Thread: 3 days in, some observations

3 days in, some observations

1) With the Jets interest in Kolb, starting to wonder whether Sanchez is on the team this year. Wondering if they might get him to restructure just enough to move him and minimize dead money next year. Idzik not spending much makes me wonder if he is planning for dead money. Could recoup a mid-round draft pick if the deal works for the other team.
    2) CB market is softening, Sean Smith at 6million. Will be interesting to see what Asomugha and Woodson get. As that market softens, it behooves the Jets to be patient with Revis. His chance at a $15 million payday/yr is drying up. Could thaw things between him and the Jets to get a deal done quickly, or else the Jets wait til later in the season to negotiate. The softening CB market only strengthens the Jets position here. Tampa better step up to the plate if they want him. Best thing Jets can do is eat the $1 million roster bonus to show the league that they're serious and may keep him.
    3) Expect the Jets to resign some of the players they let go, but at minimum deals. The longer FA goes without signings for Scott, Pace, Slauson, Edwards, Smith, and Moore, the greater the possibility a few return.
    4) The bottoming of the CB market will be good for us, as we can sign a couple players on the cheap and get some depth in secondary and at safety before the draft.

Sanchez knows his days as QB of the NYJ are numbered, therefore I doubt the greedy little A$$hole would ever take a paycut. It also does not make any sense for the Jets to restructure Sanchez as all that does is add misery to future seasons for the fans.

I believe he will on the team this season, unfortunately. His role will be to keep the chairs on the sideline from flying away. IMO, Garrard even at 35 is still better than Sanchez. If they get Kolb? I would think he would immediately beat out Sanchez and Garrard.

In regards to the CB salaries? I hope you are right. I want Revis to be a Jet for the rest of his career. But I would love for some sanity to come through in any negotiations the Jets FO has with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I gotta agree with you.....anyone can see from the vibes tha the writing is on the wall for Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Sanchez knows his days as QB of the NYJ are numbered, therefore I doubt the greedy little A$$hole would ever take a paycut. It also does not make any sense for the Jets to restructure Sanchez as all that does is add misery to future seasons for the fans.

I believe he will on the team this season, unfortunately. His role will be to keep the chairs on the sideline from flying away. IMO, Garrard even at 35 is still better than Sanchez. If they get Kolb? I would think he would immediately beat out Sanchez and Garrard.

In regards to the CB salaries? I hope you are right. I want Revis to be a Jet for the rest of his career. But I would love for some sanity to come through in any negotiations the Jets FO has with him.

Good post.

The softening of the CB market is the most significant. I was eager to see what Sean Smith signed for, and to see how it might impact Revis situation.

Free agent CBs were many, and none got ludicrous deals, that can only favor the Jets in both scenarios... if they keep Revis, they may not need to pay him $16m / year, if other teams see CB being cheaper to sign, it may increase the interest in trade partners.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    1) With the Jets interest in Kolb, starting to wonder whether Sanchez is on the team this year. Wondering if they might get him to restructure just enough to move him and minimize dead money next year. Idzik not spending much makes me wonder if he is planning for dead money. Could recoup a mid-round draft pick if the deal works for the other team.
    2) CB market is softening, Sean Smith at 6million. Will be interesting to see what Asomugha and Woodson get. As that market softens, it behooves the Jets to be patient with Revis. His chance at a $15 million payday/yr is drying up. Could thaw things between him and the Jets to get a deal done quickly, or else the Jets wait til later in the season to negotiate. The softening CB market only strengthens the Jets position here. Tampa better step up to the plate if they want him. Best thing Jets can do is eat the $1 million roster bonus to show the league that they're serious and may keep him.
    3) Expect the Jets to resign some of the players they let go, but at minimum deals. The longer FA goes without signings for Scott, Pace, Slauson, Edwards, Smith, and Moore, the greater the possibility a few return.
    4) The bottoming of the CB market will be good for us, as we can sign a couple players on the cheap and get some depth in secondary and at safety before the draft.
    A lot of people are saying that the low contracts the FA CBs are signing are somehow setting the market for Revis. I don't think his demands would be lowered one bit by this. If the reports are to be believed, Revis isn't comparing himself to other CBs, he's comparing himself to Mario Williams as the highest-paid defensive player in football. And Williams' salary hasn't gone down one penny.

I'd have interest in one of the guards and Edwards. I would be highly disappointed if we signed back any of the others on that list no matter how cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    I don't think Woody wants to pay Revis period. I would be shocked if he is not traded

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Agree that Sanchez won't take a paycut, but he may agree to convert a small portion of his salary to a signing bonus that the Jets pay (and which creates a little dead money next year). That would lower his salary this year, and might help move him to a team for a mid-round pick. Think Jason had discussed this on his site.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

I'd have interest in one of the guards and Edwards. I would be highly disappointed if we signed back any of the others on that list no matter how cheap.
    I almost agree with you. I would like to see Edwards, Slauson and Moore brought back into the fold... but only for the right price. Any of the defensive players would disappoint me.

Starting to like idzik more as time goes on. It's early.

Looks like he's looking for the right players vs the big names.
    Working the cap and roster methodically to a plan vs getting distracted by the shiney objects.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    A lot of people are saying that the low contracts the FA CBs are signing are somehow setting the market for Revis. I don't think his demands would be lowered one bit by this. If the reports are to be believed, Revis isn't comparing himself to other CBs, he's comparing himself to Mario Williams as the highest-paid defensive player in football. And Williams' salary hasn't gone down one penny.
    That Williams deal stands out as a pretty awful one now. It looks anecdotally like the money in the NFL is shifting more towards the offense. Tom Brady aside, QBs and WRs are getting big money lately. Not so much the defensive players except for some one-year deals. Kruger got a nice deal but it doesn't seem to be bank-breaking.

For Revis to get anything over $10M/season would make him a major outlier. Coming off the knee, I'd be really surprised if he got more than $12M/year for a long contract. If the trend continues, it may be even worse next season unless he comes back AP style. He might, but that's a gamble on his part. This should be interesting in how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I almost agree with you. I would like to see Edwards, Slauson and Moore brought back into the fold... but only for the right price. Any of the defensive players would disappoint me.
    Do NOT bring ANY of those guys back. It would destroy what you have done, and what you want to do going forward. Jets seem to finally have a plan....stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Do NOT bring ANY of those guys back. It would destroy what you have done, and what you want to do going forward. Jets seem to finally have a plan....stick to it.
    Normally I'd agree. But I happen to think Edwards provides quality veteran depth, and historically excels at quick-hitters that allow him to use his physicality after the catch.

Moore, while not a beast anymore, is probably one of the few veteran leaders on offense and is still a steady player. A 1 or 2-year deal for both would not cost the team that much (assumption) and those are guys I think are at least worth considering.

Jets won't be able to fill all the holes right away - a small number of stopgaps should be considered.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I really see no downside in bringing back Moore if it is a reasonable $ deal. The rest, who cares.