Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curtis: Belichick’s Arrogance Once Again Leaves Brady Short-Hande

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    If that is the point, then it is invalid. Lawyer Milloy was released prior to the 2003 season amid great fanfare and criticism. And the Pats went on to win two consecutive SB's.
    Or perhaps, at some point losing valuable veterans takes its toll. No one said great teams CAN'T afford to lose one player, but when you arrogantly shed talent like Bill does and trade down (and missing out on more top talent) you end up with a great QB and not enough to put you over the top.

But I won't expect a pats fan to understand the point you guys seem content losing to the GIants in the super bowl every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Or perhaps, at some point losing valuable veterans takes its toll.
    Your original point was just wrong. This is a different point, which I agree with.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Or perhaps, at some point losing valuable veterans takes its toll. No one said great teams CAN'T afford to lose one player, but when you arrogantly shed talent like Bill does and trade down (and missing out on more top talent) you end up with a great QB and not enough to put you over the top.

But I won't expect a pats fan to understand the point you guys seem content losing to the GIants in the super bowl every other year.
    Signing all of those valuable veterans requires taking money from others on the team that helped deliver them wins, you realize that, right? There is a salary cap?

Veteran
    Kraft said he wanted Welker to stay, then he let him walk. Who is calling the shots? The guy who spent a first on Tebow????

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    How did Branch do with the Seahawks? How did Vrable and Cassel do with the Chief? How did Assante Samuel do in Philly?
    They didnt cripple the playoffest team ever by tying up money at the most bountiful position. Stupid article.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Kraft said he wanted Welker to stay, then he let him walk. Who is calling the shots? The guy who spent a first on Tebow????
    Belichick is calling the shots, Kraft has no say, and rightfully so. Kraft is an owner, not a football man. Belichick is a football man.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Belli has kept the pats at the top of the heap for years by doing this and brady will forget about welker after about 3 games.

Ask jet fans about keeping vet fav's out of loyalty after they have proven they are liabilities.

Eric Smith, Leonard, Pace, Thomas, Scott, hell even sanchez was coddled each year. The pats and Belli are consistent for the most part in getting rid of players a year early rather than a year late.
    Enough with the "coddled" spin

When Brady retires, Belichick will no longer have his get-out-of-jail free card

His drafts have been horrible, he wears on players and their is no loyalty, when Cindy is gone, or begins to decline, and that can happen soon, or could already be happening, players won't be so willing to "stick around" without a HOF QB saving their ass.

Welker ironically is one of the first players to stand up to all of it, and for that, I applaud him for it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Enough with the "coddled" spin

When Brady retires, Belichick will no longer have his get-out-of-jail free card

His drafts have been horrible, he wears on players and their is no loyalty, when Cindy is gone, or begins to decline, and that can happen soon, or could already be happening, players won't be so willing to "stick around" without a HOF QB saving their ass.

Welker ironically is one of the first players to stand up to all of it, and for that, I applaud him for it.
    If Matt Cassel can save BB ass for a season I'm pretty sure some other QB can too.

All League
    If Matt Cassel can save BB ass for a season I'm pretty sure some other QB can too.
    No no, in Ray's world the Pats are the worst drafters on the planet, have no idea what they are doing and rely 100% on Brady.

All League
    The last time I checked with Ray, Brady was 55 and collecting AARP checks.

Hall Of Fame
    Cassel was an aberration

He fumbled once in the playoffs and has ever since.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    No no, in Ray's world the Pats are the worst drafters on the planet, have no idea what they are doing and rely 100% on Brady.
    In my mind? You denying the facts?

All League
    Article was a bit over the top and melodramatic. I think BB's a dirtbag but the article asserts his some mindless cretin who owes it all to Brady. There's some truth but let's not exaggerate...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Lol @ this writer. He acted as though R. Seymour did something when he left the Pats. How did Branch do with the Seahawks? How did Vrable and Cassel do with the Chief? How did Assante Samuel do in Philly? The list goes on and on. I like a coach who have some balls to make such tough decision. Rex talk tough but dont have the balls to make such decision.
    Did you ever actually watch Seymour with Oakland? I'd agree on the other players but Seymour had PLENTY of gas left in the tank when he was traded

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Did you ever actually watch Seymour with Oakland? I'd agree on the other players but Seymour had PLENTY of gas left in the tank when he was traded
    I concur. The dude could still play.....

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    My wife is from Boston and a life long Patriots fan as is her family....I spoke to her pops in Massachusetts today..they are livid....bellichick usually gets it right, but it's been 9 years since their last supwerbowl title....too many people seen afraid to even question and suspect move he makes even though they are rare but people in Boston are beyond pissed. I f anyone thinks the Patriots are better now than two days ago....they are taking some serious drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    d

BOSTON (CBS) – It is finally time to put away the kid gloves when discussing the off-field decisions of Bill Belichick.

His effort to appear smarter than his peers has once again left the best player he will ever coach short-handed.

Need I remind anyone who “The Hooded One” was when he had the likes of Drew Bledsoe and Bernie Kosar as his quarterback? He was a 41-57 coach, already fired once and on his way to being fired again. So one would think that he would treat the man who has helped make him a Hall of Famer with a little bit more respect.

Belichick arrived in New England by way of a tumultuous ending in East Rutherford with the Jets, but today sits atop the coaching landscape along side the likes of Shula, Lombardi and his idol Paul Brown thanks to the 199th overall pick in the 2000 draft.

Think of all Tom Brady has done for Bill Belichick. He’s done everything that has been asked of him for the past 15 years; pay cut after pay cut, restructure after restructure. It’s been team first, ego second.

How is he rewarded?

He is rewarded by a disingenuous head coach who creates a false need for cap space by “outsmarting” his contemporaries and occupying his roster with 10 dimes instead of a dollar bill. The fact is that the team gets into pissing matches with great players for no reason other than to assert its own power over the superstars.

There is no reason that Richard Seymour should have been traded for a future first-round pick to Oakland. Deion Branch should have been a career Patriot, and Mike Vrabel should have never been packaged as part of the Matt Cassel trade to Kansas City.

The last time Brady re-did his deal to benefit the team was in the offseason of 2005, when Bill surrounded him with one flotsam after another jetsam at wide receiver. Somehow, Brady was able to have the greatest season by the best QB I have ever seen, leading a collection of Reche Calldwells and Jabar Gaffneys to a three-score lead in the AFC Championship Game in Indianapolis. If Branch had never been shipped to Seattle earlier that year, the Patriots would have, without a doubt, won their fourth Super Bowl.

Brady’s biggest hurdle during his time in New England has been his ability to work new receivers into the diverse offensive scheme. Tom came into the league with the greatest possession receiver of all time in Troy Brown, was then was able to work with Branch, and the torch was passed to Wes Welker in 2007.

So, one would assume that the brilliant head coach would surround Brady with as many talented players who have the understanding of said offense in order to capitalize on the waning days of Brady’s career.

Nope.

Over just $2 million — after Brady restructured and extended his contract — “The Man Who Invented Football” decided to allow Tom’s top target to go to Denver and play for the one quarterback Brady will always be judged against. Instead of bringing back Welker, the man who thrived in this system to catch the most passes in the NFL over the last six years, Belichick brought in the injury-prone Danny Amendola.

“The Hooded One” has to know he only has two more peak years of the greatest QB of his generation, so logic would dictate that you would do whatever you can to surround Brady with the best collection of receivers in order to claim another Lombardi Trophy and erase the stain of Spygate.

But that is not the case. Bill seemingly is keener on winning at the negotiating table in March than on the first Sunday in February.

Chris Curtis is the producer of 98.5 The Sports Hub’s The Adam Jones Show. Follow him on Twitter @_ChrisCurtis.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    You actually feel that losign welker was no big deal...lol and replacing him with an injury prone player....did you see welker play in 2012.....to say he will not be missed is absurd....you truly are trying to make yourself beleive that.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly.

BB has done the same thing with Lawyer Malloy, Ty Law, Willie McGinst, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinetieri and the list goes on and on.

It's no big deal at all with Welker.

Hall Of Fame
    Juliam Edelman SUCKS. The only thing he's ever been good at is finger f&*(ing strange women at a bar. Oh wait, I forgot. He got in trouble for that.

Of course pat nation is freaking out.. Welker was a machine for brady.. For a qb who has no feet it sure helped having a quick little shifty tough as nails receiver find the open lane inside.. The chemistry those two had is not replaceable no wonder why Brady is furious.. They definitely wanted him back,why they offered him the deal.. Bb is arrogant and thought welker should be thankfully to play for him.. Glad welker said Fu.. Pats are going downhill, but they will do well In the regular season ha

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

His drafts have been horrible
    This is pretty funny coming from a fan of a team who have completely whiffed on every top 10 draft pick over the last decade, including trading up for the worst starting QB in the NFL.

I wish the Pats were as successful at the draft as the Jets are.