Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets Sign Antonio Garay

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    What is encouraging is that of the 3 FA's we have signed so far today, 2 of them were completely out of left field, and not even mentioned by the media. Idzik flying under the radar.
    Hope this is the case with Butler as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    What is encouraging is that of the 3 FA's we have signed so far today, 2 of them were completely out of left field, and not even mentioned by the media. Idzik flying under the radar.
    This is my idea of 'looking under every rock', not what Tanny was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    He is quite a character, has a Hello-Kitty-themed-Smart-car, was a wrestling All American, bounced around a bunch, is known for outragous hair styles but a good guy from everything you read...

Solid veteran player who can help the rotation out I guess...
    +10 Wrestling All-American, tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    This is my idea of 'looking under every rock', not what Tanny was doing.
    Idzik is using a shovel and hoe to look for possibilities. Tanny used dynamite and nitro.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Pretty Sweet. I used to play hoops with his brother Cisco. Nice to see Rahway represented on the NYJ.
    We already had Colonia, do we really need Rahway?

Idzik is using a shovel and hoe to look for possibilities. Tanny used dynamite and nitro.
    Idzik = bringing in proven players like Garay and Colon who have had injury issues depreciate their value, but with the intent on using them for depth / maturity in locker room.

Tanny = bringing in guys like Andre Wadsworth, and then setting loose the PR machine to convince fans that he was "looking under rocks", but meanwhile he was passing on football players for guys that were selling cars, and trading away draft picks and/or mis-using them when he kept them.

I'm assuming this guy is part of the plan to replace Pouha, right?

So what's the comparison? Leaving health out of it, is this a downgrade, upgrade, or lateral move?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Idzik = bringing in proven players like Garay and Colon who have had injury issues depreciate their value, but with the intent on using them for depth / maturity in locker room.

Tanny = bringing in guys like Andre Wadsworth, and then setting loose the PR machine to convince fans that he was "looking under rocks", but meanwhile he was passing on football players for guys that were selling cars, and trading away draft picks and/or mis-using them when he kept them.
    Not a Tannenbaum fan but he brought in Faneca, Woody, Landry, former pro bowl players. Not sure about this signing, Garay is 33. Would rather have kept Pouha

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Not a Tannenbaum fan but he brought in Faneca, Woody, Landry, former pro bowl players. Not sure about this signing, Garay is 33. Would rather have kept Pouha
    Garay is younger than Pouha, who is 34.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post

Yeah but Tanny drafted Vlad.

All League
    Schefter confirms.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Former Chargers DT Antonio Garay agreed to a one-year deal with NY Jets.
    This tells me he is a stop gap measure rather than a long term solution.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Garay is younger than Pouha, who is 34.
    We drafted Pouha though and he's proven himself. Different than bringing in an older free agent.

We drafted Pouha though and he's proven himself. Different than bringing in an older free agent.
    I guess we'll have to see what Pouha signs for before we know if this was worth it or not . . .

Veteran
    This board is so freaking schizo. Can't you just enjoy an off season without A) bashing the previous GM/coach/players, and B) not jumping to extreme conclusions one way or another?

Garay was kind of run out of town in SD for not being able to stay on the field and having his desire to do so questioned. But when he did play, he could be a beast...

Losing DeVito and Pouha, the Jets also lost veteran leadership. Garay is a solid player, big locker room guy in SD, also brings more pass rushing abilty than DeVito did.

All Pro
    Depends on the money that this cat got for 1 yr. I am hoping it's somewhat less than what we saved by cutting Pouha
    Last edited by Tinstar; 03-15-2013 at 08:29 PM.

True, would have liked to keep Pouha, but I'm going to assume that Garay is much cheaper. Keeping Rex, to me, means that we have a guy that can turn average talent into an top 5 defense. He already has very good talent for 1/3 of the defense with Coples/Wilkerson/Cro/Harris. Now its rex's job to develop a few guys like Garay/Ellis/Harrison/Demario/wilson/bush/allen/mcintyre/LB draft pick/sapp and we really should be fine on defense. If he can't turn that group of talent into a very good unit then what's the point of having Rex around? (rhetorical question)

The concern, for me, will always be the offense/who plays QB. At least this year we should have 3/4 options heading into camp (sanchez/Garard/Kolb?/rookie which is FAR better than Sanchez/Tebow/Mcelroy)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Depends on the money that this cat got for 1 yr.
    Just a guess but probably in the Colon area-$1.2-1.5M. $2M max

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I guess we'll have to see what Pouha signs for before we know if this was worth it or not . . .
    Pouha is also coming off of a back injury. The Jets could have tried to re-sign him, I wonder if health is an issue.

Can never have too many BC boys on your team. Good signing