Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Tight End more important than WR in new NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    If J. Jones is gone at #9, we need to be thinking Eifert.

6'6, 250 all purpose TE. book it.

Alternatively, we can take G. Escobar in the 2nd. He's nearly as big, and has GREAT hands.

THEN... (that's not enought) we need a true move tight end, which is why we go where they grow 'em, in Florida - and take REED in the 4th.

Trust me people, we just need to do this.
    I don't think this is crazy at all!
    People are forgetting that this is the 1st year in the Jets rebuilding. What better way to build your offense than to have multiple versatile TEs like the Patriots did?
    Lets say that Jordan, Jones, Ziggy are all picked B4 the Jets, not completely out of the realm of possibility, 8 players will be picked B4 us.
    Personally, I feel that in today's NFL, offense is where the trend is going. Give Marty the pcs to put in his version of the WCO, & let Rex get back to what he does best, teach defense.
    I think Rex got caught up in so much BS & pea cocking he forgot what got him to a place at the table of 32 as a headcoach.
    With Holmes, Hill, Kerley it's my feeling there is no way the Jets go WR in the 1st unless they got another # 1 for Revis.
    If we do trade Revis, my thoughts would be you need game changers on offense & I would not be adverse to going Eifert & Austin.
    Flame away, but I think Austin is going to be a STAR is these league. You get a future scary offensive weapon in the slot, out of the backfield, reverses ect.
    You get a dynamic kick returner & punt returner.
    You get 2 players that would account for maybe 15-17 touches per game combined.
    That is a helluva lot better than taking a guard when you could wait till the 3rd round for.

I wouldn't mind ertz in round 2 or 3.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I don't think this is crazy at all!
    People are forgetting that this is the 1st year in the Jets rebuilding. What better way to build your offense than to have multiple versatile TEs like the Patriots did?
    Lets say that Jordan, Jones, Ziggy are all picked B4 the Jets, not completely out of the realm of possibility, 8 players will be picked B4 us.
    Personally, I feel that in today's NFL, offense is where the trend is going. Give Marty the pcs to put in his version of the WCO, & let Rex get back to what he does best, teach defense.
    I think Rex got caught up in so much BS & pea cocking he forgot what got him to a place at the table of 32 as a headcoach.
    With Holmes, Hill, Kerley it's my feeling there is no way the Jets go WR in the 1st unless they got another # 1 for Revis.
    If we do trade Revis, my thoughts would be you need game changers on offense & I would not be adverse to going Eifert & Austin.
    Flame away, but I think Austin is going to be a STAR is these league. You get a future scary offensive weapon in the slot, out of the backfield, reverses ect.
    You get a dynamic kick returner & punt returner.
    You get 2 players that would account for maybe 15-17 touches per game combined.
    That is a helluva lot better than taking a guard when you could wait till the 3rd round for.
    I can't see this happening. Projected to go before pick 9:

3 OLT
    1 DT
    1 QB/ maybe 2
    1 CB

1 and maybe 2 of those players will be around at pick 9. Could even be all 3.

If we manage to get that 13th pick from Tampa, i would take both if i got the cahnce.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    You only need to look north to see a new direction taken by someone I truly despise but have to admire for his foresight when it comes to building a team.

While I would love to draft a receiver like Patterson, wouldn't it be smarter to go with a TE like The kid from Stanford.
    We already have Holmes, Hill, Kerley.
    With these new rules big Athletic TEs are almost unstoppable.
    Had Gronk not been injured the Pats probably win 2 more Superbowls.
    Hernandez is a matchup nightmare.
    Tony Gonzalez almost willed the Falcons the bowl.
    Dennis Pita was a huge part of the Ravens playoff run.
    Just a thought, but it just seems that since the new CBA taking a TE at 9 is not as crazy as it seems if they believe the guy is a stud.
    What say ye?
    Finding players who can cover elite TE's is even more important

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    TE doesn't have to be all world.

TE in the 2nd round. Ertz is the guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Short answer is no. But the TE position has become more important and an area where offenses like to look to mismatches. I can't remember the last time we were able to cover one. I think Herm may have been the coach.

You still need a great WR. The Pats had Welker. He made things a lot easier for Gronk and Hernandez.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    TE in the 2nd round. Ertz is the guy.
    So much NO to Ertz. Overpriced average talent.

Jets need a tight end bottom line.

Cumby is way overrated by Jets fans. He's Chris Baker without the blocking.

Alternatively, we can take G. Escobar in the 2nd. He's nearly as big, and has GREAT hands.

THEN... (cause not enough) we need a true move tight end, which is why we go where they grow 'em, in Florida - and take REED in the 4th.

Trust me people, we just need to do this.
    I like Eifert but the guy we need to be thinking about if Warmack isn't there at 9 is Star. Eifert can be had with the Tampa pick and then Ertz should be available in rd 2.