Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We are taking our medicine

Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    I was telling all my friends yesterday we're doing our juice cleanse right now. Need to flush the system before we build the team back up. This is how it works unfortunately.
    Fair metaphor.

We are restructuring some of the bad contracts from Tanny, and letting members of a team that quit on the coach in 2011 and a team that went 6-10 in 2012, walk away as free agents. No big deal.

This was a horrible team. Why anyone is upset over people leaving is beyond me. It really comes down to instant gratification and immature tendencies with the fans. Idzik has a LOT on his plate, he'll fill the roster, it just wasn't going to happen in 3 days.

Hall Of Fame
    Stick around. This was an awesome post. Nice to see people posting with well-informed minds instead of with their emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I may have a low post count and be relatively new here but i have been a jets fan for twenty plus years and i have to get this off my chest. I am at a complete loss as to why certain people are even questioning Idzik's philosophy here, no doubt it's hard to watch Landry walk and Revis traded but a fresh set of eyes has come to the conclusion that for this team to be competitive again things have to change.

The credit card bill is due for 09-10, we loaded up for those Super Bowl runs and it's time to pay the consequences for the way Tanny built those teams.

Tanny's system of keeping a core nucleus of highly paid players resulted in a top heavy roster, he massaged the roster with a number of one year deals which resulted in a high turnover of players, this is why Sanchez has never been able to keep the same receiving core etc. it's a proven system for failure.

We are all used to perusing the cream off free agency and paying ageing vets more then their worth, I know a fanbase's attitude will not change over night but we should be glad of the change in direction Idzik is takin us.

I for one think he is doing a sterling job, making tough decisions like Revis and getting Holmes to take a cut are without doubt good calls. Sitting back and lettin the FA market settle and letting other teams empty their wallets on overhyped garbage again is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel with Idzik everything's well thought out and planned, it may not be flashy but the thought and attention to detail is there.

The New York jets are no longer a team you come to too top up your retirement fund, Idzik negotiates well and is not the doormat Tanny was.

Times are changing get used to it and stop *****ing, there are quality bargain starters still to be had plus we could be loaded come the draft. We may not be a playoff team but we will be a respected young hungry team, and more importantly a well run organisation that does things the right way.

Now come on and let's get Behind them.
    Don't agree he has made any tough decisions only the obvious and I have no idea if he has in place the scouting team needed or if he is good enough to actually have a great plan to rebuild the team.

Good post but until we have evidence that we are building a SB quality team it's still just sunshine.

All Pro
    Agree with the rational sentiments here. The Jets are not sitting on $30 million in cap space. Even if they did, it would be foolish to waste it in the feeding frenzy that marks the initial days of FA. Guys like Goodson, Barnes, Butler are the way to go for now. I think we all need a little tiny bit of patience and an awareness of what we can do realistically with a limited budget.

I agree. When I look at the list of names walking away, nothing really bothers me. Scott, Pace, Thomas, Smith, Greene, Bell, even Keller...ok see ya later. Landry stung a little but he got paid big time so what can you do. Revis being traded eventually is even understandable. But then after watching them walk and I turn around and look at the rest of the team then I get that awful pit in the stomach feeling realizing we are just not very good. Then I look at Rex and think "dafuq is this guy still here for!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    You need proof that building through the draft is a successful strategy? How long have you been watching football? Or sports in general? LOL

The impatience of some of you miserable slobs is unreal. We aren't a week into free agency, and Idzik has created cap space by restructuring guys who a week ago were REFUSING to restructure. Now, there's buzz on which players are scheduled for visits, and they are under-the-radar players that can help this team a LOT.

I am always proud when the Jets do NOT dive into free agency like irresponsible idiots and overpay for ****ty players like Mike Wallace, Ellerbe that are riding an opportunity to get paid like they don't deserve by a chump team.

There isn't a football game until September.
    Calm down McClane! I'm not dissing Idzik's strategy. I just want to wait till we see some results on the field and that might take 3 years. I like the approach. Now we wait and wait and wait and get a piece here and a hit on a draft pick there and maybe by 2014 we start to see it on the field. If we don't see it on the field by 2015 then we will be looking for a new GM.

Wow. It's pretty rare to see a thread for level headed Jets fans that has reached page 2 without being hijacked by the usual attention seeking SOJF's.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    Nice Post and agreed wholeheartedly. Philly is another example of a team that spends big bucks on FA signings to no avail. I'm so over that crap. Go ahead Miami and pay out the yingyang for "seasoned" vets. I would so much rather watch guys that I know will grow with the team and play hungry! I really hope Revis will resign and rework his contract. Can't wait for the draft!
    I agree with this. I'm tired of seeing over paid vets come in and do nothing. I have witnesses the steelers do exactly what we are doing right now for many years. They don't make a splash in free agency and they build thru the draft. I'm very excited for the new regime.

The Jets were a circus of a team especially with the Tebow fiasco. It appears Idzik is changing the direction of the team for the better. Hopefully, he can start building a solid core of players through the draft and the Jets will get back their respect.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Good post, and welcome.

As a veteran of the board, and no longer being tolerant of the SOJF nattering boobs of negativity, you seem to be a refreshing addition to the board.
    Nice attempt at co-option there. I agree with the OP that the new regime appears to be taking the right initial steps to clean up a roster that was a complete mess both from a talent and a cap perspective. I agree with him that some are impatient for the kinds of quick hit feel good moves that characterized the former regime and that those people should be more patient while we dig out from under.

With all of that said it is important to note that your were possibly the most vocal full-throated supporter of the previous regime including all of those moves which the OP implicitly criticizes. During the period we are discussing it was quite normal for you to use the term SOJF and yes, the somewhat well worn "nattering nabobs of negativity" label for any other poster on these boards who did not share your sunny-side-up-all-day-every-day world view on the Jets. So I confess I am confused. Is it that the old regime went astray and the new regime is steering the ship in the right direction (as I believe) or that the old regime had a good direction as you so frequently claimed and that the new one has a good direction too?

Ray I have come to the conclusion that you will simply endorse whole-heartedly whatever decisions and moves are being made by the Jets organization no matter how bizarre and despite any and all evidence which might contradict your position. That you feel it is your duty to attack your fellow Jets fans who do not agree 100% with these views and that you will hold these position until the point that the organization makes a change.

Veteran
    So being a jets fan refusing to accept change, is like a nation being held hostage in a global economic crisis by corrupt politicians. That's cool bro.

Us Brits are amongst the most miserable people on the face of the earth, I got three kids a demanding job and a ***** x wife, I come here for some positivity otherwise hand me the knife.

If I wanted to fight with people I could just go to the local soccer match down the road.

As it is I choose to spend my free time with you lot.
    Some Jets fans not all Jets ...bro... Most of the people on this site are great company, be it virtual. Sorry about the wife but hey, you live in Manchester .. if you are a City fan last year you celebrated your first premier league win since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Some Jets fans not all Jets ...bro... Most of the people on this site are great company, be it virtual. Sorry about the wife but hey, you live in Manchester .. if you are a City fan last year you celebrated your first premier league win since 1968
    Haha, it's funny you should say that as I am a city fan. Thanks for the title props but there won't be a repeat this year.

Waited all my life to see city win it, and i am still waiting too see the jets win a Super Bowl.

I sympathise with jets fans living in the states, we live in Man united's shadow yet have a large fanbase and history etc, its the same rivalry as jets-giants.

When you think about it the jets and city have a lot in common haha!!

Don't worry bout the wife, got a new younger one.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Rebuilding is an exciting time for a fan- new players more enthusiasm on the field.
    This. This team has been unlikeable the last few years. We sucked with them, we can suck without them. Time for a change

All Pro
    I may have a low post count and be relatively new here but i have been a jets fan for twenty plus years and i have to get this off my chest. I am at a complete loss as to why certain people are even questioning Idzik's philosophy here, no doubt it's hard to watch Landry walk and Revis traded but a fresh set of eyes has come to the conclusion that for this team to be competitive again things have to change.

The credit card bill is due for 09-10, we loaded up for those Super Bowl runs and it's time to pay the consequences for the way Tanny built those teams.

Tanny's system of keeping a core nucleus of highly paid players resulted in a top heavy roster, he massaged the roster with a number of one year deals which resulted in a high turnover of players, this is why Sanchez has never been able to keep the same receiving core etc. it's a proven system for failure.

We are all used to perusing the cream off free agency and paying ageing vets more then their worth, I know a fanbase's attitude will not change over night but we should be glad of the change in direction Idzik is takin us.

I for one think he is doing a sterling job, making tough decisions like Revis and getting Holmes to take a cut are without doubt good calls. Sitting back and lettin the FA market settle and letting other teams empty their wallets on overhyped garbage again is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel with Idzik everything's well thought out and planned, it may not be flashy but the thought and attention to detail is there.

The New York jets are no longer a team you come to too top up your retirement fund, Idzik negotiates well and is not the doormat Tanny was.

Times are changing get used to it and stop *****ing, there are quality bargain starters still to be had plus we could be loaded come the draft. We may not be a playoff team but we will be a respected young hungry team, and more importantly a well run organisation that does things the right way.

Now come on and let's get Behind them.
    I guess you didn't get the memo that logic is frowned upon here on the strip

Good Post!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I guess you didn't get the memo that logic is frowned upon here on the strip

Good Post!!!!
    To kind, to kind.

Sorry no memo, must be the location, ill continue to use logic till received.

Veteran
    Haha, it's funny you should say that as I am a city fan. Thanks for the title props but there won't be a repeat this year.

Waited all my life to see city win it, and i am still waiting too see the jets win a Super Bowl.

I sympathise with jets fans living in the states, we live in Man united's shadow yet have a large fanbase and history etc, its the same rivalry as jets-giants.

When you think about it the jets and city have a lot in common haha!!

Don't worry bout the wife, got a new younger one.
    FA Cup in 2011 and then the Premier League in 2012, that's a nice run after decades in the wilderness !

What was the best advise I heard about marriage ... marry young and often ...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Good post

A rebuild is necessary for this team. I'm glad to see Idzik take the rational, smart approach to building a team rather than following the Tanny philosophy of throwing around money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

We needed an overhaul.

Most of our front seven was old as dirt and slow as hell and the entire offense needed to be blown up.

Loving what I'm seeing from Idzik. None of this mortgaging the future bullsh*t for a two year window. Have some patience and build a team that can contend for a decade.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Agree with the rational sentiments here. The Jets are not sitting on $30 million in cap space. Even if they did, it would be foolish to waste it in the feeding frenzy that marks the initial days of FA. Guys like Goodson, Barnes, Butler are the way to go for now. I think we all need a little tiny bit of patience and an awareness of what we can do realistically with a limited budget.
    Exactly

BTW, love the Van Cleef avatar.

Huge fan of the Dollars trilogy.

Agree with OP but still hope against hope they can sign Revis to a reasonable deal. Maybe he realizes CB market ain't what it used to be and with few suitors showing up for a trade his agents would accept guaranteed money now when he is is injured in case he doesn't get back to previous all-world level. Trading best Jet player since Joe Namath still doesn't seem best way to make team better.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Fair metaphor.

We are restructuring some of the bad contracts from Tanny, and letting members of a team that quit on the coach in 2011 and a team that went 6-10 in 2012, walk away as free agents. No big deal.

This was a horrible team. Why anyone is upset over people leaving is beyond me. It really comes down to instant gratification and immature tendencies with the fans. Idzik has a LOT on his plate, he'll fill the roster, it just wasn't going to happen in 3 days.
    Only player that's left so far that was good at all last season was Landry and he is way to injury prone to give a 4 year deal to.