Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Draft strategy

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Jones when healthy, is a can't miss impact guy. Jordon though really has a chance to be a better all around player.It might take a year or two though.A guy who can cover, First step explosion at 6'7",man. I think your absolutly right though,Jones is a sure thing

I'm a UGA fan..... and, I like Jones--- BUT, to say he's a "can't miss" guy is just ridiculous. He's good at rushing the passer, but that's his only trick..... he's a liability against the run and he does seem to disappear against the better OLs. In the NFL, they're ALL good OLs, compared to college. Anyone that can't stay on the field, productively, for 3 downs, is NOT a "can't miss" guy. (Maybin)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Currently the Jets have zero (Let me repeat that)ZERO, starting OLBers on the team. At pick 9, either Jarvis Jones, Ezekiel Ansah or Deon Jordan will be sitting there .

No no no no no... No. Please god no.

You do not go into the draft with than mentality. The greats never do.

We've had a so called need at OLB for years, and we've avoided spending a first round pick for good reasons. Last time we tried that, Gholston happen. If and ONLY IF, the right player is there, do I expect that to change this year...

That will not be for Ansah or Jordan IMO.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes likely our 1st 3 are QB, OLB, and S. Maybe MLB or TE if the right one falls in the 2nd or 3rd.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a guard with a top 10 pick you either haven't played football before, or have little knowledge to how to build a team.

In the NFL you need to 2 things to win.

A QB and someone who can get to the QB.

Eli - JPP/Tuck/Osi
    Peyton - Von/Dumervill
    Luck - Freeney/Mathis
    Ryan - Abraham
    Flacco - Suggs/Kruger
    Rodgers - Matthews

I can go on forever. Winning teams thrive off rushing the passer.

A guard has minimal impact on a game, especially in a ZBS. The difference between Okafor and Jordan is greater than a Warmack/Pugh talent and value wise.

Jordan has the most potential. However will need proper coaching (Rex Ryan)
    Jarvis is the most pro ready, and probably the best overall pass rusher.
    Ansah needs to be in a 4-3 with the proper coaching and supporting cast. (Detroit)
    Mingo is a risk pick, whom the more I watch, I cool down on. The bust of the pass rushers IMO.
    Werner and Moore don't interest me, never will.
    Collins is really intriguing, and another pick I'd like in the 2nd round.
    Last edited by K-Ro 25; 03-16-2013 at 06:09 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    If you want a guard with a top 10 pick you either haven't played football before, or have little knowledge to how to build a team.
    LOL

Saying stuff like this just makes you come off as a total douchebag.

But I forgot, you're the college kid who constantly watches "tape".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Eli - JPP/Tuck/Osi
    Peyton - Von/Dumervill
    Luck - Freeney/Mathis
    Ryan - Abraham
    Flacco - Suggs/Kruger
    Rodgers - Matthews

A guard has minimal impact on a game, especially in a ZBS. The difference between Okafor and Jordan is greater than a Warmack/Pugh talent and value wise.

Ansah needs to be in a 4-3 with the proper coaching and supporting cast. (Detroit)
    Mingo is a risk pick, whom the more I watch, I cool down on. The bust of the pass rushers IMO.
    Listen outside of Geno, Jones, and possibly Moore, no one beats out Warmack as far as value. And what is with this magical top 10. Would it be okay if the Jets were drafting at 11?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Me too

Plug Warmack in at LG and watch him dominate from day 1.
    Not sure why folks don't get this.

There aren't 4 poster here who can agree on/predict what kind of players Jones, Mingo, Jarvis, Jordan, Ansah, Moore, Werner are truly going to be. Too small, too much of a project, too little experience, injury history, too risky, maybe a bust, maybe HOF. Not even talking about the Geno Smith crowd.

We cannot gamble here.

Grab a surefire stud and move on.

Listen you snot-nosed little douche--if you're going to make a-hole declarations like that, go do it over on the Pfail Strip. You'll fit right in with those knee-jerk reactionary idiots.

Seriously.

This forum is reserved for adults with differences of opinions who want to share ideas and discuss those differences rationally.

I PLAYED football back in the late 70's.

I've WATCHED football since 1969.

I've been a season ticketholder since 2001. Been to every Jet home game since then, and I go to at least one away game every year.

Seriously, GFY if you can't discuss things like an adult.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Chance Wamack is what you guys claim he is, i won't have to worry about passing on him. He's not getting by the Browns. They best player is Trent Richardson, and opening holes for him should be theiir top priority.

I'll take Zeke Ansah and cry myself to sleep.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Chance Wamack is what you guys claim he is, i won't have to worry about passing on him. He's not getting by the Browns. They best player is Trent Richardson, and opening holes for him should be theiir top priority.

I'll take Zeke Ansah and cry myself to sleep.
    There's a damn good chance that Cleveland takes him. They don't really need a passrusher anymore with Kruger and Sheard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    jets are goin to draft a OLB w/1st pic ... Here we go again... OLB's/1st Rd = B U S T jets jets jets... There are plenty of OLB's to choose from in the early to mid. 2-5! Draft some1 u kno for fact is goin to play in the nfl .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think if the Jets go guard, it very well might be Cooper and not Warmack.
    Cooper to me looks better suited to a WCO because although huge, he looks much more lean & muscular.
    Who knows though, Warmack might just be an offensive Wilfork!
    You look at Wilfork with that big Azz belly & next thing you know he's making a tackle on a RB on the sideline.
    Quick feet, power & leverage are what count inside the masses.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    I'm a UGA fan..... and, I like Jones--- BUT, to say he's a "can't miss" guy is just ridiculous. He's good at rushing the passer, but that's his only trick..... he's a liability against the run and he does seem to disappear against the better OLs. In the NFL, they're ALL good OLs, compared to college. Anyone that can't stay on the field, productively, for 3 downs, is NOT a "can't miss" guy. (Maybin)
    This sounds like a cop out, but i kind of agree with you. I stated i would like Jordon at #9.As far as getting to the QB though, i think that Jones is more of a sure thing than any other Linebacker prospect

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Both are studs

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Cooper to me looks better suited to a WCO because although huge, he looks much more lean & muscular.
    Who knows though, Warmack might just be an offensive Wilfork!
    You look at Wilfork with that big Azz belly & next thing you know he's making a tackle on a RB on the sideline.
    Quick feet, power & leverage are what count inside the masses.
    I think Cooper might be a little more athletic,and if your pulling your left guard, you might prefer him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like a cop out, but i kind of agree with you. I stated i would like Jordon at #9.As far as getting to the QB though, i think that Jones is more of a sure thing than any other Linebacker prospect
    Good Pass rush is a direct result of putting yourself in the proper down in distance. If you can't stop the run, you probably will have a terrible Pass rush because you will never be certain what the offense is going to do. If a team is always in 2nd and short or 3rd and short, play action slows the rush due to the possibility of a draw play or a screen.

That's why guys like Mingo and Jordan have to be stout at the point of attack in order to be 3 down OLBers. Jordan maybe can handle the 34 OLBer position , but not Mingo. He's a 43 weakside backer who gets protected by a DE .

The best most complete OLber for the Jets is Ansah. After that it's Okafor.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The best most complete OLber for the Jets is Ansah. After that it's Okafor.
    That's why I want Okafor in the 2nd (where I've seen him projected pretty consistently).

_

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Eli - JPP/Tuck/Osi
    Peyton - Von/Dumervill
    Luck - Freeney/Mathis
    Ryan - Abraham
    Flacco - Suggs/Kruger
    Rodgers - Matthews

I don't think those are necessarily right. Jordan scares me just as much as Mingo.

I said no to DeCastro, and I'm saying no to Warmack.

If the Jets pick him I'd be shocked. And if you go OL you go a guy who can start outside and move inside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to go on the record and bet anyone here that we don't draft an OLB at #9. I'm gonna guess that Jones is gone and we take Dline/Oline

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That's why I want Okafor in the 2nd (where I've seen him projected pretty consistently).

_
    That's fine with me, but let's say that Wamack is gone by 9 which i believe he will be, who's your pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm going to go on the record and bet anyone here that we don't draft an OLB at #9. I'm gonna guess that Jones is gone and we take Dline/Oline

Who's your projections. Are we talking OLT and NT type prospects.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we are talking strategy then I think it is important to realize that Idzik is a first year GM with a HC that is on shaky ground. So if I was Idzik, I would be hesitant to draft guys, especially OLBs, that are so scheme specific. Only because, there is good chance that this HC could be gone at seasons end and the guy I bring in may run an entirely different scheme. It is also why if I draft a QB this year that he isnt a guy whose ceiling is a good WCO QB but would struggle in another type of offense.