Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are taking our medicine

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

We are taking our medicine

I may have a low post count and be relatively new here but i have been a jets fan for twenty plus years and i have to get this off my chest. I am at a complete loss as to why certain people are even questioning Idzik's philosophy here, no doubt it's hard to watch Landry walk and Revis traded but a fresh set of eyes has come to the conclusion that for this team to be competitive again things have to change.

The credit card bill is due for 09-10, we loaded up for those Super Bowl runs and it's time to pay the consequences for the way Tanny built those teams.

Tanny's system of keeping a core nucleus of highly paid players resulted in a top heavy roster, he massaged the roster with a number of one year deals which resulted in a high turnover of players, this is why Sanchez has never been able to keep the same receiving core etc. it's a proven system for failure.

We are all used to perusing the cream off free agency and paying ageing vets more then their worth, I know a fanbase's attitude will not change over night but we should be glad of the change in direction Idzik is takin us.

I for one think he is doing a sterling job, making tough decisions like Revis and getting Holmes to take a cut are without doubt good calls. Sitting back and lettin the FA market settle and letting other teams empty their wallets on overhyped garbage again is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel with Idzik everything's well thought out and planned, it may not be flashy but the thought and attention to detail is there.

The New York jets are no longer a team you come to too top up your retirement fund, Idzik negotiates well and is not the doormat Tanny was.

Times are changing get used to it and stop *****ing, there are quality bargain starters still to be had plus we could be loaded come the draft. We may not be a playoff team but we will be a respected young hungry team, and more importantly a well run organisation that does things the right way.

Now come on and let's get Behind them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I may have a low post count and be relatively new here but i have been a jets fan for twenty plus years and i have to get this off my chest. I am at a complete loss as to why certain people are even questioning Idzik's philosophy here, no doubt it's hard to watch Landry walk and Revis traded but a fresh set of eyes has come to the conclusion that for this team to be competitive again things have to change.

The credit card bill is due for 09-10, we loaded up for those Super Bowl runs and it's time to pay the consequences for the way Tanny built those teams.

Tanny's system of keeping a core nucleus of highly paid players resulted in a top heavy roster, he massaged the roster with a number of one year deals which resulted in a high turnover of players, this is why Sanchez has never been able to keep the same receiving core etc. it's a proven system for failure.

We are all used to perusing the cream off free agency and paying ageing vets more then their worth, I know a fanbase's attitude will not change over night but we should be glad of the change in direction Idzik is takin us.

I for one think he is doing a sterling job, making tough decisions like Revis and getting Holmes to take a cut are without doubt good calls. Sitting back and lettin the FA market settle and letting other teams empty their wallets on overhyped garbage again is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel with Idzik everything's well thought out and planned, it may not be flashy but the thought and attention to detail is there.

The New York jets are no longer a team you come to too top up your retirement fund, Idzik negotiates well and is not the doormat Tanny was.

Times are changing get used to it and stop *****ing, there are quality bargain starters still to be had plus we could be loaded come the draft. We may not be a playoff team but we will be a respected young hungry team, and more importantly a well run organisation that does things the right way.

Good post, and welcome.

As a veteran of the board, and no longer being tolerant of the SOJF nattering boobs of negativity, you seem to be a refreshing addition to the board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post and I absolutey agree. I'm really looking forward to next season and how our young guys develop. Expectations will be down but I think we will enjoy watching a "young, hungry" team as you said...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Good post, and welcome.

As a veteran of the board, and no longer being tolerant of the SOJF nattering boobs of negativity, you seem to be a refreshing addition to the board.
    Thanks for the welcome!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Great post and I absolutey agree. I'm really looking forward to next season and how our young guys develop. Expectations will be down but I think we will enjoy watching a "young, hungry" team as you said...
    I am looking forward to THIS season. It will be very interesting and telling to see who the front office brings in during free agency and who they draft. I couldn't agree more with the OP. There are many of us in agreement, but we get drowned out by the loud whining and complaining on this board.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Post and agreed wholeheartedly. Philly is another example of a team that spends big bucks on FA signings to no avail. I'm so over that crap. Go ahead Miami and pay out the yingyang for "seasoned" vets. I would so much rather watch guys that I know will grow with the team and play hungry! I really hope Revis will resign and rework his contract. Can't wait for the draft!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are ridiculous fans who think we're worse than Kotite's Jets. But we can't go to the other extreme and anoint this guy as some genius GM before he's done anything.

Let's see how he handles the Revis thing. Let's see how the draft pans out. Let's see how he chooses to plug the MANY holes we now have on our roster. IOW, let's give the guy a chance to prove himself one way or the other.

Overreacting to either extreme is still overreacting (though I guess that makes you a perfect fit here!)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Yes, there are ridiculous fans who think we're worse than Kotite's Jets. But we can't go to the other extreme and anoint this guy as some genius GM before he's done anything.

Let's see how he handles the Revis thing. Let's see how the draft pans out. Let's see how he chooses to plug the MANY holes we now have on our roster. IOW, let's give the guy a chance to prove himself one way or the other.

Overreacting to either extreme is still overreacting (though I guess that makes you a perfect fit here!)
    Agreed, not saying he can walk on water, just it's a refreshing change that not enough people are backing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!!!

Newness or not SANITY is always welcome.

I just want you to know it is hard for some Jets fans to follow what Idzik is doing since he has a PLAN... A long term PLAN and as you know we haven't seen one of those for awhile.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you very much!!!

Newness or not SANITY is always welcome.

I just want you to know it is hard for some Jets fans to follow what Idzik is doing since he has a PLAN... A long term PLAN and as you know we haven't seen one of those for awhile.....
    Speaking of plans, I'm coming over next year for a game, I also spent $200 on gamepass last year and sat through all 16 games.

Any plan that makes us better then the dross I watched last year I'm fully on board with!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree but Americans love credit cards so like the fiscal crisis, this change in philosophy, while absolutely essential is difficult for some fans to swallow.

Personally I'm more excited this off season than I have been in years. I like the approach of the new GM. I was not convinced that Tanny team was as good as believed. I don't expect this year to be spectacular but I expect to see a re-tooling that might last

Personally I am not interested in fielding a competitive team, I am interested in a Super Bowl winning team. I would prefer to be miserly with contracts and build with a long term view always. For that we need to keep swinging for the fences in the draft for a QB. I would go lower rounds this year and draft another qb next year.

But moaning by fans is normal, it's an escape from life and the debate of how to rebuild this team is fun otherwise it''s a circle jerk of everyone agreeing ... that's why Tex and company comes to this board for a little conflict ... it's fun !

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brother....trust me there are many rational Jets fans out there that actually understand whats going on and that we are going in a damn good direction.....to the ones who question it....they can remain clueless.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed

but this strategy falls apart if we screw up the draft. We need to replace our current roster with younger cheaper talent .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if if if and as usual evrything is negative...thank god some of us are enjoying this new direction for the jets without tearing down the foundation before it has even been brought up.....our new gm has an idea what he is doing....why in the world would you talk about him screwing up the draft...are you remotely aware of the importance with what he is doing now by freeing up cap space and not over spending money on free agents......sheesh.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the first thing the GM said in his press conference that he will build through the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    but this strategy falls apart if we screw up the draft. We need to replace our current roster with younger cheaper talent .

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Lets not start sucking each others dicks quite yet" look like the correct path but proof is in the pudding. Lets see how this plays out before we anoint this guy the next Pope.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rebuilding is an exciting time for a fan- new players more enthusiasm on the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I completely agree but Americans love credit cards so like the fiscal crisis, this change in philosophy, while absolutely essential is difficult for some fans to swallow.

Personally I'm more excited this off season than I have been in years. I like the approach of the new GM. I was not convinced that Tanny team was as good as believed. I don't expect this year to be spectacular but I expect to see a re-tooling that might last

Personally I am not interested in fielding a competitive team, I am interested in a Super Bowl winning team. I would prefer to be miserly with contracts and build with a long term view always. For that we need to keep swinging for the fences in the draft for a QB. I would go lower rounds this year and draft another qb next year.

But moaning by fans is normal, it's an escape from life and the debate of how to rebuild this team is fun otherwise it''s a circle jerk of everyone agreeing ... that's why Tex and company comes to this board for a little conflict ... it's fun !
    So being a jets fan refusing to accept change, is like a nation being held hostage in a global economic crisis by corrupt politicians. That's cool bro.

Us Brits are amongst the most miserable people on the face of the earth, I got three kids a demanding job and a ***** x wife, I come here for some positivity otherwise hand me the knife.

If I wanted to fight with people I could just go to the local soccer match down the road.

As it is I choose to spend my free time with you lot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was telling all my friends yesterday we're doing our juice cleanse right now. Need to flush the system before we build the team back up. This is how it works unfortunately.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    "Lets not start sucking each others dicks quite yet" look like the correct path but proof is in the pudding. Lets see how this plays out before we anoint this guy the next Pope.
    You need proof that building through the draft is a successful strategy? How long have you been watching football? Or sports in general? LOL

The impatience of some of you miserable slobs is unreal. We aren't a week into free agency, and Idzik has created cap space by restructuring guys who a week ago were REFUSING to restructure. Now, there's buzz on which players are scheduled for visits, and they are under-the-radar players that can help this team a LOT.

I am always proud when the Jets do NOT dive into free agency like irresponsible idiots and overpay for ****ty players like Mike Wallace, Ellerbe that are riding an opportunity to get paid like they don't deserve by a chump team.

There isn't a football game until September.