Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 130

Thread: Has there ever been a better time to RESIGN Revis?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Has there ever been a better time to RESIGN Revis?

    Talib 1 yr, 5m.
    DRC 1 yr 5m
    Cox 5m per year.
    Sean smith 6m per.

    Revis is coming off an ACL injury and has to have some fear of not getting that big contract right now.


    This may be the best chance at ever signing Revis to a long deal. His asking price will never be met, and I think he will settle somewhere around 10m where the top cb contracts in the league stand now that nmandi was cut.

    If we don't get our asking price, I surely see us trying to resign us himself bc of next years cap hits if he cant

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,631
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opportune time for sure. How confident are you on his knee? That has to be the #1 concern.

    His concern is that he would be selling himself at the lowest point, bad knee, down market.

    I do think a 6 year 72 mill will be taken more than I ever did before. he sitll gets to say hi is the highest paid DB.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    I have a better Question

    Revis will be traded, and has to be.

    My Question is : Do the Jets have enough cap space to make Mark Sanchez a June 1st cut.

  4. #4
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are losing your mind; Revis showed all those guys on your list how a top flight player takes care of business; they are all following his lead. None of them are in his solar system.

    You jr. GM's should really get this - Revis is miles better than all those guys; Cromartie got great from playing with Darrelle. ( coached up by Rex and Thurman)

    Revis might be a CB, but he CAN get you over the hump. He has those intangibles; he showed them in prime time again and again.

    Revis agents won't let that "false market" take over; they will dig in. Is it a good time? No; it never is for the Jets. Although Idzik looks game enough to get busy.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Opportune time for sure. How confident are you on his knee? That has to be the #1 concern.

    His concern is that he would be selling himself at the lowest point, bad knee, down market.

    I do think a 6 year 72 mill will be taken more than I ever did before. he sitll gets to say hi is the highest paid DB.
    The truth is the Jets really dont have to do anything, Revis is under contract regardless and he can't hold out or he is on the hook for 3 or 4 more years (don't remember the exact terms of the no-holdout clause).

    If the Jets chose to be pro-active, now would be the best time for them to do it (financially) but they would definitely be assuming a fair amount of risk if they did, not knowing how Revis will perform on that reconstructed ACL.

    I will say this, for all of the uncertainty Revis has caused us over the last few years, it's nice to finally be in a position where the Jets absolutely hold ALL THE CARDS concerning his future.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-16-2013 at 01:12 PM.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why everyone wants to get rid of Revis. I get we all want that extra first rounder, but lets face it, Revis is the best defensive player in football. The market clearly isn't as strong for DBs as was expected, it's time to lock him up.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is in another league than those CB's but their contracts are indicative of recent shift in spending throughout the NFL, probably attributable to the news of a flat cap over the next few years combined with evidence of the damage these obscene contracts can do (Suh and Larry Fitz come to mind).

    15-16mill a year for the best CB ever seems silly.

    12/yr seems more realistic in this market. The problem is Revis's agents are beyond douchebags and would never go for it.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,376
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been hoping all along that the market will show Revis & co that his supposed demands of $16m+ are pure fairy tale ... no team is interested in paying him that much.

    In my mind he can risk playing one year on his current deal and hope to hit a better FA market next year, or sign a medium to long term deal with the Jets. His risks on the former are (a) his knee and (b) the Jets may have a BAD year next year and that may tarnish his value somewhat too.

    The longer the market stays as is, the better a situation it puts the Jets in - and the weaker the position is for Revis.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to keep revis, but the reality is we have to trade him. What are your guys opionion on taking Dee Millner if he is there at 9?

  10. #10
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    He is in another league than those CB's but their contracts are indicative of recent shift in spending throughout the NFL, probably attributable to the news of a flat cap over the next few years combined with evidence of the damage these obscene contracts can do (Suh and Larry Fitz come to mind).

    15-16mill a year for the best CB ever seems silly.

    12/yr seems more realistic in this market. The problem is Revis's agents are beyond douchebags and would never go for it.
    He's a difference maker; I can't help thinking he needs to go; that the odds for the Jets are too long in the next year or two.

    It's kind of heartbreaking; a bit.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm Revis, I play for the Jets this year and wait until next year when I have proven my knee is better and the market is better. THEN I try for the big contract. Don't forget, Revis has some control of the situation. It is unlikely the Jets can trade him unless he is willing to come to terms with another teeam.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 03-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I think you are losing your mind; Revis showed all those guys on your list how a top flight player takes care of business; they are all following his lead. None of them are in his solar system.

    You jr. GM's should really get this - Revis is miles better than all those guys; Cromartie got great from playing with Darrelle. ( coached up by Rex and Thurman)

    Revis might be a CB, but he CAN get you over the hump. He has those intangibles; he showed them in prime time again and again.

    Revis agents won't let that "false market" take over; they will dig in. Is it a good time? No; it never is for the Jets. Although Idzik looks game enough to get busy.
    This

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    "false market"
    that's a funny thing to say when u think about it. how can a market ever be false? prices and quantities and demand...markets aren't true or false...they just are. sometimes they are exaggerated one way or another, but don't forget the Raiders Asomugha deal and the Aso-Revis contract competition inflated CB value.

    I would call that the CB bubble.

    perhaps the cornerback bubble has now burst (with Aso getting cut), and the oversaturation of available CBs in the market.

    I think Revis' fantasy is over. The bubble has burst...his asking price has to come down.

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    I would love to keep revis, but the reality is we have to trade him. What are your guys opionion on taking Dee Millner if he is there at 9?
    was thinking same thing this morning. him or trufant or rhodes
    in the 2nd. no guarantee but maybe a probowler instead of a legend is the way to go

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    If I'm Revis, I play for the Jets this year wait until next year when I have proven my knee is better and the market is better. THEN I try for the big contract. Don't forget, Revis has some control of the situation. It is unlikely the Jets can trade him unless he is willing to come to terms with another teeam.
    For every Pederson there are 10 athletes that don't come back stronger. And some get reinjured.

    I ask this of anyone. For an extra 2-3 million per year, would you pass on 50m guaranteed and 10m per year?

    This is the best time to get Revis at 10m per. He can't be that stupid, he's coming off a ACL in a soft market. He will not wait until next year to get a contract.....he wants one now

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    If I'm Revis, I play for the Jets this year and wait until next year when I have proven my knee is better and the market is better. THEN I try for the big contract. Don't forget, Revis has some control of the situation. It is unlikely the Jets can trade him unless he is willing to come to terms with another teeam.
    This is what worries me the most about the Revis situation. I have a feeling this is what he is going to do to stick it to the Jets

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    ship has passed.. Woody doesnt want him, and I would be surprised if Revis actually wants to stay here now..

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    He's a difference maker; I can't help thinking he needs to go; that the odds for the Jets are too long in the next year or two.

    It's kind of heartbreaking; a bit.
    I won't turn this into another trade/keep Revis debate, but I just don't think you get better by trading away your most dominate player maybe in franchise history no matter what the position. People want to build through the draft like the other great organizations...well when you hit a home run in the draft you have to keep those guys when they are in their prime. Yes 2013 is a rebuilding year, but he's already under contract for 2013. I don't want to hear about rebuilding any longer than that. In the modern NFL if you are rebuilding for more than a year you aren't rebuilding.. you're just a ****ty organization.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    ship has passed.. Woody doesnt want him, and I would be surprised if Revis actually wants to stay here now..
    That's my feeling too, but I guess time will tell. I really hope that if he is willing to settle for 12 million a year, the Jets would keep him, but my gut says that too much crap has been flung for an amicable solution.

  20. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    If I'm Revis, I play for the Jets this year and wait until next year when I have proven my knee is better and the market is better. THEN I try for the big contract. Don't forget, Revis has some control of the situation. It is unlikely the Jets can trade him unless he is willing to come to terms with another teeam.
    If I am the Jets I hold out for Tampa Bay's 1st round selection this year. If I don't get it, I look forward to having Darrelle in training camp. I make him an offer in the 10-12 million range with most of it guaranteed. If he turns it down I wait until the season starts and then see if any takers are out there and see if Revis's agents start getting anxious.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us