Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Tight End more important than WR in new NFL?

Is Tight End more important than WR in new NFL?

You only need to look north to see a new direction taken by someone I truly despise but have to admire for his foresight when it comes to building a team.

While I would love to draft a receiver like Patterson, wouldn't it be smarter to go with a TE like The kid from Stanford.
    We already have Holmes, Hill, Kerley.
    With these new rules big Athletic TEs are almost unstoppable.
    Had Gronk not been injured the Pats probably win 2 more Superbowls.
    Hernandez is a matchup nightmare.
    Tony Gonzalez almost willed the Falcons the bowl.
    Dennis Pita was a huge part of the Ravens playoff run.
    Just a thought, but it just seems that since the new CBA taking a TE at 9 is not as crazy as it seems if they believe the guy is a stud.
    What say ye?

Actually should have said, "Is a TE more important than a expensive recievers?"

If you notice, the Pats have a pay scale for WRs & they don't go over.
    You look at teams like Zona & Detroit, they have the 2 best receivers in the league & they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Actually should have said, "Is a TE more important than a expensive recievers?"

If you notice, the Pats have a pay scale for WRs & they don't go over.
    You look at teams like Zona & Detroit, they have the 2 best receivers in the league & they suck.
    The pats are good because they have an all-time great QB, the Cardinals and Detroit suck because they have terrible QB play. When the Cardinals were getting quality QB from Warner they went to the SB.

It's not some genius pay scale system the Pats have worked out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The role of TE's has become more important as defenses depend less upon LB's as they used to. With the league becoming more pass oriented, defenses are constantly utilizing more nickel and dime packages, leaving less LB's on the field and more space for TE's routes which generally are in the center of the field between the LB gaps.

All Pro
    Yes you cannot overpay for WRs or CBs anymore. With the salary cap you need to spend the money, and high draft picks on guys closer to the ball that make more of an impact. Sure if you can get a TE that can run block, pass block, catch over the middle, and deep you have an advantage. A WR doesn't have a chance to do that but the chances of finding a TE to do that are slim as well. Safe money is on pass rushers, and a QB first. Then hope you hit big on a project TE. Hayden Smith has a chance to do that. He also has a chance of never seeing the field again.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The pats are good because they have an all-time great QB, the Cardinals and Detroit suck because they have terrible QB play. When the Cardinals were getting quality QB from Warner they went to the SB.

It's not some genius pay scale system the Pats have worked out.
    I understand that but Stafford is not terrible.
    Belichick is such a student of the game, as much as I hate him how can you not see what he did that year in the draft taking Gronk & Hernandez, everyone thought he was crazy.
    That's why Keller is no big loss, he's a glorified slower receiver.
    Patrick Turner might have done as well.
    I'm talking the 6'-4"- 6"-6" athletic basketball types. Look what that kid in New Orleans is doing.

All Pro
    The answer to your Question is no. If the best matchup option on your team is a TE, then that is where the Smart QB will throw the football and the smart OC will game plan. If it's a WR, RB, ect ect.

The key to winning football at any level is blocking and tackling. If you get blocked, there's a very good chance you wont be making the tackle.

All Pro
    You only need to look north to see a new direction taken by someone I truly despise but have to admire for his foresight when it comes to building a team.

While I would love to draft a receiver like Patterson, wouldn't it be smarter to go with a TE like The kid from Stanford.
    We already have Holmes, Hill, Kerley.
    With these new rules big Athletic TEs are almost unstoppable.
    Had Gronk not been injured the Pats probably win 2 more Superbowls.
    Hernandez is a matchup nightmare.
    Tony Gonzalez almost willed the Falcons the bowl.
    Dennis Pita was a huge part of the Ravens playoff run.
    Just a thought, but it just seems that since the new CBA taking a TE at 9 is not as crazy as it seems if they believe the guy is a stud.
    What say ye?
    What new rules allow the TE to be unstoppable? Just because one team has found a way to scheme something why does that mean other teams should or are? Maybe Gronk being injured is a problem with the position. If he can't play what good is he? The Pats are so special that they would have won 2 SB's last year? Tony Gonzalez 'almost' willed the Falcons a bowl? Except he didn't. Boldin and the other WR's were much more important to Ravens' win.
    When everyone is winning the SB with their te's maybe you have a point.

I understand that but Stafford is not terrible.
    Belichick is such a student of the game, as much as I hate him how can you not see what he did that year in the draft taking Gronk & Hernandez, everyone thought he was crazy.
    That's why Keller is no big loss, he's a glorified slower receiver.
    Patrick Turner might have done as well.
    I'm talking the 6'-4"- 6"-6" athletic basketball types. Look what that kid in New Orleans is doing.
    What do Gronk and Hernandez do if Sanchez is their QB?

I agree with you about TE's being very valuable and good ones that can block, run and catch are incredibly important. Just don't fall inline with Belly idolatry.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    No, but it is just as important to Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What new rules allow the TE to be unstoppable? Just because one team has found a way to scheme something why does that mean other teams should or are? Maybe Gronk being injured is a problem with the position. If he can't play what good is he? The Pats are so special that they would have won 2 SB's last year? Tony Gonzalez 'almost' willed the Falcons a bowl? Except he didn't. Boldin and the other WR's were much more important to Ravens' win.
    Good answer. Football is team game. Patriots didn't lose these last years because of a TE. They lost because in the biggest times of need their defense failed them.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    What do Gronk and Hernandez do if Sanchez is their QB?

I agree with you about TE's being very valuable and good ones that can block, run and catch are incredibly important. Just don't fall inline with Belly idolatry.
    Don't just look at the obvious , peel back the onion a bit and ask what do Gronk and Hernandez do in Rex's G&P offense.

Taking a TE at nine wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be to upset if they did take him. I don't thing he gets pass Miami at 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Boldin plays the game like a TE.
    He's not that fast, has a big body, boxes out, has strong hands, & is excellent
    In the redzone.

Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Taking a TE at nine wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be to upset if they did take him. I don't thing he gets pass Miami at 12.
    If we took a TE at 9 I would have to go to best buy the next day to buy a new tv.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If we took a TE at 9 I would have to go to best buy the next day to buy a new tv.
    Get one now just in case you can always return it

All Pro
    The Tight End position has become one of the, if not THE, most important variable in your offense. Its how teams adjust to a defenses weaknesses. TEs are the most valuable asset outside of a QB.

There'll be a day, when the Jimmy Grahams and Hernandez's become the most sought after weapons in the league.

All Pro
    If J. Jones is gone at #9, we need to be thinking Eifert.

6'6, 250 all purpose TE. book it.

Alternatively, we can take G. Escobar in the 2nd. He's nearly as big, and has GREAT hands.

THEN... (cause not enough) we need a true move tight end, which is why we go where they grow 'em, in Florida - and take REED in the 4th.

After doing tape study of Florida TE Jordan Reed, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Reed is "very similar" to Aaron Hernandez.
    Cosell believes Reed has a chance to be the next "Joker" tight end in the NFL, creating matchup problems for defenses. At 6-foot-2 1/2 and 236 pounds, Reed ran a 4.72 forty at the Combine, although he was "unofficially" timed as fast as 4.62. His ten-yard split was 1.63 seconds. At the 2010 Florida Pro Day, a 6-foot-2 1/3, 245-pound Hernandez ran 4.64 with a 1.65-second ten-yard split. Mar 13 - 10:05 PM
    Trust me people, we just need to do this.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-16-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    For S&Gs let's imagine that someone like Eifert becomes as good, & more reliable than Gronk (less injuries I should say)
    Wouldn't you feel pretty stupid kicking in your TV?
    Just asking

I think your are going to see more and more bulkier wideouts than ever before. Think Boldin.

The reason is because with the new safety rules, WRs have a huge physical advantage over the CBs. Getting massive guys with decent(not great) speed from the slot will become a necessity. The will be able to outphysical most corners and not worry about getting destroyed over the middle.

So my answer is NO. But I do think the wideout position is going to change from being a position that relies primarily on speed.