Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding onto our draft picks and possibly acquiring more...what a concept....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Holding onto our draft picks and possibly acquiring more...what a concept....

You can tell Trader Mike is gone. 1 week into free agency and the Jets haven't made any headline grabbing moves. Just a few modest signings.

Even more importantly, the Jets are actually holding onto their draft picks and could possibly acquire more if the Revis trade comes to fruition at some point. I also believe the Jets will be in line for some compensatory draft picks with all of the free agent losses we have had.

This is not flashy but this is the way to build a team for long term success - no more mortgaging the future.

John Idzik is doing his job, we just have to grin and bare it for now.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-15-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What big FA have the Jets signed the first week of FA the past few seasons besides Bart Scott?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What big FA have the Jets signed the first week of FA the past few seasons besides Bart Scott?
    I said headline grabbing moves which also encompasses trades and contract extensions.

Not very good at reading comprehension are you?

Always the argumentative one....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-15-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    They had to sell PSL's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I said headline grabbing moves which also encompasses trades.

It was a question. And we are 1 week into The new NFL year. What trades did the Jets make 1 week in?

Apologize for stating facts.

Me? LOL!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Apologize for stating facts.
    You can't help it, you are just being your normal obnoxious, condascending self.

I'm used to it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't help it, you are just being your normal obnoxious, condascending self.

I'm used to it.
    Thank you! And you are just being your normal misinformed self. I'm used to it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

AMEN!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! And you are just being your normal misinformed self. I'm used to it.
    There is no misinformation in the post that started this thread - other than your interpretation of it.

You chose to ignore the main point of the thread (which was the obvious contrast in management style between Tannenbaum and Idzik) and knitpick one little aspect of it that you didn't agree with - which again, is typical of you.

Next time if you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, do us all a favor and keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    None..,Mt was too busy signing/extending our own guys to horrible contracts that not a team In league would even come close to matching..,Sanchez, Holmes, hunter, Harris, ect..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    None..,Mt was too busy signing/extending our own guys to horrible contracts that not a team In league would even come close to matching..,Sanchez, Holmes, hunter, Harris, ect..
    Or trading away draft picks....something I am fairly certain we will never see Idzik do.

I think Idzik will prove to be the type of GM that makes moves to acquire draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do some trading down in the draft either.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-15-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can tell Trader Mike is gone. 1 week into free agency and the Jets haven't made any headline grabbing moves. Just a few modest signings.

Even more importantly, the Jets are actually holding onto their draft picks and could possibly acquire more if the Revis trade comes to fruition at some point. I also believe the Jets will be in line for some compensatory draft picks with all of the free agent losses we have had.

This is not flashy but this is the way to build a team for long term success - no more mortgaging the future.

Or trading away draft picks....something I am fairly certain we will never see Idzik do.
    Ironically, the Jets traded multiple draft picks to move up and select Revis.

It doesn't have to be all black & white. Rarely does either strategy work well, in any pursuit. Hopefully Idzik will be able to find some happy balance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said headline grabbing moves which also encompasses trades and contract extensions.

The whole "headline grabbing moves" is just another in long line of media spin that fans allow themselves to be brainwashed with.

There was nothing wrong with Tannenbaum's approach, he made moves in an aggressive fashion, teams do so when they feel they have a roster that is close to competing for championship.

It's so funny how some fans are overplaying the "new guy" love affair routine.

I liked the Idzik hire, I think he will stabilize the front office, but he isn't doing anything that Tannenbaum would not have done at this stage with the team, it's obvious the team went for it in 09 and 10, and now they are retooling the roster. It's why Tannenbaum didn't do anything with the draft picks for this year before he was let go.

Idzik may not ever be as aggressive, and will put a greater emphasis on the draft, but let's see how this plays out in the next couple of years before we back that bus up too hard on Tannenbaum.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Extending players like Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, and Holmes made complete sense at the time, the Jets needed to extend one of the WR's, Edwards, Cotchery, and Holmes, Holmes being the youngest and healthiest at the time, was the right move. What wasn't anticipated was the 2011 season, and then last year's injury.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

How many teams

How many teams can say they went to the championship game 2 out of the last 4 years. When you go for it and don't get it you pay the price. Look at the Ravens now and the last time they won the SB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

There was nothing wrong with Tannenbaum's approach...

I'd say the shambles of a team he left us with disprove your mystifying statement.

The verdict is in: He was awful.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I liked the Idzik hire, I think he will stabilize the front office, but he isn't doing anything that Tannenbaum would not have done at this stage with the team, it's obvious the team went for it in 09 and 10, and now they are retooling the roster. It's why Tannenbaum didn't do anything with the draft picks for this year before he was let go.

Idzik may not ever be as aggressive, and will put a greater emphasis on the draft, but let's see how this plays out in the next couple of years before we back that bus up too hard on Tannenbaum.
    Idzik seems to be more conservative all the way around and it feels like he is much more intent on building through the draft.

Tannenbaum was never been a big proponent of building through the draft which we were constantly reminded of by him trading draft picks away - either for other teams unwanted players or to move up in the draft.

Idzik is keeping a low profile and not letting himself or the front office be bullied by the media and rather then feed the media by trying to respond to their jabs - like Tanny always did, he just ignores them and lets them flounder.

And I love Rex Ryan so don't misunderstand this but when is the last time you saw or heard Rex in the news?

I also think Idzik has a hand in his new found silence as well, again light years away from Tannenbaum.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post

I'd say the shambles of a team he left us with disprove your mystifying statement.

The verdict is in: He was awful.
    Approx $15M+ in cap room with basic Cap Mgmnt 101 moves. The Jets haven't signed a "big splash FA" since Bart Scott but people seem to have short memories. Also Jets reportedly scheduled to have $30M+ in available cap space in '14 IIRC. How is that in "shambles"?

Bell, Landry,Schillens were all 1yr deals. What has happened this week is nothing new..

And yes, Idzik has yet to trade away any draft picks, he's only been permitted to do so since Tuesday, congrats!

People knock the trading away picks, yes for Tebow it was stupid (Rex was in on the trade too), but people never mention the picks used for Edwards (3rd & 5th plus garbage players), Cro (2nd round), Holmes (5th)..Bad trades? And yes, Rex was also in on those moves..

Not knocking Idzik, like his hire alot, but everyone is in the "new guy" is great mode.

And as for the silence...It could be at the direction of Woody and/or Idzik...

As I have mentioned, and others have said, Tanny changed who he was / did things when Rex came aboard. He did things the Parcells way (Mangini too)..tight lipped / buttoned up..But that changed when Rex came aboard. Not Rex's fault, that's on Tanny for allowing it.

However, don't discount that is what Woody was looking for / wanted...He needed back pages to sell PSLs and make his brand visible...Now after 2 brutal seasons perhaps Woody has realized how much damage being "all open" can be.

And Tanny has always said he believes in quality vs quantity in regards to the draft..We'll see what Idzik's philosophy is. I think it's safe to say and is mentioned all the time that if you get 3-4 players out a draft it's a good draft..

People point to Pitts as having great drafts..Look at their 2008 draft. Perhaps overall the 2008 draft was just bad!

@EdBouchette: End of an error, the #Steelers 2008 draft class. Busts galore early, disappointment all around. The gruesome tale: http://t.co/onK3xpbQFq

Their 2009 Draft isn't great either:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...burgh-steelers
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's also not much expectation for 2013. We felt we were close to a super bowl team a few years ago so at the time it seemed like a good idea to squeeze out a couple more good players even if the future expense was high. If we had won a super bowl in the '09 or '10 season Tanny would have looked brilliant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Approx $15M+ in cap room with basic Cap Mgmnt 101 moves. The Jets haven't signed a "big splash FA" since Bart Scott but people seem to have short memories. Also Jets reportedly scheduled to have $30M+ in available cap space in '14 IIRC. How is that in "shambles"?

Bell, Landry,Schillens were all 1yr deals. What has happened this week is nothing new..

And yes, Idzik has yet to trade away any draft picks, he's only been permitted to do so since Tuesday, congrats!

People knock the trading away picks, yes for Tebow it was stupid (Rex was in on the trade too), but people never mention the picks used for Edwards (3rd & 5th plus garbage players), Cro (2nd round), Holmes (5th)..Bad trades? And yes, Rex was also in on those moves..

Not knocking Idzik, like his hire alot, but everyone is in the "new guy" is great mode.
    And as much as people hate to admit it, the Sanchez trade was a steal as well.

Not liking the player is different from the terms of the trade. For the most part Tanny never got fleeced like the Jets did for Dwayne Robertson. I didn't like that trade from the outset and wish I hadn't been so right. But for the most part I didn't mind Tanny's trades (and actually liked quite a few of them). Just because they didn't pan out the way we wanted doesn't mean they weren't a good idea at the time . . .