Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warming up on Geno...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typical... Now it starts to sound like other teams actually want Geno in the top 10 so some Jets fans now want the player because it looks like they can't get him.

I still maintain that EJ Manuel has the most upside of the QB's. He has the best chance imo at being a good NFL QB. Nassib being 2nd and an outside shot at Glennon. Don't see much of a chance with Geno. His best case upside is becoming middle of the road.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Nope. He seems (at best) to be an OK QB in the league. I would rather take a sure thing at 9 and use the 2-4th round picks to find a diamond in the rough.

2010 Draft: Bradford and Tebow went in the 1st. Colt McCoy - who was servicable went in the 3rd.

2011 Draft: Kapernack - 2nd rounder in 2011 v. Jake Locker (#8 pick) v. Ponder (11th Pick) Who would you rather have? Heck, Dalton (2nd rounder) is probably better than Locker or Ponder. People like Mallet and he was a 3rd.

2012 Draft: Luck and Griffin were no brainers. Smith is not. Russell Wilson was a 3. Foles was a 3.

At 9, we can get a stud Tackle, a stud DE, the best WR in the draft, or a top LB. All of them should be potential pro bowlers.

Risking sure fire talent for Smith is Stupid IMHO. Reaching for QB's early is how guys like Sanchize happen. (If he falls, he might be worth trading up into the late first/early 2nd to get).

Smith is ranked 24th overall by ESPN. Guys with big numbers in the spread offense often bomb in the NFL.

Most of these guys will be available in the 2nd and some later. Many of them have as much, if not more, potential than Smith.

Tyler Wilson QB 6'2⅛" 215 Arkansas 88 2 35
    Matt Barkley QB 6'2" 227 USC 87 3 36
    Ryan Nassib QB 6'2⅛" 227 Syracuse 85 4 42
    Landry Jones QB 6'4⅛" 225 Oklahoma 84 5 51
    EJ Manuel QB 6'4⅝" 237 Florida State 81 6 66
    Mike Glennon QB 6'7⅛" 225 North Carolina State 80 7 68
    Tyler Bray QB 6'6⅛" 232 Tennessee 78 8 79

Hindsight is 20/20

Hell, just because guys like Montana and Brady went later in the draft doesn't mean we should bank on finding a franchise QB in the later rounds.

By taking one of the 1st round prospects, you increase your odds in finding a worthwhile QB significantly.

I don't even see how that's debatable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Will he last

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I wouldn't even entertain Manuel until the 5th. I watched him play a few games this season since my old lady is a big time FSU fan and I must say he makes very bad decisions. He's got size and ok athleticism. Outside of that, I really don't see him having what it takes at the next level. He has a chance, sure. But he's not worth the risk until later in the draft IMO.
    He won't be there that late, will he.He has Franchise QB skills, but as you said, he was very inconsistant at FSU. A year or two learning on the sideline,we could have something special, maybe. Its all a crapshoot!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20

Hell, just because guys like Montana and Brady went later in the draft doesn't mean we should bank on finding a franchise QB in the later rounds.

By taking one of the 1st round prospects, you increase your odds in finding a worthwhile QB significantly.

I don't even see how that's debatable.
    While picking a guy later is no guarantee of success (McElroy and many others), reaching for a QB who doesn't deserve to be picked in the Top 10 has proven OVER AND OVER to be a bad decision.

Unless you think the guy deserves to be picked in the Top 5 (aka "A Sure Thing"), reaching for a QB because of Need is STUPID.

Smith is a Mid-20s player. If the Jets end up with a pick in that area, they should consider picking him. If he falls to the 2nd round, he should be picked.

The key to the draft is NOT TO REACH. You must pick sure things when they are available (at any position). Top 10 picks are incredibly valuable. A reach at 9 for Smith could cripple the team for years - see Mark Sanchez.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If he's there, I think you have to take him.

Is he some kind of super elite prospect like Luck or RG3?

No, but those guys come around maybe once in a decade and you better have the #1 overall pick if you want to obtain them.

We would be in no rush to start Geno either. Let him hold the clipboard behind Sanchez and Garrard for a year then hand him the reigns in 2014.
    Cam Newton went the year before RG3 and Luck. So maybe they aren't as rare as people think.
    Last edited by Greensleeves; 03-15-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Is anyone else warming up to taking Geno Smith at #9 if he's available? After his pro day and reviewing his 2012 stats I'm getting Geno-itis. Athletic, good arm, good attitude... I wouldn't be upset with that pick at all.
    NOT at 9.

NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Fing way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I doubt he is there at 9 but if he is, its a no brainer. you take him.
    No Brainer?

Couple things I think should be noted.

1. Pro Day is as meaningless an event for a QB as possible. Anyone who has a month to prepare, scripted throws, with no defense, that they get to practice 100 times should look great.

2. Geno struggled very badly in the snow against syracuse...we have an open air stadium in the northeast.

3. People talk about barkley's weapons, well how about the fact that geno will have both his WRs drafted in the top 100 picks, and one probably in the top 25?

4. He is not overly accurate by any means.

Nassib in the second round is a much better risk/reward then Geno at 9, when we will most likely have 2 outstanding OLB/pass rushing prospects available to pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    While picking a guy later is no guarantee of success (McElroy and many others), reaching for a QB who doesn't deserve to be picked in the Top 10 has proven OVER AND OVER to be a bad decision.

Unless you think the guy deserves to be picked in the Top 5 (aka "A Sure Thing"), reaching for a QB because of Need is STUPID.

Smith is a Mid-20s player. If the Jets end up with a pick in that area, they should consider picking him. If he falls to the 2nd round, he should be picked.

The key to the draft is NOT TO REACH. You must pick sure things when they are available (at any position). Top 10 picks are incredibly valuable. A reach at 9 for Smith could cripple the team for years - see Mark Sanchez.
    There is no correlation between the Sanchez situation and taking Geno in the Top 10.

With the rookie wage scale in place, these guys make peanuts compared to what they made 4 years ago.

When we took Sanchez at #5, we gave him a $60 million dollar contract.

If we took Geno at #9, he'd be getting something in the neighborhood of $12 million.

Taking a QB in the Top 10 doesn't cripple you for the forseeable future anymore if he doesn't pan out. You can actually cut bait after Year 1 if you deem it necessary.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Cam Newton went the year before RG3 and Luck. So maybe they aren't as rare as people think.
    Cam is a physical freak, but in between the ears, he isn't on the same planet as Luck or RG3.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No! Take Mike Glennon. I think he will still be there in the 2nd. 6'7" Big arm like Flaco.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take the guy yesterday but there is probably only a 10% chance he is there for us at #9...and that's IF we stay at #9, I could see us trading out of that spot at this rate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Once again I am dumber from reading your post.

Andy Reid has the #1 overall pick, and he chose Alex Smith and Chase Daniels over Geno

If Andy doesn't like him, and Andy knows QB's, it's good enough for me.
    Your right. the recently fired Andy Reid and his 0 super bowl wins would never make a mistake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are going to reach for Mountaineer at #9, I would prefer it be Austin over Smith.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

If Andy doesn't like him, and Andy knows QB's, it's good enough for me.
    And how is Andy's elite QB knowledge working out for him so far?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    No Brainer?

Couple things I think should be noted.

1. Pro Day is as meaningless an event for a QB as possible. Anyone who has a month to prepare, scripted throws, with no defense, that they get to practice 100 times should look great.

2. Geno struggled very badly in the snow against syracuse...we have an open air stadium in the northeast.

3. People talk about barkley's weapons, well how about the fact that geno will have both his WRs drafted in the top 100 picks, and one probably in the top 25?

4. He is not overly accurate by any means.

Nassib in the second round is a much better risk/reward then Geno at 9, when we will most likely have 2 outstanding OLB/pass rushing prospects available to pick.

Morgantown WV isn't exactly Miami Florida my man.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No to Geno, system QB with questions all over the place. E.J. Manuel is the guy I want in the second, perfect scenario with a good guy like Garrard around to learn from.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind geno but it seems like were really high on nassib in the 2nd

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    If they are going to reach for Mountaineer at #9, I would prefer it be Austin over Smith.
    Why?

If your taking a gamble, then gamble on the QB.

Not the guy that is going to touch the ball 3 or 4 times a game on average.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be very surprised if the Bills didn't pick him, and I probably wouldn't take him at 9 anyway.