Thread: ESPN 30 for 30: Elway to Marino - Premieres April 23

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN 30 for 30: Elway to Marino - Premieres April 23

On April 23, ESPN Films will premiere Elway to Marino, from NFL Films and director Ken Rodgers, offering an in-depth examination of the 1983 NFL Draft that was highlighted by a record six quarterbacks being taken in the first round, including future Hall of Famers John Elway and Dan Marino. The next full slate of 30 for 30 Vol. II is scheduled to premiere in October.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...way-to-marino/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    On April 23, ESPN Films will premiere Elway to Marino, from NFL Films and director Ken Rodgers, offering an in-depth examination of the 1983 NFL Draft that was highlighted by a record six quarterbacks being taken in the first round, including future Hall of Famers John Elway and Dan Marino. The next full slate of 30 for 30 Vol. II is scheduled to premiere in October.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...way-to-marino/
    That's going to be painful. But to be honest, that's got to be painful for Kansas City, too. Bills got Jim Kelly, so I don't they can be too concerned with not getting Marino.

New England eventually got their championships, so drafting Eason doesn't sting so bad. But the Jets and Chiefs fans can look back and wonder.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads-up.I think this series is just about the best thing ESPN has ever done. This Sunday they are showing the 1983 NC State story, obviously focusing on Jimmy V. Bring the box of Kleenex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up.I think this series is just about the best thing ESPN has ever done. This Sunday they are showing the 1983 NC State story, obviously focusing on Jimmy V. Bring the box of Kleenex.
    I agree! Thanks for the Sunday heads up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also not looking forward to "Lewis to Bledsoe", which is inevitable. It's a lot of fun being a Jets fan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oy vey.

Glad I wasn't around for that one.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets were never, never, never going to take Dan Marino. There were rumors about drug use and there was an issue with Marino's knee.

The Jets were an ultra conservative franchise in terms of the players they wanted on their club, and Marino sent up red flags all over the place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    The Jets were never, never, never going to take Dan Marino. There were rumors about drug use and there was an issue with Marino's knee.

The Jets were an ultra conservative franchise in terms of the players they wanted on their club, and Marino sent up red flags all over the place.
    Just like Sapp.

I was around for that one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Oy vey.

Glad I wasn't around for that one.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Youtube has most of the first round http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vL0MpmIh88

If you go to 2:20:00 on this video, good ole Sal Marchiano interviews a couple of Jets fans sitting in a hotel balcony, and even these folks knew the Jets should take Marino.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sucks that they passed on Marino, but don't forget that the guy never won anything but passing titles.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ken O'Brien was a good QB, just massively overshadowed by those two. I hope he gets some respect in this doc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Ken O'Brien was a good QB, just massively overshadowed by those two. I hope he gets some respect in this doc.
    Ken O'Brien was the fourth best quarterback from that draft behind Kelly, Elway, and Marino.

Tony Eason and Blackledge were worse.

O'Brien is only considered a bust because he went ahead of Marino. In truth, he was a very good quarterback

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Only the most negative of Jets fans would consider O'Brien a bust. He was limited, but ultimately he was a very good passer and had a pretty good first few years with the team.

But, it's impossible to separate from Marino because

A) Fans wanted Marino
    B) Marino's success in the NFL
    C) Marino went to Jets rival
    D) Marino was next QB taken off the board, so it wasn't a case of looking back and reaching for someone.

I'm curious if Chiefs fans lament not taking Jim Kelly or Marino in the same way. I don't believe there was an expectation of Marino or Jim Kelly being a top 10 pick, but I don't know if there were "Mock Drafts" from that far back.