Thread: Jets Interested in Dawan Landry - Mehta

Jets Interested in Dawan Landry - Mehta

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/statu...75775386091522

Not a bad potential replacement, I'm liking Idzik's strategy so far.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, if I missed it then dump it.

Was kind of hoping we stuck with Bush and drafted a guy to play the other side. Robert Lester in the 4th would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Was kind of hoping we stuck with Bush and drafted a guy to play the other side. Robert Lester in the 4th would be nice.
    Bush and Allen will probably rotate in the FS spot next season, not sure how good Bush can be but I liked what I saw from Allen in the snaps he played. Wouldn't mind a safety in the mid rounds either, is Lester a cover safety?

Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    Bush and Allen will probably rotate in the FS spot next season, not sure how good Bush can be but I liked what I saw from Allen in the snaps he played. Wouldn't mind a safety in the mid rounds either, is Lester a cover safety?
    STRENGTHS: Possesses a long, lean build well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL. Reads the quarterback's eyes and is a smooth accelerator, showing a burst to close on underneath routes. Times his leaps well in jump-ball situations and extends his arms to make a play at its highest point. Excellent ball skills, including the ability to track the ball over his shoulder, extend to catch away from his frame and the ability to sneak his hands under the ball to corral pass deflections.

Athletic enough to occasionally drop down to cover slot receivers. Has the long arms to re-route receivers and is balanced enough to cover short distances. Reads run quickly and flashes aggression to support. Long, strong arms for the pull-down tackle and occasionally will lower his shoulder for the big hit. Highly respected by coaching staff for his work ethic.

WEAKNESSES: A bit of a 'tweener. May lack the athleticism for deep coverage and the physicality necessary to play well closer to the line of scrimmage. Does not possess ideal hip fluidity and foot quickness to operate as a true centerfielder against an NFL passing attack. Loses a step as he changes directions and does not have great speed to recover.

Does too much grabbing and dragging as an open-field tackler, and when he does attempt to lower the boom has a tendency to duck his head and lunge. Takes questionable angles to the ball, underestimating the speed of ball-carriers and not proving to be a reliable last line of defense.

COMPARES TO: Kerry Rhodes, FS, Arizona Cardinals: Like the 6-3, 212-pound Rhodes, Lester has the size, closing speed and ball skills to develop into a dependable ball-hawk at the next level.

Idzik is doing exactly what I wanted so far.Cut the dead horse type guys who were long in the tooth.Now he is signing low salary/high upside guys like Colon/Goodson and maybe Landry.He is gona draft hopefully good and restore this team back to contender in a year or 2.This is the right way to do things.Redskins finally quit signing free agents and that payed off.Listen signing free agents is not bad...but you gota sign smart cheap deals with upside and that is how Idzik is operating.We got ourselves finally.....finally...a smart gm.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    Not a fan of Lester, soft and does not always gets in on tackles... not what you want from your safety... overrated in coverage aswell...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Not a fan of Lester, soft and does not always gets in on tackles... not what you want from your safety... overrated in coverage aswell...
    This

Allen is not a FS at all. Spur-type SS. Blitzer, run-support.

Keep an eye on TJ McDonald in the draft. He was highly rated before the season, but had a bit of a down year (as did many at USC). TJ's dad, Tim McDonald, is the new Jets secondary coach.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    So the Rhodes comparison is well deserved.

Lester is not a 4th round pick in this draft, there are simply too many good safeties out there and he isnt one of them.

Personally if we get a first round pick for Revis and can use that (late in the first) to get a QB like Nassib, Id be all for using our 2nd round pick on Jonathan Cyprien. Guy is fast, will be a center-field type safety but can also hit and has excellent leadership qualities, which we desperately need.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Allen is not a FS at all. Spur-type SS. Blitzer, run-support.
    WOW

I was wondering when someone would make this observation.

The Jets need a veteran SS to play alongside Josh Bush at FS. I think the elder Landry would be perfect, but i am not so sure he's a SS.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 03-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

The Jets need a veteran SS to play alongside Josh Bush at FS.
    A certain 5'8 former Jet is an FA and Tom Zbikowski (former Raven) was released yesterday.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    A certain 5'8 former Jet is an FA and Tom Zbikowski (former Raven) was released yesterday.
    Neither fit what I am looking for. I really wanna get Robert Sands from the Bengals. I like his size and abilities as a backup at both safety spots. I think a combo of Dawan Landry, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen and Robert Sands could be the safeties here for the next 2 to 5 yrs.