Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Idzik era

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The Idzik era

With little fanfare today, the Jets signed three bargain "risks" with high upside if they pan out.

None of these signings are winning us a Super Bowl obviously but they're all smart moves and hopefully a sign of what's to come with Idzik as GM.

Mike Goodson has always been in crowded backfields in Carolina and Oakland but he's young at only 25 and has looked impressive when he's been given the rock. If he can manage to not fumble, he could be a steal.

Antonio Garay is a good depth singing, big guy in the middle who can be effective at NT in a rotation.

Willie Colon addresses the OL that was so dismal last year. Again, he has injury concerns but is good if healthy.

Even Garrard wasn't a bad move of the options available to be a competitor for Sanchez.

There has been a lot of complaining about this team. They've lost a lot. Big names on defense, Keller, etc. But let's be real - Idzik is making something out of the nothing we have to work with.

We'll see what happens with Revis but I already like that we're not hearing massive rumors leak daily as was always the case with Tannenbaum.

We may be bad this year but I think Idzik seems savvy so far and the type that will work to build a team (like he was part of in Seattle), rather than just hemorrhage picks for a big name or sign foolish extensions.

I like the way Idzik is operating and even if next year might be painful the initial signs are pointing positive that we may have the right type of guy to turn this mess around - who's with me?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goodson is the best signing we've made in a long time.

Kid has bigtime potential an is absolutely perfect for what we want to do on offense. Very, very similar to LeSean McCoy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    With little fanfare today, the Jets signed three bargain "risks" with high upside if they pan out.

None of these signings are winning us a Super Bowl obviously but they're all smart moves and hopefully a sign of what's to come with Idzik as GM.

Mike Goodson has always been in crowded backfields in Carolina and Oakland but he's young at only 25 and has looked impressive when he's been given the rock. If he can manage to not fumble, he could be a steal.

Antonio Garay is a good depth singing, big guy in the middle who can be effective at NT in a rotation.

Willie Colon addresses the OL that was so dismal last year. Again, he has injury concerns but is good if healthy.

Even Garrard wasn't a bad move of the options available to be a competitor for Sanchez.

There has been a lot of complaining about this team. They've lost a lot. Big names on defense, Keller, etc. But let's be real - Idzik is making something out of the nothing we have to work with.

We'll see what happens with Revis but I already like that we're not hearing massive rumors leak daily as was always the case with Tannenbaum.

We may be bad this year but I think Idzik seems savvy so far and the type that will work to build a team (like he was part of in Seattle), rather than just hemorrhage picks for a big name or sign foolish extensions.

I like the way Idzik is operating and even if next year might be painful the initial signs are pointing positive that we may have the right type of guy to turn this mess around - who's with me?
    Agree, count me in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the bottom line is you have to take the conservative approach and don't go big money spending when you don't have it and quite honestly there ain't chitt out there to spend money on

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's excellent what he's doing. This was a team that everyone was saying would have a hard time getting a good GM due to the huge mess our personnel and cap situation appeared to be in. No big contracts, flashy signings that got us in the mess we are in now. From the moves Idzik has made, I'm feeling more confident that this mess can be turned around relatively quickly with minor growing pains.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    the bottom line is you have to take the conservative approach and don't go big money spending when you don't have it and quite honestly there ain't chitt out there to spend money on
    exactly... Tannenbaum would've probably gone with one, headline grabbing signing, and ignored the other 20 holes on the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Goodson signing, I think, will look like a genius move in two years.

He's a talented player who has always been stuck behind 1st round picks on the depth chart. No such problem here lol.

He's perfect for the MM offense and I expect big plays and a big year from him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was not happy when Idzik was hired. But, up to now i have been pleasantly surprised.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post

Agreed. I hope he drafts well.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yep, and the draft is very key. His vision is to build the team through the draft, which is how the best teams are built. So, he better be good at drafting talent

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats where he is going to earn his money, thus far he has done a good job. Lets be honest though, a lot of the moves were pretty obvious to make, and were all speculated around here before the end of last season. Still, I am VERY optimistic about Idzik.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Yep, and the draft is very key. His vision is to build the team through the draft, which is how the best teams are built. So, he better be good at drafting talent
    the key is listening to the scouting department and not relying on the head coach's opinion.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I was not happy when Idzik was hired. But, up to now i have been pleasantly surprised.
    agreed

my only real concern is... who is going to pick/evaluate our draft picks?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats where he is going to earn his money, thus far he has done a good job. Lets be honest though, a lot of the moves were pretty obvious to make, and were all speculated around here before the end of last season. Still, I am VERY optimistic about Idzik.
    I don't profess to know or care to know about FA, CAP etc....

I do care and follow the draft and feel we as a team have been average at best since 2008 . we MUST improve in the draft or we will never be a solid team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't profess to know or care to know about FA, CAP etc....

I do care and follow the draft and feel we as a team have been average at best since 2008 . we MUST improve in the draft or we will never be a solid team.
    Average? No fuking chance they're even close to average.

2008. Gholston, Keller, Lowery, Ainge, Henry, Garner.... seriously?
    2009: Sanchez, Greene, Slauson.
    2010: Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, Connor

That is piss poor by any definition.

Not only do they have the fewest picks in the entire league during this 3 year period, they missed on nearly every single one.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Not only do they have the fewest picks in the entire league during this 3 year period, they missed on nearly every single one.
    Agreed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I was being kind as I am tired of being RIPPED by this board. TRUTH is..our 2010 draft was a waste. 2012 was better. BUT trust me.. I am with you. see my sig.

BTW...average in the NFL sucks. It's 8 and 8. Thats us basically.

fairness....Coples,mMo, Kerley, McNight are decent players.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 03-15-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much impossible not to agree with you.....the jets are making rational sound decisions.....yes 2013 probably will be a tough year, but I still see this team playing hard and competing.....there is a new culture here already.....bodes well in regards to the upcoming rookies.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    agreed

my only real concern is... who is going to pick/evaluate our draft picks?
    Well I know who shouldn't be doing it. Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That is ugly.