Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is Rex still the Head Coach?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Its retooling...cutting the fat and bringing in players that are young with more upside. We will be "retooling" until we find a ****ing qb. Our defense will still be very solid which is why I am not with the crowd that thinnks we are only winning 4 games. The jets will be beat the bad teams with no qbs like they normally do.

The only player that will be hard to replace is landry. I believe we will bring back pouha on the cheap. Everyone else is replaced or will be easily replaced via draft or FA.

Im not considering revis yet because nothing has happened with him, the way this market is going his price may very well come down to the 12 million that I believe we all would accept to sign him at.

No, no, no

A team like the Ravens that is coming off a Superbowl run is retooling.

We're coming off back to back disastrous seasons and are in fullblown rebuild mode. Which is fine, because it needed to happen.

I can deal with a couple of sh*tty seasons if it sets us up for a decade of contention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only explanation is that Woody has a foot fetish too, so they relate well. Seriously, Rex is a master salesman---I think he managed to sell Woody a bill of goods. Hopefully, Idzik will fire him at the end of this year.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Part of me thinks that Idzik is giving Rex a chance to prove his "defensive guru" status this year.

It is easy to call defense when the "I" of your defense is Ngata, Lewis and Reed. With Suggs coming off the edge.

Lets see how he does with a group of young players and mid to low level FAs. He will have to prove his worth this year. Can he develop the young players and field a respectable defense. If he doesn't then he is proven to just be a blowhard button pusher who does well when the buttons are Pro Bowlers.
    Your mind travels far and still ends up with drivel. Rex is a defensive guru until proven otherwise. A short time ago you were crying about his offensive shortcomings; now you messed your other diaper.

The things you say can boggle the mind. I think you outsmart yourself; and then have the temerity to push hard on others if they don't agree with your thoughts. It's obvious Rex can coach defense; but in a rebuilding year it could get ugly. Has nothing to do with Rex's ability to coach this year; they are looking for new parts. If we actually field a talented 2013 team it will be on Idzik; I don't see any nightmare scenario originating from (as you say) "Rex's ability to coach".

Am I wrong?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Your mind travels far and still ends up with drivel. Rex is a defensive guru until proven otherwise. A short time ago you were crying about his offensive shortcomings; now you messed your other diaper.

The things you say can boggle the mind. I think you outsmart yourself; and then have the temerity to push hard on others if they don't agree with your thoughts. It's obvious Rex can coach defense; but in a rebuilding year it could get ugly. Has nothing to do with Rex's ability to coach this year; they are looking for new parts. If we actually field a talented 2013 team it will be on Idzik; I don't see any nightmare scenario originating from (as you say) "Rex's ability to coach".

Am I wrong?
    Our defense has pretty much gotten worse every year. Outside of Wilkerson, I have to question the development of every player we have drafted with him as HC.

"Ability to coach" goes beyond designing blitzes.

When I say "respectable" I am not talking about a Top 5 or Top 10 defense. But I do expect our defense to be competitive with Rex as the coach. If we get steam-rolled then I think it does say something about his ability.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-15-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    First off, this isnt a thread knocking Rex or his coaching ability.

I just find it strange, now that its obvious we are rebuilding, that we kept him for one more year?

If youre going to start fresh why not top to bottom?

Just weird.
    We should keep Rex and see what we have. He did take a very average team in '09 and '10 to the AFCCG. We have a few good players, but top to bottom pretty average. I like that Idzik is running the show and let's see what he can do with this roster and then let's see what Rex can do with the roster provided. If Rex tones down his bravado, then we can move forward with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    last two seasons was 8-8 and 6-10...you make it sound like we are comig off back to back 2-14 seasons lol.

I am glad with the rebuilding but this 2013 probably will compete....will be alot of new faces which is a good thing....to say in march that they will be horrid is absurd. thats like saying the dolphins is the best team in the division......in MARCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No, no, no

A team like the Ravens that is coming off a Superbowl run is retooling.

We're coming off back to back disastrous seasons and are in fullblown rebuild mode. Which is fine, because it needed to happen.

I can deal with a couple of sh*tty seasons if it sets us up for a decade of contention.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Our defense has pretty much gotten worse every year. Outside of Wilkerson, I have to question the development of every player we have drafted with him as HC.

"Ability to coach" goes beyond designing blitzes.

When I say "respectable" I am not talking about a Top 5 or Top 10 defense. But I do expect our defense to be competitive with Rex as the coach. If we get steam-rolled then I think it does say something about his ability.
    When people say, "Give Rex Brady and let's see what he can do," I say, "give BB Rex's secondary and let's see what he can do." Rex is going to have to work with very little talent this season, the outcome will show his defensive coaching acumen.