Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Harris' contract

Undrafted Free Agent

David Harris' contract

So when's a good time to bring up this turd of a deal. Tanny left a big bag of flaming poop. $13 mil in '13? Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonLeon View Post
    So when's a good time to bring up this turd of a deal. Tanny left a big bag of flaming poop. $13 mil in '13? Yikes!

And if Tannenbaum didn't resign Harris, you all would have killed him for it.

Can't wait until the Jets need to ex-tend players like Wilkerson and Coples.

All Pro
    That's what happens when you severely back load a contract.

It's always tough to tell what's going to happen. Presumably they expected Harris to still be pretty good this year and he wasn't. If they can get through this year with his pay capital pants he's actually relatively cheap next year at only 7,000,000, especially if he comes back and plays better this season. If not I believe he's only a 2,000,000 cap hit if they cut him

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

And if Tannenbaum didn't resign Harris, you all would have killed him for it.

Can't wait until the Jets need to ex-tend players like Wilkerson and Coples.
    Lets not forget the HC blabbering how he should have gone to the Pro Bowl.

The Jets had three players selected for the Pro Bowl, but there were a couple of omissions that drew fire from coach Rex Ryan yesterday.

The one that seemed to annoy Ryan the most was inside linebacker David Harris being left off the AFC roster. Harris has five sacks and four interceptions in addition to 84 tackles.

Hes made more plays than anybody in this league, Ryan said. I told him I figured it out. We are going to get him to the Pro Bowl next year. All he has to do is play exactly how he played this year, but take a dance class this summer, do something, because I cant believe our opponents didnt vote for him to be in the Pro Bowl.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ha...imPDipidDlqgiI

I still think Harris was more banged up last yr than anyone lead on. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That's what happens when you severely back load a contract.
    The contract wasn't backloaded, it was actually a balanced contract, a small number the first year, a large number the 2nd year, last year, at 12 mil, and 13 million this year, next year, his salary drops to 7 mil

Hall Of Fame
    The contract wasn't backloaded, it was actually a balanced contract, a small number the first year, a large number the 2nd year, last year, at 12 mil, and 13 million this year, next year, his salary drops to 7 mil
    It was pretty much loaded up in the middle two years, but does leave an out in 2014 with relatively low dead money. He was dramatically over paid IMO. He is the highest paid ILB in the league, but the Jets were still in the midst of their "win now" strategy thus the reason they over paid him. His 13 million dollar cap number is a tough, tough pill to swallow right now, but like a few of the bloated contracts, the Jets can get out from under it next year.

I'd actually be asking Conner what his asking price is right now. 27 has some injury issues but when he plays looks better then Harris. If he can be had for like 2-3 mil I'd cut Harris.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is there anything more short sighted than looking at one year of a multiyear deal, where each season has a different value and whining that its too much money for that player. You would think by now that people would know how contracts are paid out.

Hall Of Fame
    One of the worst in the NFL. He will be gone after this year.

preach

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Lets not forget the HC blabbering how he should have gone to the Pro Bowl.

The Jets had three players selected for the Pro Bowl, but there were a couple of omissions that drew fire from coach Rex Ryan yesterday.

The one that seemed to annoy Ryan the most was inside linebacker David Harris being left off the AFC roster. Harris has five sacks and four interceptions in addition to 84 tackles.

“He’s made more plays than anybody in this league,” Ryan said. “I told him I figured it out. We are going to get him to the Pro Bowl next year. All he has to do is play exactly how he played this year, but take a dance class this summer, do something, because I can’t believe our opponents didn’t vote for him to be in the Pro Bowl.”

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ha...imPDipidDlqgiI

I still think Harris was more banged up last yr than anyone lead on. JMO
    This is a great point. Rex Ryan needs to SHUT UP discussing his own players!
    These agents hear that chit & instantly sense that the player is a REX PLAYER knowing Rex loyalty.
    Personally, I don't think coaches should be telling everyone HOW GREAT someone is, have you ever heard BB up in New England do that chit?
    Hell no.
    When he does compliment, which is not often, he'll say, modestly, "he's a good player". Thats it.
    As much as I wanted Joe Namath to shut up too, the one thing he said that I completely agree with was that Rex Ryan by constantly telling everyone how great his players were gave them a false sense of accomplishment.
    They all started believing the hype that they were in fact better than how they actually played.

All Pro
    If you are going to pay a guy 36 million or whatever it was, and the first year his cap number is real low, and this year and last year his cap is 12 and 13 million, that isn't balanced.

Signing a player to a deal where for 2 years he is the highest paid at his position when he isn't the best at his position is not a good contract. I was glad they re-signed him, but a contract with balloon years is not a good contract.

Veteran
    I think Harris restructures his contract today. He would need to do it by today if that's the case. Just a guess.

First of all, David Harris is still a very good player for us. He had an off year in 2012, but I'm sure he'll rebound.

What I hope for is that he'd be willing to at least restructure, if not renegotiate. He was definitely overpaid by Tanny, but even if the contract were to remain at it's original value, I wouldn't be that upset. Harris still has years of good football ahead of him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    First of all, David Harris is still a very good player for us. He had an off year in 2012, but I'm sure he'll rebound.

What I hope for is that he'd be willing to at least restructure, if not renegotiate. He was definitely overpaid by Tanny, but even if the contract were to remain at it's original value, I wouldn't be that upset. Harris still has years of good football ahead of him.
    Harris had 123 TCKLES 3.0 SACKS 1 FF 0 INT's last season - pretty good production for an off year. He just didn't have as many game-changing plays as we saw the last couple of seasons, but, for those who think Harris has been awful, you may want to revisit those statements.

That being said I am a little surprised that the front office hasn't approached Harris about restructuring yet, he is still very productive, but, his CAP number is just too high right now. No rush really to do it right now, but, I suspect they will approach Harris before the draft.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Harris had 123 TCKLES 3.0 SACKS 1 FF 0 INT's last season - pretty good production for an off year. He just didn't have as many game-changing plays as we saw the last couple of seasons, but, for those who think Harris has been awful, you may want to revisit those statements.

That being said I am a little surprised that the front office hasn't approached Harris about restructuring yet.
    This. Harris would be a starter on a lot of teams. He is overpaid but is still a viable starter. You also can't dump all your aging guys at once. Davis is still a question mark as well. I only mention Connor because I have always liked and and he'd be cheaper and younger.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

He is good. I'm glad he is here. Tanny gets killed here now, but he had a good run for a bit. Remember "In Tanny we trust."

However, Tanny started giving good, solid players elite player money. And that's where the trouble really started with the cap.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Is there anything more short sighted than looking at one year of a multiyear deal, where each season has a different value and whining that its too much money for that player. You would think by now that people would know how contracts are paid out.
    It was a terrible contract overall regardless of the hit this year. He lost a step the day after he signed the extension. He's a liability in coverage (see Gronk and Hernandez).

He was overpaid and Tanny should have offered short money or gone another route.

I've said this all along and I'm a huge D Harris fan (Go Blue!)

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

That being said I am a little surprised that the front office hasn't approached Harris about restructuring yet, he is still very productive, but, his CAP number is just too high right now. No rush really to do it right now, but, I suspect they will approach Harris before the draft.
    Good year with absolutely crap around him at LB. The guy doesn't stink. He's really good. Ray Lewis doesn't play with garbage around him. Yet, Harris does. The people who ***** about his contract constantly need to find a hobby.