Thread: 2 most important drafts in Jets history?

2 most important drafts in Jets history?

The 2013 & 2014 drafts for our NY Jets will determine the direction this team takes over the next 5-6 years.
    That is a lifetime in the NFL.
    While the media loves to bash the Jets & us fans for that matter we have had some success over the last 5 years.
    2 AFCCGS
    Unfortunately for the Jets we happen to play in the same division with one of the best QBs to ever play the game & a HOF coach.
    I guarantee you that the Steelers would not have won 2 bowls had they been playing in the AFC east over the past 10 years!
    Brady & Belichick had the Steelers number.
    When you look at the future landscape of the AFC this is the time to rebuild for the future.
    Both Brady & Manning are on their last legs. The best QB will be Andrew Luck.
    After that most of the best young QBs are in the NFC.
    I have no idea what the upside of Tannyhill is but I'm guessing its not close to what Brady & Manning have done in this league.
    My point is that for years the NY Jets have tried to stay competitive by each year loading up on other teams aged stars.
    No one seemed to want this resurrection job because, lets face it, it won't be easy, but, looking toward the future Idzik has a chance to cement his legacy as a GM by taking on this project.
    Will he succeed?
    Who the hell knows but this is that moment when you need an Idzik type. Calm, calculating, quiet, ( have u noticed there are no leaks coming from Florham park?)
    Maybe, just maybe we found the right guy to give us another chance at a Superbowl.
    I'm cheering for him. By just taking this job he's earned my admiration.
    Go Johnny!
    Last edited by jetster; 03-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    good post and actually one losing season since 2007 and that was last years 6-10 record after going 8-8. The jets have been far from NFL doormats in recent history and yet so many fans get caught up with the media bashing. I focs on the team and not the media. I agree withyour post for this reason.....the jets have n0t really made wholesale changes in this manner. They would have some good competitive teams then fall off with some bad ones before getting good again.....up and down. The next 2 drafts if successful can determine if the jets remain good for many years.....like the way the patriots and steelers are overall consistent......in that time span we may also finally have a qb.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The 2013 & 2014 drafts for the our NY Jets will determine the direction this team takes over the next 5-6 years.
    While the media loves to bash the Jets & us fans for that matter we have had some success over the last 5 years.
    2 AFCCGS
    Unfortunately for the Jets we happen to play in the same division with one of the best QBs to ever play the game & a HOF coach.
    I guarantee you that the Steelers would not have won 2 bowls had they been playing in the AFC east over the past 10 years!
    When you look at the future landscape of the AFC this is the time to rebuild for the future.
    I have no idea what the upside of Tannyhill is but I'm guessing its not close to what Brady & Manning have done in this league.
    My point is that for years the NY Jets have tried to stay competitive by each year loading up on other teams aged stars.
    No one seemed to want this resurrection job because, lets face it, it won't be easy, but, looking toward the future Idzik has a chance to cement his legacy as a GM by taking on this project.
    Will he succeed?
    Who the hell knows but this is that moment when you need an Idzik type. Calm, calculating, quiet, ( have u noticed there are no leaks coming from Florham park?)
    Maybe, just maybe we found the right guy to give us another chance at a Superbowl.
    Go Johnny!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Before he came on board the media made it seem like the Jets were begging people to take the job and that it was unattractive....absurd since any gm job in the nfl is a great gig......in this short time span you can already feel the positive changes.

Rookie
    Yes! This is a very good post and as mentioned media will beat this team up. Over the next two drafts, the team will have a solid foundation to make a run. Even bringing in a guy like Willie Colon gives me a hint regarding the draft, we will most likely draft offensive linemen and go for the skills players next year at QB & WR.
    Patience is what is needed now.
    I only say a QB will be drafted next year because a QB is usually married to the coach and GM who drafted him so I am curious to see what does happen with Rex Ryan.

All League
    I agree with most of the logic of the OP but to say the next two drafts could be the most important in team history might be a bit of exaggeration.

Now let's say we draft Barkley or Nassib and they become Brady or even Matt Ryan, then yes.

If there is an elite franchise QB in the next two drafts and we don't get him, well it will haunt us for the foreseeable future.

I really hope Idzik takes the draft extremely seriously, and that needs to be priority number 1.

It seems as that is the case, and if we hit on this draft big time, its going to really set us up for the future.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Before he came on board the media made it seem like the Jets were begging people to take the job and that it was unattractive....absurd since any gm job in the nfl is a great gig......in this short time span you can already feel the positive changes.

This...

All Pro
    My only pray is for our new GM to heed the suggestions of his scouting staff over the wishes of his HC . Let those who were hired too and spent all yr evaluating players be your guide instead of someone who watches a player in shorts and thinks he can make a football player out of a workout warrior.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    My only pray is for our new GM to heed the suggestions of his scouting staff over the wishes of his HC . Let those who were hired too and spent all yr evaluating players be your guide instead of someone who watches a player in shorts and thinks he can make a football player out of a workout warrior.
    This just about covers everything that we are all worried about. What worries me is that in Seattle, Pete Carroll has a lot on input on free agency and the draft.

But, as a New GM, Idzik should realize that he will have a honeymoon period as no one with any football sense will expect anything from this team for at least 2 seasons. And with that, he should be making moves with not 2013 in mind but 2014.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    This just about covers everything that we are all worried about. What worries me is that in Seattle, Pete Carroll has a lot on input on free agency and the draft.

But, as a New GM, Idzik should realize that he will have a honeymoon period as no one with any football sense will expect anything from this team for at least 2 seasons. And with that, he should be making moves with not 2013 in mind but 2014.
    There's 1 thing about Rex that i like. I don't go into any game believing that i can't win. That includes next yr. Let the naysayers believe what they want, that's their choice. If i do my Job to the best of my ability, i expect a favorable outcome. I can't control the officials or the conditions, but i can control what i do, and that's all i care about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Well, I'd say the '65 draft was the most important in this teams history just because it netted us Namath.

But the next two drafts are extremely important, no doubt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Well, I'd say the '65 draft was the most important in this teams history just because it netted us Namath.

+1 And with the 2nd rd pick we took the Heisman winner QB John Huarte from Notre Dame...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 And with the 2nd rd pick we took the Heisman winner QB John Huarte from Notre Dame...
    We were dead set on finding a franchise QB.

I can respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Were not only going to W , Im going to spill beanz too. Times r tite bc of dat. thanx jdub! Think bout dat then think bout dis if I waz to hit u do u think that I would miss? PHIFE DAWG aka TRIBE CALLED QUEST!

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The 2013 & 2014 drafts for our NY Jets will determine the direction this team takes over the next 5-6 years.
    2 AFCCGS
    Will he succeed?
    Go Johnny!
    It's not just the next two drafts. They are very important and will determine the future of the organization. But based on how many players have been purged from the roster at this point, FA will be just as important and as big as the next two drafts.

We simply won't have enough picks to replace all of the underperforming veterans, players that need replacement due to age, depth, etc.

Just like FA in 2008 had a huge positive impact on the team in 2009 and 2010, FA will also have a huge impact on us building the team back to repectability.

I also believe that taking the best available player, no matter what position they play will be of utmost importance. I hope Idzik never drafts a player out of need unless said player also happens to be the best available player.

Just saying because it MAY extend this ressurection project beyond the next two seasons. There are no decent QB prospects in this seasons draft. Assuming we nail the next two drafts and get great players that make a huge impact on the team, just as an example we may need a real TE to put us over the top and one may not be available in the next two drafts or FA.

I think we end up with Jarvis Jones and Warford in rounds 1 and 2.