Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 113

Thread: Our Draft strategy

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    From what I've seen this, is where I'd be at with respect to the Jets needs.

    Floyd
    Star
    Jones
    Warmack
    G. Smith
    Moore
    Eifert
    Allen
    L. Johnson
    Elam
    Patterson
    Cooper
    Rhodes
    Vacarro
    Hopkins

    omitted;
    top 2 tackles, and Milliner who are assuredly gone.
    Ansah who is too raw and in between in size
    Jordan, who i don't trust physically, at all.

    That's how I would approach drafting in the top 20. So if traded back, or acquired a middle round pick, that's the board I'd be picking from.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Not sure why folks don't get this.

    There aren't 4 poster here who can agree on/predict what kind of players Jones, Mingo, Jarvis, Jordan, Ansah, Moore, Werner are truly going to be. Too small, too much of a project, too little experience, injury history, too risky, maybe a bust, maybe HOF. Not even talking about the Geno Smith crowd.

    We cannot gamble here.

    Grab a surefire stud and move on.



    Listen you snot-nosed little douche--if you're going to make a-hole declarations like that, go do it over on the Pfail Strip. You'll fit right in with those knee-jerk reactionary idiots.

    Seriously.

    This forum is reserved for adults with differences of opinions who want to share ideas and discuss those differences rationally.

    I PLAYED football back in the late 70's.

    I've WATCHED football since 1969.

    I've been a season ticketholder since 2001. Been to every Jet home game since then, and I go to at least one away game every year.

    Seriously, GFY if you can't discuss things like an adult.

    _

    First off, pretty sure I'm a legal adult? Second off, I don't think I was the one to just blatantly personally abuse the poster. Third, I had concrete evidence.

    No one's is doubting your Jet-fandom, however, I am doubting your draft knowledge. I've been on TGG, FootballsFuture, and JI since 2007/8. Pretty consistent poster on all sites, and always abrupt when the draft comes.

    Look at my post history, and look at my draft knowledge, I'm pretty proud of my ability to evaluate talent.

    Guards don't get drafted in the top 10. The Left Tackle, Center, and even Right Tackle are the 3 most important positions on the Offensive Line. The LT is the blind side, the Center makes the calls, and RT usually has to face their most fierce PR. (JPP)

    This draft is also filled with talent at the G position. A guy I really like is Justin Pugh out of Syracuse. The difference in a Pugh that can be had in the 2nd round compared to a guy like Alex Okafor that is a PR that can be found in the 2nd round is HUGE.

    Jordan-Pugh >Warmack-Montgomery
    Jones-Warford > Cooper-Okafor

    It's called finding value in the draft. This draft is top heavy in pass rushers. A pass rusher is the most important position on a defense. Build your team with 3 players. Who do you pick? A QB, PR, LT, right?

    Ok.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

    Saying stuff like this just makes you come off as a total douchebag.

    But I forgot, you're the college kid who constantly watches "tape".
    I've been on the site since 08, amongst other various forums, as a legit draftnik. Tell me when your banging out 4 round mock drafts that take a few dozen hours to complete.

    Anyone can say gimme the top Guard available. Everyone says he's a safe pick. Study film. Watch Jordan's first step and hip fluidity. His ability to cover the slot, TE's, and also rush the pass rusher. A spin move comparable to Dwight Freeney.

    Oh yeah, I did some research and found a few mocks of yours, good job.

    1st round: DE Christian Ballard - Iowa

    3rd round: NT Jerrell Powe - Ole Miss

    4th round: FS Eric Hagg - Nebraska

    5th round: WR Jeff Maehl - Oregon

    6th round: TE Lee Smith - Marshall

    7th round: RB Darren Evans - Virginia Tech

    1st round: OLB Melvin Ingram - South Carolina

    2nd round: ILB Nigel Bradham - Florida State

    3rd round: RB Isaiah Pead - Cincinnati

    4th round: WR Jarrett Boykin - Virginia Tech

    5th round: TE George Bryan - N.C. State

    6th round: OG Charles Burton - Montana

    7th round: P Bryan Anger - California
    1st round: OLB Courtney Upshaw - Alabama

    2nd round: OT Zebrie Sanders - Florida State

    3rd round: SS Antonio Allen - South Carolina

    4th round: ILB Emmanuel Acho - Texas

    5th round: OG Johnnie Troutman - Penn State

    6th round: CB Gary Gray - Notre Dame

    7th round: P Drew Butler - Georgia

    I've been on this forum since '08, and have never agreed with you on a single pick.
    Last edited by K-Ro 25; 03-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,397
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    I've been on the site since 08, amongst other various forums, as a legit draftnik. Tell me when your banging out 4 round mock drafts that take a few dozen hours to complete.

    Anyone can say gimme the top Guard available. Everyone says he's a safe pick. Study film. Watch Jordan's first step and hip fluidity. His ability to cover the slot, TE's, and also rush the pass rusher. A spin move comparable to Dwight Freeney.

    Oh yeah, I did some research and found a few mocks of yours, good job.









    I've been on this forum since '08, and have never agreed with you on a single pick.
    LOL

    Who the f*ck cares?

    What, you fancy yourself a young Mike Mayock or something?

    Most of us do this sh*t for fun. No one claims to be a professional here except for you, a douchebag college kid who seems to think only your opinion matters.

    When I was in college, I spent my free time hanging out with friends and chasing pu$$y. You know, what normal kids do. Not sitting alone in my dorm room "breaking down film".

    Seriously, GFY.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    From what I've seen this, is where I'd be at with respect to the Jets needs.

    Floyd - Gone
    Star - Medical
    Jones - Pure Pass rusher
    Warmack - OG only - Gone
    G. Smith - Gone
    Moore - Solid football Player - Too Early
    Eifert - Too Early
    Allen - Too Early
    L. Johnson - Interesting
    Elam - Way too Early
    Patterson - Way to Early
    Cooper - Too early
    Rhodes - To Early
    Vacarro - To Early
    Hopkins - Way to Early

    omitted;
    top 2 tackles, and Milliner who are assuredly gone.
    Ansah who is too raw and in between in size
    Jordan, who i don't trust physically, at all.

    That's how I would approach drafting in the top 20. So if traded back, or acquired a middle round pick, that's the board I'd be picking from.
    There's alot of folks in that list i might not look at in the 1st round. It's my phylosophy on building a team in the salary cap Era.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    C'mon fellas. Let's stop with all the venom, and talk about my awesome board.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    There's alot of folks in that list i might not look at in the 1st round. It's my phylosophy on building a team in the salary cap Era.
    I'm not gonna say anyone's right or wrong about their beliefs in what's too early or not, but you've got Nassib and Barkley going before a whole host of guys who are ten times as talented IMO.

    If you believe Eifert for example can be the next Jimmy Graham, then obviously it's not too early to take him in the middle of the first.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

    Who the f*ck cares?

    What, you fancy yourself a young Mike Mayock or something?

    Most of us do this sh*t for fun. No one claims to be a professional here except for you, a douchebag college kid who seems to think only your opinion matters.

    When I was in college, I spent my free time hanging out with friends and chasing pu$$y. You know, what normal kids do. Not sitting alone in my dorm room "breaking down film".

    Seriously, GFY.
    It's called a hobby. Some people play video games, others watch TV in their free time, I watch film and scout prospects. Call it like you wish. Also, I'm graduating soon, and I'm not spending my time partying like if I was a freshman. Not sure where you're trying to go here?

    I never claimed to be a so called expert. However, I do have pride in my draft knowledge. I always praise people who know what their talking about, and I do understand there are people out their that know more than me. (FlamingMo, Tony, Paradis, SenorGato, as well as a bunch of others who's names I can't remember.)

    But good try.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm not gonna say anyone's right or wrong about their beliefs in what's too early or not, but you've got Nassib and Barkley going before a whole host of guys who are ten times as talented IMO.

    If you believe Eifert for example can be the next Jimmy Graham, then obviously it's not too early to take him in the middle of the first.

    I'm not an Eifert fan, probably never will be. He's not a good blocker at all, and he isn't explosive enough to be a pure threat at TE to be pass catcher only. Kelce and Reed are the best value buys at TE. Can be had in 3rd to 4th round.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    I never claimed to be a so called expert. However, I do have pride in my draft knowledge. I always praise people who know what their talking about, and I do understand there are people out their that know more than me. (FlamingMo, Tony, Paradis, SenorGato, as well as a bunch of others who's names I can't remember.)
    .


    I'm flattered, but you know more than I do. There's particular positions i might follow more closely, but as a whole I dunno

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm flattered, but you know more than I do. There's particular positions i might follow more closely, but as a whole I dunno

    Yeah, I'd say you have more knowledge in terms of the Defensive Line, a position I've never scouted well. Probably TE's too, and we're both pretty solid at WR.

    But thanks for the praise, I'm a fan of yours as well.

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    I'm not an Eifert fan, probably never will be. He's not a good blocker at all, and he isn't explosive enough to be a pure threat at TE to be pass catcher only. Kelce and Reed are the best value buys at TE. Can be had in 3rd to 4th round.
    As far as raw talent, I'm sold on Eifert. I've done as much research as I can on him and he's legit. He does however, come at a cost (mid-late 1st) that might be too pricey. He should be a top of the 2nd kind of guy, but we're lacking a ton of blue-chip talent this year in the draft

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    First off, pretty sure I'm a legal adult? Second off, I don't think I was the one to just blatantly personally abuse the poster. Third, I had concrete evidence.

    No one's is doubting your Jet-fandom, however, I am doubting your draft knowledge. I've been on TGG, FootballsFuture, and JI since 2007/8. Pretty consistent poster on all sites, and always abrupt when the draft comes.

    Look at my post history, and look at my draft knowledge, I'm pretty proud of my ability to evaluate talent.

    Guards don't get drafted in the top 10. The Left Tackle, Center, and even Right Tackle are the 3 most important positions on the Offensive Line. The LT is the blind side, the Center makes the calls, and RT usually has to face their most fierce PR. (JPP)

    This draft is also filled with talent at the G position. A guy I really like is Justin Pugh out of Syracuse. The difference in a Pugh that can be had in the 2nd round compared to a guy like Alex Okafor that is a PR that can be found in the 2nd round is HUGE.

    Jordan-Pugh >Warmack-Montgomery
    Jones-Warford > Cooper-Okafor

    It's called finding value in the draft. This draft is top heavy in pass rushers. A pass rusher is the most important position on a defense. Build your team with 3 players. Who do you pick? A QB, PR, LT, right?

    Ok.
    I like you, so i will give you a piece of advice. Do with it what u will.

    State your opinion, stick to your opinion and leave the other stuff alone. If it gets too personal, make a response if you must, then before u post it, ask yourself a question. Will this incite further conflict ? If the answer is yes, then hit delete and move on.

  14. #54

    Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I like you, so i will give you a piece of advice. Do with it what u will.

    State your opinion, stick to your opinion and leave the other stuff alone. If it gets too personal, make a response if you must, then before u post it, ask yourself a question. Will this incite further conflict ? If the answer is yes, then hit delete and move on.
    Guards dop get drafted in the top ten, remember Mike haight, or was that dave cadigan?????LOL.Were all here because we love football, hopefully the Jets. We all have opinions based on decent or good knowledge. Respect everybody elses views, and don't devalue them. I agree about Jordon, if youv'e read my previous posts.A year in the weight room, and under Rex Ryan, he's a terror

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I like you, so i will give you a piece of advice. Do with it what u will.

    State your opinion, stick to your opinion and leave the other stuff alone. If it gets too personal, make a response if you must, then before u post it, ask yourself a question. Will this incite further conflict ? If the answer is yes, then hit delete and move on.
    Alright man, just get easily aggravated by blatant discrimination. Will have to work on controlling myself I guess.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,397
    The way I see it, there really are no passrushers in this class without a host of red flags.

    Ansah - Has only been playing ball for two years. Is he strictly a 4-3 end or can he make the transition to OLB in a 3-4 defense?

    Jordan - Well rounded, but the production isn't there and I question his ability to be a bigtime passrusher in the NFL.

    Mingo - Built like a stick and the production isn't there. I think it was Tinstar who said he's better suited for the weakside in a 4-3 and I tend to agree.

    Jones - Super productive in the best conference in college football, but then there's the spinal stenosis and questions about his longevity.

    Moore - Totally stunk it up at the combine and may be luck to be a Top 20 selection at this point.



    Basically, all of these guys are a bigtime gamble. So if I'm gambling on a passrusher, why not someone like Tank Carradine in the 2nd round?

    That's actually my ideal screnario. Warmack at #9 and Carradine at #39.

  17. #57

    Smile Whoops

    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Guards dop get drafted in the top ten, remember Mike haight, or was that dave cadigan?????LOL.Were all here because we love football, hopefully the Jets. We all have opinions based on decent or good knowledge. Respect everybody elses views, and don't devalue them. I agree about Jordon, if youv'e read my previous posts.A year in the weight room, and under Rex Ryan, he's a terror
    I responded to the wrong post, sorry Tinstar. The guard comment was humour, trying to lighten things up, man, its only football, lol.

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,397
    Also, if Warmack is out there annihilating everyone in front of him, opening up gaping holes in the running game and turns out to be an all-pro for the better part of a decade...will anyone really care where we drafted him at?

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The way I see it, there really are no passrushers in this class without a host of red flags.

    Ansah - Has only been playing ball for two years. Is he strictly a 4-3 end or can he make the transition to OLB in a 3-4 defense?

    Jordan - Well rounded, but the production isn't there and I question his ability to be a bigtime passrusher in the NFL.

    Mingo - Built like a stick and the production isn't there. I think it was Tinstar who said he's better suited for the weakside in a 4-3 and I tend to agree.

    Jones - Super productive in the best conference in college football, but then there's the spinal stenosis and questions about his longevity.

    Moore - Totally stunk it up at the combine and may be luck to be a Top 20 selection at this point.
    by and large (is that spelled right?) I agree with this sentiment. I'm not overly crazy about any of these OLBs as they're wearing asterisks next to their name. If we were to take Jones or Moore, I would trust our FO's decision. There's guys like Lemonier in the 2nd that are more level with the talent/pick value.

    The thing that sucks about this, and the poverty of quality QBs, WRs, RBs, etc, is that it's pushing guys THAT SHOULD be available to us in the 2nd, and 3rd, up a whole round.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The way I see it, there really are no passrushers in this class without a host of red flags.

    Ansah - Has only been playing ball for two years. Is he strictly a 4-3 end or can he make the transition to OLB in a 3-4 defense?

    Jordan - Well rounded, but the production isn't there and I question his ability to be a bigtime passrusher in the NFL.

    Mingo - Built like a stick and the production isn't there. I think it was Tinstar who said he's better suited for the weakside in a 4-3 and I tend to agree.

    Jones - Super productive in the best conference in college football, but then there's the spinal stenosis and questions about his longevity.

    Moore - Totally stunk it up at the combine and may be luck to be a Top 20 selection at this point.



    Basically, all of these guys are a bigtime gamble. So if I'm gambling on a passrusher, why not someone like Tank Carradine in the 2nd round?

    That's actually my ideal screnario. Warmack at #9 and Carradine at #39.
    I actually like Moore, but his athletism and natural strength at the combine at his size left alot to be desired. When the workout matches the tape, you invest in the prospect. When the workout doesn't match the tape, you devalue the player.

    In the case of Gholston, the workout was off the chart but the tape was inconsistant telling us that the player wasn't serious about football . In the case of Moore, the tape doesn't match the workout telling us that while the player is serious about football, he's not willing to go that extra mile.

    When you look at Ansah, the tape and the workout are a match. The kid doesn't know what he's doing, but he's doing it well. Folks made an issue of this kid spending his time studying instead of training for the combines, and he still blew it up. In certain cultures, education is more important than just about anything short of Religion.

    I have no idea what this kid has to do to prove what he is, but in my mind, he's done it. If he's there, the Jets will make a huge mistake passing on him. The NYJets doesn't run the same type of 34 the Steelers or the Pats do. They run the same defense the Ravens do. Ezekiel Ansah would be our version of T sizzle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us