Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call Me Crazy But I Think We are Better

Call Me Crazy But I Think We are Better

To an outside person, it must look like a complete player dump what the Jets are doing, a complete rebuilding that will doom us to a horrible season and competing for the top draft pick.

But I actually feel that despite all the players we have lost, we are actually a better team right now than we were before FA.

We have discarded old, sub-JAG players that cannot outperform anyone on the field. Only the losses of Landry and DeVito to a lesser extent will be somewhat difficult to replace, but the rest are totally addition by subtraction.

With the signing today I think we are much stronger at RB. Anyone can outplay Pace and Thomas at OLB, Demario Davis is a solid upgrade over Scott, etc...

One of the key things is that Ryan would have continued to play all these guys. He will be forced to play young players and we will be better for it. I am sure that Rex's head is about to explode because what Idzik is doing is so opposed to the way Rex thinks.

We have a long way to go to fill out the roster. But I am confident that whoever we get to fill the spots left by these ancient jags will be an upgrade. Despite the purge, I feel very very good about this teams direction right now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    To an outside person, it must look like a complete player dump what the Jets are doing, a complete rebuilding that will doom us to a horrible season and competing for the top draft pick.

But I actually feel that despite all the players we have lost, we are actually a better team right now than we were before FA.

We have discarded old, sub-JAG players that cannot outperform anyone on the field. Only the losses of Landry and DeVito to a lesser extent will be somewhat difficult to replace, but the rest are totally addition by subtraction.

With the signing today I think we are much stronger at RB. Anyone can outplay Pace and Thomas at OLB, Demario Davis is a solid upgrade over Scott, etc...

One of the key things is that Ryan would have continued to play all these guys. He will be forced to play young players and we will be better for it. I am sure that Rex's head is about to explode because what Idzik is doing is so opposed to the way Rex thinks.

We have a long way to go to fill out the roster. But I am confident that whoever we get to fill the spots left by these ancient jags will be an upgrade. Despite the purge, I feel very very good about this teams direction right now.
    I agree to an extent. Our offense CANNOT be worse, it'd be virtually impossible, and I'm liking the core that's forming on O (Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Goodson, Powell, Brick, Mangold).

But, I think losing Slauson and Moore will hurt us if we don't draft an OG high enough.

And while guys like Pace, BT, Scott were aging and slower, they knew Rex's scheme inside out. There will be growing pains for our LBs and secondary this year.

While 8-8 isn't impossible, 4-12 is just as likely.

All Pro
    Not Just yet, but we will be by OTAs. We will be better, even if the results are the same.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

OK, U-R ,crazy!

All Pro
    Addition by subtraction......

Jets Insider VIP
    Is what we are doing the best thing for the future of this franchise? yes

Will we be a better team in 2013 because of it? absolutely not

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Not Just yet, but we will be by OTAs. We will be better, even if the results are the same.
    +1

This team finished 6-10 with a horrible QB, a slow, plodding defense and limited talent on offense. Aging, over-priced players left the club with no cap room.

A 6-10 finish a year later with noteworthy development in young players, a ton of cap room, and a new QB prospect is a completely different scenario going into 2014.

It's early, but provided the draft goes as we hope and the Revis situation plays out fairly, the team will be (in a lot of ways) more fun to watch than they were last year. Even if it's less talented initially.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Text from league source on Jets: "They will have the 1st pick in the draft in 2014."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1

This team finished 6-10 with a horrible QB, a slow, plodding defense and limited talent on offense. Aging, over-priced players left the club with no cap room.

A 6-10 finish a year later with noteworthy development in young players, a ton of cap room, and a new QB prospect is a completely different scenario going into 2014.

It's early, but provided the draft goes as we hope and the Revis situation plays out fairly, the team will be (in a lot of ways) more fun to watch than they were last year. Even if it's less talented initially.
    Perfectly said.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Addition by subtraction......
    Benching Sanchez will make the team better alone. I would not at all be surprised if the Jets are better next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

The only way that happens is if the FIX is in.

All Pro
    I absolutely agree. Think about it, DeVito and Pouha were injured a lot last year and the one thing they were asked to do (stop the run) they didnt do very well. Keller was injured a lot aswell and had his worst season in his career. We do not have to talk about Scott, Pace and BT who were done before last season and are finally replaced. Landry and Bell were solid but I would not say that we really lose cornerstones of the defense there since they were only here for one season.

Then you also have to consider that on the defensive side numerous players should make another step forward, Wilkerson, Coples, Davis, some of the young DBs, Ellis...

On offense as already mentioned things cannot get any worse. Mornhinweg is a huge addition and if we can somehow find atleast competent QB play I see no reason why we shouldnt turn in a respectable season with a young and hungry team.

Lets see how the team looks after the draft and free agency are completed.

we have so many holes to fill that to say anything at this point is unrealistic.

We need starters - 2 safeties, 2 Offensive lineman, 2 outside linebackers, we also need another RB, WR, TE and some depth at the OL, DE and CB.

so there is a lot of work to be done, let's be patient and see how the roster is structure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote:
    Text from league source on Jets: "They will have the 1st pick in the draft in 2014."
    These guys need to stop reading my posts and get their own material.

Jets Insider VIP
    I mostly agree, but it is still to early to say really. People underestimate what the loss of Brandon Moore is going to mean. We're likely looking at two new guards, so even if the talent is matched, it takes a while for an o-line to gel. Four of the 5 guys we had last year played together for quite a while. Two new guards and Austin Howard - could be a disaster of epic proportions, especially considering Garrard is so injury prone and Sanchez is so turnover prone. The offense might actually get worse before it gets better.

Kevin Kolb is available at QB. Jets should get him ASAP.
    Sanchez stinks. Tebow doesn't belong at QB. Garrard played when? McElroy - no. Simms - LOL.

Kolb is what's called an upgrade. That's what is needed. None of the others has any future. He has a 70 QB rating for his carrer. Last year 86.
    Sanchez last year was a 67 BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Kevin Kolb is available at QB. Jets should get him ASAP.
    Sanchez stinks. Tebow doesn't belong at QB. Garrard played when? McElroy - no. Simms - LOL.

Kolb is what's called an upgrade. That's what is needed. None of the others has any future. He has a 70 QB rating for his carrer. Last year 86.
    Sanchez last year was a 67 BTW.
    QBR is the dumbest stat ever. Kolb sucks you guys are in for a rude awakening and are still living in 2010.

Really? Cuz I don't thin K.C was all that bad of a team last year and they only won two. I could without a doubt see us as a two win team next year. It would suck to sit through. Can't help but think however it could be the best thing to happen to us right abot now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Really? Cuz I don't thin K.C was all that bad of a team last year and they only won two. I could without a doubt see us as a two win team next year. It would suck to sit through. Can't help but think however it could be the best thing to happen to us right abot now.
    KC went 2-14 last season because they didn't have a professional QB on their roster. Sanchez and Garrard are both significantly better than Cassell/Quinn.

Let's see what Idzik does the next 5 months in FA and the draft. So far I like what I've seen not making any dumb signings and getting a good, cheap starting RB like Goodson.