Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keller a Fin

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    great receiving TE, but a very poor blocker.
    Keller?

All Pro
    I wonder if he has a black audi i am here in va and on route 81 south a car with the liscence plate that said keller flew by me he must have been doing 80-85 as i was doing 75.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    jets are starting fresh in many positions...i love it. last i saw the patriots are also in the division and will see him twice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    So he can replace Keller.
    Here's one evaluation of Ertz:

Stanford University tight end Zach Ertz is quietly surpassing the other best TE prospect, Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert, on many draft boards. What Ertz offers is a huge frame, solid straight line speed, so he can be a versatile offensive weapon.

Ertz is polished as a receiver. He runs clean routes and shows a nice snap when changing directions. He clears defenders without losing much speed and can redirect a linebacker caught flat-footed. Ertz has great hands and can snatch the ball away from his body. Not a great leaper, but with long arms and a tall frame, he doesn't necessarily need to be. Tough and willing to take big hits over the middle.

As a blocker, Ertz has a long way to go. He'll be best utilized as a receiver first and a blocker second. A potential liability against elite pass rushers. Will need at least a year before becoming close to an "every-down" type of tight end who can stay in on pass protection on occasion. Lacks the lower body strength to push a defender off his mark. Plays with a good attitude, a hard working football player.

Veteran
    +1

Brady would send him to the Pro Bowl.
    I would have loved to see him with the giants so then all these jet fans that wanted him run out of town would see how good he would do with a solid qb. Jesus look what he did in 2010 I believe again with Mark suckchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    I'm happy to see him go. Underachieved the past two years.
    Will we draft a TE?
    Like most players, coaches, FO people the past 2 seasons.

Although look at his stars '10 & '11 he was top 10 in receptions for TEs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Everyone that hates on Keller is in for a rude awakening.
    I agree.

based on some of the posts...every JET underachieved and good riddance.

Keller was solid.

All League
    fat smelly balls.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I agree.

based on some of the posts...every JET underachieved and good riddance.

Keller was solid.
    solid, but replacable. not one phase of his game is top 10 among TEs - speed, routes, hands, blocking.

I am fine with this. Like I have been saying. So tired of hearing the word potential as it relates to Jet players. Yes Keller did show a few signs of greatness. Just not near enough. He never took that next step. Start new, just like we are going to do with 80% of the roster over the next couple of years.

If Keller signed an absurdly expensive deal then it would make sense to let him go. However, he signed a one year deal. I would have liked to given him another year in this new system and seen how he performed. He is a solid receiver and one year deal is not that much of a gamble or commitment.

@JasonLaCanfora: Dustin Keller gets a one-year deal with Dolphins - another sign it's tough sledding on the TE market

Cumberland

Quote Originally Posted by jayrad01 View Post
    Keller?
    Cumberland has the same skill set as Keller. Needs to improve his route running. Time for him to prove what he can do.

JMO. NFL FO trend seems to be more 1 yr deals.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    +1

Brady would send him to the Pro Bowl.
    +1

+1

Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    This will come back to bite us in the ass
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Underachieved ? Look who was throwing to him.

Look at his rookie season with Favre.

That's the difference. Hate to see him go.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by dinamite View Post
    If Keller signed an absurdly expensive deal then it would make sense to let him go. However, he signed a one year deal. I would have liked to given him another year in this new system and seen how he performed. He is a solid receiver and one year deal is not that much of a gamble or commitment.
    +1

Unfortunate history of the Jets franchise, NY media, and fan base:

1. See talented player in the draft.
    2. Draft talented player.
    3. Fan base/media GO NUTS believing they are THE BEST EVER!
    4. The player, although good/respectable/servicable/above average, does not live up to expectations of being THE BEST EVER within 2-4 years, and the media/fan base starts to sour.
    5. Player hears/reads all the boo birds/negative media reports, and play suffers. Sometimes, coaching is poor/lame duck. Sometimes, said player gets hurt (contact sport, it happens), which compounds the anger against him.
    6. Fan base begins to HATE/DESPISE said player.
    7. Player is run out of town, and compared to the handful of busts that the team has had (Ghoston, Blair Thomas, ect.).
    8. Player goes to another team, and plays out a respectable career, often beating the Jets and/or winning a Super Bowl on his other team.
    9. Rinse and repeat every position every 2-5 years.
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 03-15-2013 at 12:08 PM.

I'm not sad to see him go. I think he did underachieve with the skill set he had. He is the TE version of Greene, put up some okay numbers due to number of targets, looked very good a game maybe two a year, mediocre most of them and bad in a few. The going offsides stunt he pulled in that one game in the red zone told me a lot about him as a player.

Why? Because he makes the occasional nice play? Nobody's saying he can't play ... it's just not that big a loss. He can't block a lick - well below average - and he's certainly not in the Gronkowski/Gates-in-his-prime mold where he's a difference maker. He's just ok. Dustin Keller's are a dime a dozen.

Not a huge Keller fan but today the Fins are marginally better and the Jets are marginally worse. As a Jets fan this is not something to cheer about.

Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    Why? Because he makes the occasional nice play? Nobody's saying he can't play ... it's just not that big a loss. He can't block a lick - well below average - and he's certainly not in the Gronkowski/Gates-in-his-prime mold where he's a difference maker. He's just ok. Dustin Keller's are a dime a dozen.
    there's a prevailing thought that b/c he was drafted in the first round, he's destined to blossom with another team. he never exhibited the skill set of a true first round TE talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    +1

+1

+1

+1

+1

Unfortunate history of the Jets franchise, NY media, and fan base:

1. See talented player in the draft.
    2. Draft talented player.
    3. Fan base/media GO NUTS believing they are THE BEST EVER!
    4. The player, although good/respectable/servicable/above average, does not live up to expectations of being THE BEST EVER within 2-4 years, and the media/fan base starts to sour.
    5. Player hears/reads all the boo birds/negative media reports, and play suffers. Sometimes, coaching is poor/lame duck. Sometimes, said player gets hurt (contact sport, it happens), which compounds the anger against him.
    6. Fan base begins to HATE/DESPISE said player.
    7. Player is run out of town, and compared to the handful of busts that the team has had (Ghoston, Blair Thomas, ect.).
    8. Player goes to another team, and plays out a respectable career, often beating the Jets and/or winning a Super Bowl on his other team.
    9. Rinse and repeat every position every 2-5 years.
    Give me an example of #8. And not just one or two. Give me a list of guys that fit this pattern. "Run out of town" only to come back to beat us (this is a stretch anyway, given that TEAMS beat other teams, not individual players) and/or win Super Bowls. I'm eager to see the long list ...