Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We are taking our medicine

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    "Lets not start sucking each others dicks quite yet" look like the correct path but proof is in the pudding. Lets see how this plays out before we anoint this guy the next Pope.
    We're not going to know if this guy is the real deal for a number of years. You can't judge him on how he handles Revis because there may not be a good result possible. Even on this board, people are split on paying him or trading him. Idzik's choice may come down to paying him more than he's worth or trading him for less than he's worth. If Revis stands firm and won't accept less than 16 mil and nobody offers more than a 2nd round draft choice, either choice will be roundly booed on this board.

As someone else said, the credit card is coming due this year. Tanny was hailed by many as a "Cap Guru". It was always bull**** because all he was doing was deferring money to later years - well, welcome to later years. In the NFL, every $ paid gets accounted for in the current year or some future year, so the only "Cap Gurus" are those that paid at or below production value for players - in essence someone who is a good evaluator of talent and is able to determine which players will be successful on his team. I don't really see a difference between a cap guy and a personnel guy.

I for one have been impressed by Idzik. Small sample size thus far and the proof will likely not be there until several years down the road, but so far so good. I'd rather miss out on a player or two, than overpay and as a result continue to be crippled for years in the future. If you look back on all the big $$ signings during the first few days of free agency over the years, I would guess that in retrospect 70 - 80% of those signings would be deemed mistakes and a lot of them gross mistakes.

Who's the last big dollar contract the Giants gave in free agency? how about the Pats? the Steelers? The Ravens? It happens occasionally but not too often. These are the teams that good every year and are frequently in the SB hunt. These are the teams you want to emulate.

I agree with the OP and I think a big thing is going to be how the new GM handles the Revis situation. I like all of the moves so far except letting Landry walk. If he grabs a bunch of picks or a couple picks and a solid player in return for Revis, then it's a win for sure. I also think that with the way the market is going for corners, we might be able to sign Revis for less. 15 mil a season is way too much and I don't really see many teams wanting to pay that big of a chunk on a corner, even if he is the best corner since Deion.

Patience isn't something we are used to being a Jets fan but if he can clean up the cap and build the team like he did the Seahawks, I'm ok with a year or two of rebuilding.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    but this strategy falls apart if we screw up the draft. We need to replace our current roster with younger cheaper talent .
    I don't think the draft will be a complete failure, we'll get a few good players, and I think this draft will be used as a measuring stick for his scouting staff. Idzik knows we've drafted some decent players and had some busts. He doesn't know who is responsible for either. That's why I think there wasn't a wholesale clearing out of the staff. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he's keeping a close eye on who does what, and how well.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    I don't think the draft will be a complete failure, we'll get a few good players, and I think this draft will be used as a measuring stick for his scouting staff. Idzik knows we've drafted some decent players and had some busts. He doesn't know who is responsible for either. That's why I think there wasn't a wholesale clearing out of the staff. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he's keeping a close eye on who does what, and how well.
    You make some good points. Cmart had pointed out to me that Idzik shouldn't get all the credit for finding and drafting players which is correct as he has a whole staff under him. He is the one however to make the overall decisions and I am guessing he does the negotiations with the agents as well. The draft should be very interesting

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I may have a low post count and be relatively new here but i have been a jets fan for twenty plus years and i have to get this off my chest. I am at a complete loss as to why certain people are even questioning Idzik's philosophy here, no doubt it's hard to watch Landry walk and Revis traded but a fresh set of eyes has come to the conclusion that for this team to be competitive again things have to change.

The credit card bill is due for 09-10, we loaded up for those Super Bowl runs and it's time to pay the consequences for the way Tanny built those teams.

Tanny's system of keeping a core nucleus of highly paid players resulted in a top heavy roster, he massaged the roster with a number of one year deals which resulted in a high turnover of players, this is why Sanchez has never been able to keep the same receiving core etc. it's a proven system for failure.

We are all used to perusing the cream off free agency and paying ageing vets more then their worth, I know a fanbase's attitude will not change over night but we should be glad of the change in direction Idzik is takin us.

I for one think he is doing a sterling job, making tough decisions like Revis and getting Holmes to take a cut are without doubt good calls. Sitting back and lettin the FA market settle and letting other teams empty their wallets on overhyped garbage again is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel with Idzik everything's well thought out and planned, it may not be flashy but the thought and attention to detail is there.

The New York jets are no longer a team you come to too top up your retirement fund, Idzik negotiates well and is not the doormat Tanny was.

Times are changing get used to it and stop *****ing, there are quality bargain starters still to be had plus we could be loaded come the draft. We may not be a playoff team but we will be a respected young hungry team, and more importantly a well run organisation that does things the right way.

Now come on and let's get Behind them.
    Hard to read and accept but a dead on summary of where we are at as a team. Is is though a little puzzling that they are taking this route AND keeping Rex.

Good job, Harrier...post more often!

Good post Harrier.