Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Holding onto our draft picks and possibly acquiring more...what a concept....

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post


    I'd say the shambles of a team he left us with disprove your mystifying statement.

    The verdict is in: He was awful.
    Define shambles?

    You do realize ALL teams go through roster changes such as the one the Jets are going through, don't you? The Patriots did it a couple of years ago, they just happened to have a HOF QB during the transition

    Typical fans that don't think past what the media tells them.

  2. #22
    The only real, noticeable, difference right now between old and new isn't player movements. This board basically projected every cut. The signings are all depth players (which Tanny did) is the press.

    The media doesn't seem to know what's going on and that's refreshing.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Extending players like Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, and Holmes made complete sense at the time, the Jets needed to extend one of the WR's, Edwards, Cotchery, and Holmes, Holmes being the youngest and healthiest at the time, was the right move. What wasn't anticipated was the 2011 season, and then last year's injury.
    Holmes ???? Really ... even when this trade was made I knew that it would end this way. I am so sick of the Me first Divas. Not say players should not get paid ... just saying that they don't need to act that way. Revis I actually don't mind that much in this regard. The dude is one of the best defense players in the NFL, but he really doesn't come off as pompous to me ... most of the time. SantonMEo cant get out of here soon enough IMHO.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanfromthestart View Post
    How many teams can say they went to the championship game 2 out of the last 4 years. When you go for it and don't get it you pay the price. Look at the Ravens now and the last time they won the SB.
    + 1,000,000 /end thread.

    Funy how some of the SOJFs are here bashing Woody, Tanny, Sanchez, etc. in almost every post; yet, are heaping praise on Miami, Seattle, etc. Teams who were absolute dog poop the past few years, in Miami's case the past decade-plus. And yes, Seattle. Not saying Wilson is not going to be good. Time will tell. However, he did not get it done vs. a very beatable Atlanta team. Just saying......for all the Sanchez haters.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    And as much as people hate to admit it, the Sanchez trade was a steal as well.

    Not liking the player is different from the terms of the trade. For the most part Tanny never got fleeced like the Jets did for Dwayne Robertson. I didn't like that trade from the outset and wish I hadn't been so right. But for the most part I didn't mind Tanny's trades (and actually liked quite a few of them). Just because they didn't pan out the way we wanted doesn't mean they weren't a good idea at the time . . .
    The Sanchez Trade was awful. His play on the fiels has proven exactly what i thought of him coming out of USC. The Trade up for Dustin Keller was just as Awful. His play proved why you don't draft 1 dimentional players in the 1st round.
    Gholston
    Ducasse
    Connor

    All these are a direct result of Rex Ryan being in the ear of Tanny instead of the GM listening to his scouts. After this draft, we will see if it's much more of the same. All the moves made by the New GM are moves Tanny would have made.

    The Draft will tell the tale.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    All these are a direct result of Rex Ryan being in the ear of Tanny instead of the GM listening to his scouts. After this draft, we will see if it's much more of the same. All the moves made by the New GM are moves Tanny would have made.

    The Draft will tell the tale.
    After Tanny's last couple of off-seasons, I'm not so convinced of that.

    However, I do agree that the draft will give us alot more insight.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Sanchez Trade was awful. His play on the fiels has proven exactly what i thought of him coming out of USC. The Trade up for Dustin Keller was just as Awful. His play proved why you don't draft 1 dimentional players in the 1st round.
    Gholston
    Ducasse
    Connor

    All these are a direct result of Rex Ryan being in the ear of Tanny instead of the GM listening to his scouts. After this draft, we will see if it's much more of the same. All the moves made by the New GM are moves Tanny would have made.

    The Draft will tell the tale.
    I believe, I can't speak for OCCH, he said the trade terms itself was a good trade..They basically gave up a 2nd since the 3 players they gave Cleveland were garbage (the GREAT Brett Ratliff LOL)...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I believe, I can't speak for OCCH, he said the trade terms itself was a good trade..They basically gave up a 2nd since the 3 players they gave Cleveland were garbage (the GREAT Brett Ratliff LOL)...
    Yes, and thank you.

    It's sad that people can't see beyond their hatred of a player (no matter how well deserved) to objectively look back on the past.

    If we had used that #5 pick to take Raji, Crabtree, Orakpo, or Cushing (all players that were gone by our #17 pick) we wouldn't be complaining what a bad trade it was.

    Again, hindsight might tell you it was a bad choice, but that doesn't mean the trade itself was a bad one.

    Let's put it this way -- if Idzik has the ability to trade up for pennies on the dollar (which is what the Sanchez trade was), should he not do it simply because it was a "bad trade" 4 years ago? Maybe you do feel that way -- personally I don't want such restrictions placed on the man who's responsible for making this team the best it can be, regardless of how he does it . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 03-16-2013 at 10:42 AM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Yes, and thank you.

    It's sad that people can't see beyond their hatred of a player (no matter how well deserved) to objectively look back on the past.

    If we had used that #5 pick to take Raji, Crabtree, Orakpo, or Cushing (all players that were gone by our #17 pick) we wouldn't be complaining what a bad trade it was.

    Again, hindsight might tell you it was a bad choice, but that doesn't mean the trade itself was a bad one.

    Let's put it this way -- if Idzik has the ability to trade up for pennies on the dollar (which is what the Sanchez trade was), should he not do it simply because it was a "bad trade" 4 years ago? Maybe you do feel that way -- personally I don't want such restrictions placed on the man who's responsible for making this team the best it can be, regardless of how he does it . . .
    Me? Heck no!

  10. #30
    The sanchez trade up was one of the best trades in a long time. The player was garbage however but the price to move up was an outright steal.

    As for tanny vs idzik. I do not at all believe things would be the same if tanny was still here. He would have cut the obvious suspects but he also would have resigned keller and Landry for big dollars perhaps Bell and Devito as well. There would also be no trade talk at all regarding revis, no matter what woody says.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Yes, and thank you.

    It's sad that people can't see beyond their hatred of a player (no matter how well deserved) to objectively look back on the past.

    If we had used that #5 pick to take Raji, Crabtree, Orakpo, or Cushing (all players that were gone by our #17 pick) we wouldn't be complaining what a bad trade it was.

    Again, hindsight might tell you it was a bad choice, but that doesn't mean the trade itself was a bad one.

    Let's put it this way -- if Idzik has the ability to trade up for pennies on the dollar (which is what the Sanchez trade was), should he not do it simply because it was a "bad trade" 4 years ago? Maybe you do feel that way -- personally I don't want such restrictions placed on the man who's responsible for making this team the best it can be, regardless of how he does it . . .
    It was a bad trade. If Mark Sanchez was the only QB that had impress the Jets scouts in that draft i might would have agree that the trade was good, but he wasn't. We gave away our 2nd round pick because we fell in ove with a player at his proday. He was short with questionable arm strength, didn't have adequate game experience and his game wasn't compatable with the North East conditions.

    The way i am understanding your position is the payment was worth the investment. The problem i have and always had was the Investment wasn't worth the payment.

    It was a dumb stupid trade.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The sanchez trade up was one of the best trades in a long time. The player was garbage however but the price to move up was an outright steal.

    As for tanny vs idzik. I do not at all believe things would be the same if tanny was still here. He would have cut the obvious suspects but he also would have resigned keller and Landry for big dollars perhaps Bell and Devito as well. There would also be no trade talk at all regarding revis, no matter what woody says.
    You can't say that..Based on past moves they usually resigned those upcoming FAs well before they hit the market (D'brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis). They also made DeVito take a pay cut last season..Is that a move that you make to someone you'll then extend for "big" bucks?


    The New York Jets have restructured defensive end Mike DeVito's contract, reducing the veteran player's salary this season after the team drafted Quinton Coples in the first round last month.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Me? Heck no!
    Sorry -- forgot who I was responding to!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It was a bad trade. If Mark Sanchez was the only QB that had impress the Jets scouts in that draft i might would have agree that the trade was good, but he wasn't. We gave away our 2nd round pick because we fell in ove with a player at his proday. He was short with questionable arm strength, didn't have adequate game experience and his game wasn't compatable with the North East conditions.

    The way i am understanding your position is the payment was worth the investment. The problem i have and always had was the Investment wasn't worth the payment.

    It was a dumb stupid trade.
    We'll agree to disagree. Like I said above, if Idzik gets the chance to move up 12 spots in the draft for peanuts, I hope he takes it. If he ends up making a bad choice so be it, but offers like that don't come along every day and Tanny deserves credit for making it happen, just as he deserves blame for the player chosen . . .

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Sorry -- forgot who I was responding to!



    We'll agree to disagree. Like I said above, if Idzik gets the chance to move up 12 spots in the draft for peanuts, I hope he takes it. If he ends up making a bad choice so be it, but offers like that don't come along every day and Tanny deserves credit for making it happen, just as he deserves blame for the player chosen . . .
    So do i, but it will and should always depend on the target. Otherwise, you're just making a trade because it doesn't cost you what it should.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    So do i, but it will and should always depend on the target. Otherwise, you're just making a trade because it doesn't cost you what it should.
    Exactly right.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,728
    Tanny made some good moves at first, but in the end he sold himself to the devil and now we have to pay. Some of his decisions over the past few seasons have been bad- particularly his handling of Revis and Sanchez contracts, which both have us backed into the corner. I also think that while some of the trades he made were good ones, he still put us in a poor position with a shortage of draft picks. As for our cap situation, it isn't great, but its not as bad as the media would have us believe.

    With careful management I think it is possible for us to field a competetive team. I am encouraged so far by Idzik's moves, but it is still very early and too soon to tell if he will be a good GM. I like the idea that he wants to build through the draft and I am looking forward to seeing how he handles the draft. We'll have a better idea of who Idzik is after the draft, but even then we won't be sure and will need a few years to see how well he does.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 03-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Tanny made some good moves at first, but in the end he sold himself to the devil and now we have to pay. Some of his decisions over the past few seasons have been bad- particularly his handling of Revis and Sanchez contracts, which both have us backed into the corner. I also think that while some of the trades he made were good ones, he still put us in a poor position with a shortage of draft picks. As for our cap situation, it isn't great, but its not as bad as the media would have us believe.

    With careful management I think it is possible for us to field a competetive team. I am encouraged so far by Idzik's moves, but it is still very early and too soon to tell if he will be a good GM. I like the idea that he wants to build through the draft and I am looking forward to seeing how he handles the draft. We'll have a better idea of who Idzik is after the draft, but even then we won't be sure and will need a few years to see how well he does.
    For me Tannys mistakes came in the fact that he tried to repair the O-line on the cheap ( did nt learn from the past ) and not having quality deapth at WR.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    You can tell Trader Mike is gone. 1 week into free agency and the Jets haven't made any headline grabbing moves. Just a few modest signings.

    Even more importantly, the Jets are actually holding onto their draft picks and could possibly acquire more if the Revis trade comes to fruition at some point. I also believe the Jets will be in line for some compensatory draft picks with all of the free agent losses we have had.

    This is not flashy but this is the way to build a team for long term success - no more mortgaging the future.

    John Idzik is doing his job, we just have to grin and bare it for now.
    I agree, for right now this is the way to go. My only worry is about the short term product at this point. I think Jets fans, after the the last two seasons, DESERVE a better product than what they've gotten.

    What I would really love to come out of this season is for them to sneak into the playoffs by playing really great defense and a good solid running game. To me, especially in the age of FA, that should be doable in one offseason.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    For me Tannys mistakes came in the fact that he tried to repair the O-line on the cheap ( did nt learn from the past ) and not having quality deapth at WR.
    The problem with Our WRs is Holmes got hurt, and Mark Sanchez sucks. Kerley has developed nicely, and Hiill was a 1st yr pro who nobody in the league could keep from getting open. He made 1st yr pro mistakes, but his upside is awesome. We need to draft a WR this yr or develop 1 this year to replace Holmes and we will be fine at WR.

    My choice is Chris Harper.

    2014 WR rotation:
    FL: Harper
    SE: Hill
    SL : Kerley or Pollard or White

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree, for right now this is the way to go. My only worry is about the short term product at this point. I think Jets fans, after the the last two seasons, DESERVE a better product than what they've gotten.

    What I would really love to come out of this season is for them to sneak into the playoffs by playing really great defense and a good solid running game. To me, especially in the age of FA, that should be doable in one offseason.
    I think sneaking into the playoffs would SUCK for the future of this team. I think that we need a 2-14 season ... but one that shows promise from many young players.

    Then we finish reloading in the 2014 draft.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us