skillful and does things his way!

Jets Insider VIP
    structure
    1. Something made up of a number of parts that are held or put together in a particular way
    2. The way in which parts are arranged or put together to form a whole; makeup: triangular in structure.
    Im sorry, is this supposed to prove your point, or mine? The parts, or the particular way, the contract was put together (i.e. with bonuses included) was re-structured to no longer include those bonuses.

Jets Insider VIP
    I may be jumping ahead here, but imagine we sign Barnes, and maybe another similar type player (Gibson?) before the draft.

Then we load up in the draft by either trading back, or leveraging Revis for an additional first.

We start the year with a young, unproven team (mostly), and knowing we are going into 2014 loaded with cap space and young talent.

Im on board. Beats the old, mortgage the future for this small window mindset in my book.
    I'd love to see your plan workout! This team needs to get younger, faster and more aggressive. it also has to be better coached on Offense.

Im sorry, is this supposed to prove your point, or mine? The parts, or the particular way, the contract was put together (i.e. with bonuses included) was re-structured to no longer include those bonuses.
    My definition is extending the contract or at least pushing money to other yrs. What I read is all they Jets did was reduced his salary this season to his guaranteed amount.

Not only that, it brings a level of excitement back to the games. Doom-and-gloomers are looking at this rebuilding as a reason to not watch the games - I look at it as the fans finally having a GOOD reason to watch the games after two of the most dissapointing seasons in team history.

Your scenario is something of a best-case, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. And while we're dreaming (it is the offseason after all), what if in that scenario the team rips off wins in 4 of the last 5 games with young players flashing AND the ton of cap space for 2014?

I don't know why so many are down, when this might be the best time to be a Jets fan since before the start of the '11 season.

I just love the fact that Idzik is keeping those parasites, Feinsod and Schwarz in the dark. They are so used to dictating the terms and applying pressure publicly and so far it seems, that Idzik is not reacting emotionally to all that is being written and said about Revis. He is maintaining his pace and rhythm on the situation and not being swayed. Feinsod and Schwarz's other contract problem child, Vincent Jackson, is on the Bucs and I wouldn't be surprised if they are not pushing the Glazers and that front office to take their other client, Revis. Woody learned something from the last negotiation with them, "keep your mouth closed." If you say anything definitive about Revis' value or wanting to sign him, they will milk it at the table for every cent so why not leave them in the dark. Whether Woody's ultimate goal is to trade him or resign him, it doesn't pay to let those agents know in advance either way, especially when Revis is still under contract AND cannot holdout. Hearing all this heightened, emotional coverage sounds like Feinsod and Schwarz stirring the pot because it is the only leverage they currently have and they want Idzik and Woody to give up their leverage and make a quick, hasty move.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyld View Post
    I just love the fact that Idzik is keeping those parasites, Feinsod and Schwarz in the dark. They are so used to dictating the terms and applying pressure publicly and so far it seems, that Idzik is not reacting emotionally to all that is being written and said about Revis. He is maintaining his pace and rhythm on the situation and not being swayed. Feinsod and Schwarz's other contract problem child, Vincent Jackson, is on the Bucs and I wouldn't be surprised if they are not pushing the Glazers and that front office to take their other client, Revis. Woody learned something from the last negotiation with them, "keep your mouth closed." If you say anything definitive about Revis' value or wanting to sign him, they will milk it at the table for every cent so why not leave them in the dark. Whether Woody's ultimate goal is to trade him or resign him, it doesn't pay to let those agents know in advance either way, especially when Revis is still under contract AND cannot holdout. Hearing all this heightened, emotional coverage sounds like Feinsod and Schwarz stirring the pot because it is the only leverage they currently have and they want Idzik and Woody to give up their leverage and make a quick, hasty move.
    and worst of all for them, tanny is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    That is something we will never know. Mr.T was owned by WRECKS and apparently IDZIK is running things the way he wants with no interferance from the HC. Thus we will never know if Tanny would have cut any or all of the guys that IDZIK did. I am happy with what I have seen thus far! The new GM seems skillful and does things his way!
    Absolutely. However Tanny said, when questioned about leaving the Jets in salary cap hell during his SB media tour, a plan was in place and he'd be happy to come back in a few weeks to discuss it. He said whether Idzik followed it or tweaked it was up to him. But a plan was in place.

Tanny's draft philosophy was quality over quantity. Said he had the figures to back it up. I remember an interview when Bradway agreed with him too...Whether Idzik believes that? We'll see.

Where I think Tanny went wrong, as I have stated before, was he allowed Rex's personality and persona to take over the franchise. That's not Rex's fault, that Tanny's for allowing it. Tanny we know came up through the Parcells way (Mangini's too) of doing things-tight lipped, rigid etc.

I also think that if, as reported, the Tebow acquisition was his idea (and Rex's) then he had to go. Someone had to pay for that fiasco and Woody wasn't going to axe Rex with 2yrs left on his contract at $3M+ per yr. Boomer Easison said it well today. No way was Woody going to pay 2 GMs and 2 HCs this season.

All Pro

I also think that if, as reported, the Tebow acquisition was his idea (and Rex's) then he had to go. Someone had to pay for that fiasco and Woody wasn't going to axe Rex with 2yrs left on his contract at $3M+ per yr. Boomer Easison said it well today. No way was Woody going to pay 2 GMs and 2 HCs this season.
    There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to indicate that Rex had anything to do with the Tebow acquisition. During the season he may as well not have existed the way Rex shunned him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to indicate that Rex had anything to do with the Tebow acquisition. During the season he may as well not have existed the way Rex shunned him.
    The oft-told story is that he came up with the idea last March while sitting with Ryan at Newark Airport, eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream and waiting for their flight to the North Carolina Pro Day. That's when the Manning-to-Denver rumblings were getting louder.

In truth, Tannenbaum and Ryan already had been discussing the idea of adding a running quarterback to the offense. They wanted to find a replacement for Brad Smith, who ran the Wildcat through 2010.

Tannenbaum also recalled philosophical conversations with Ryan, who always remarked how difficult it was for him as a defensive-minded coach to contain running quarterbacks. Plus, they had just hired a coordinator, Tony Sparano, who was familiar with the Wildcat.

In Tannenbaum's mind, "It all seemed to make sense," right down to the compensation. They surrendered a fourth-round pick for Tebow, the same round in which they drafted Smith in 2006.

"We thought there was a role for him," said Tannenbaum, speaking publicly for the first time in nearly two months. "Working with Rex every day, and seeing the way the league has evolved with the ball being in the quarterback's hands and making plays with your feet, we thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic. It just didn't work out that way."

The oft-told story is that he came up with the idea last March while sitting with Ryan at Newark Airport, eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream and waiting for their flight to the North Carolina Pro Day. That's when the Manning-to-Denver rumblings were getting louder.

In truth, Tannenbaum and Ryan already had been discussing the idea of adding a running quarterback to the offense. They wanted to find a replacement for Brad Smith, who ran the Wildcat through 2010.

Tannenbaum also recalled philosophical conversations with Ryan, who always remarked how difficult it was for him as a defensive-minded coach to contain running quarterbacks. Plus, they had just hired a coordinator, Tony Sparano, who was familiar with the Wildcat.

In Tannenbaum's mind, "It all seemed to make sense," right down to the compensation. They surrendered a fourth-round pick for Tebow, the same round in which they drafted Smith in 2006.

"We thought there was a role for him," said Tannenbaum, speaking publicly for the first time in nearly two months. "Working with Rex every day, and seeing the way the league has evolved with the ball being in the quarterback's hands and making plays with your feet, we thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic. It just didn't work out that way."
    they assumed he could replace brad smith. neither realized the dropoff in athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they assumed he could replace brad smith. neither realized the dropoff in athleticism.
    Or passing ability...

All Pro
    I love what Idzik is doing. It is about time we got a grown up in the house. Why anyone is complaining is beyond me:

He hasn't overpayed anyone.
    He has the patience to let the market set itself for Revis instead of caving into desperation.
    All free agent visits are young, low cost guys with strong upside.
    He has wiggled 16 million free in cap room by getting Santonio Holmes to restructure (a miracle in and of itself).

We will see what he drafts like, and what kind of team we field. But I couldn't be more thrilled.

Then i jump on this board and its the total opposite. Am I missing something? We just fired a guy who's entire rep was built on making big splashes. Why would you want that again?
    i agree idzik has been awesome

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyld View Post
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

No real opinion on him yet, he hasn't done anything. By the time TC starts though, he needs to add some serious talent, our roster is scary bad right now.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Idzik isn't f*cking around

He's making this his team.

He's doing this the right way. Blow this b*tch up and start working towards building a contender from the ground up.

No more band aids, no more splurging on overpriced veterans past their prime.

Build through the draft.

In Izzy we trust
    I was waiting for someone to post this.

FWIW, I think you're right, no Big Splashes like Tanny did, I like it.