Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: Senator Rob Portman

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    "Feinstein needed to be checked and apparently Cruz is the guy to do it" Really?

    Charles Krauthammer(R) had this to say about Cruz's performance;

    In the end, [Senator Ted] Cruz overshot. His question was, his argument was you wouldn't tamper with the first amendment on free speech for example, the way you're tampering with the second in restricting it by making some weapons illegal. And the answer that Feinstein ended up with, suggested by Dick Durbin was yes, we do with the first amendment when we outlaw pornography. So that is a large category of speech that is illegal, and that therefore it isn't absolute every right in the first or the second or the fourth amendment is one that you cannot touch. So, I thought Cruz was -- also the manner which he asked it, I think it appeared a little bit offensive.

    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...feinstein.html

    He was loud and his opinion was heard so if that is what you mean by "checking" Feinstein then you are correct, I guess. When I saw that exchange I thought of the following quote; "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room."

    In candor, I am not an expert on pornography but I believe it is a fairly big indistry running into the billions of dollars. I recall several years ago that Ron Jeremy (who is probably better known than Mark Sanchez) actually appeared before a Senate subcommittee on the industry. So how controlled is it?
    When you deal with the likes of Feinstein or Boxer sometimes you need to be offensive. They almost always are.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Personal experiences matter, just ask Portman.
    Personal experiences matter in forming opinions. However, discovering shooting victims does not make one an expert on guns or gun legislation. No more so than anyone else. It may give you a nice emotional political story to lean on, but in reality, doesn't make you the go-to on unrelated matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I'm not offended by Cruz, I just think it is comical how he made his mark by running around telling everyone how "he" knows Obamacare will be struck down because he was a clerk for the Supreme court.
    Stop. Your grasp of facts is glaringly off when you say things like this. This does not represent what Cruz has said, how he "made his mark", nor the actual facts of the Supreme Court's decision. Not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    This guy is like all the rest, he's about himself and decided to come in and pretend he's important because he's with the Tea Party. My guess he will be a one and done.
    He is important. He is one of 100 members of the Senate. Seems he just bothers you more than someone like Feinstein, who has no less of an ego, simply because of his party affiliation.

    I'm not necessarily a fan of Cruz, but what I am starting to like about his presence is how much he's getting some folks riled up. I still don't see the connection to Cruz in a thread that was supposed to be about Portman and his stance on gay marriage. But whatever, it's pretty fun to watch. The unwitting comedy in this forum is hard to stay away from at times.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    I asked Bomhome about Cruz. Your arrogance is a lot like another poster who once posted here. Oh CBNY where have you gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Personal experiences matter in forming opinions. However, discovering shooting victims does not make one an expert on guns or gun legislation. No more so than anyone else. It may give you a nice emotional political story to lean on, but in reality, doesn't make you the go-to on unrelated matters.



    Stop. Your grasp of facts is glaringly off when you say things like this. This does not represent what Cruz has said, how he "made his mark", nor the actual facts of the Supreme Court's decision. Not even close.



    He is important. He is one of 100 members of the Senate. Seems he just bothers you more than someone like Feinstein, who has no less of an ego, simply because of his party affiliation.

    I'm not necessarily a fan of Cruz, but what I am starting to like about his presence is how much he's getting some folks riled up. I still don't see the connection to Cruz in a thread that was supposed to be about Portman and his stance on gay marriage. But whatever, it's pretty fun to watch. The unwitting comedy in this forum is hard to stay away from at times.

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I asked Bomhome about Cruz. Your arrogance is a lot like another poster who once posted here. Oh CBNY where have you gone.
    Yes, we can all read what you wrote. Still not making the connection to Portman.

    That's fine if you find me arrogant. Hell, post silly pictures like you usually do when you've backed yourself in a corner. If that's another way for you to reconcile in your own mind the fact that you can't seem to actively address whatever the topic is at hand at any given moment, then do what you have to.

  5. #45
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Ah man, it was awesome! All the newest Cons! Trump, West, Palin and Paul.
    I for one could watch Palin all day. Not listen, just watch. She's got that sexy librarian thing goin' on.

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I read his op-ed last week. I think that its a good thing that he has come around and evolved his position. The GOP needs to get away from the caricature as the party of southern white evangelicals and baptists. It must be the party of everyone. I'm not saying that the GOP should change their platform completely re social issues but this idea that candidates need to be in lock step regarding these issues is a bit much. The fact that Chris Christie (my personal favorite as far as Republicans in office go) was not invited to CPAC was a shame to say the least.


    I’ve said this before but the “…southern white Evangelicals and Baptists…” are the only folks winning seats in the congress for the GOP.

    Might not be the best idea alienating those folks

  7. #47
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I for one could watch Palin all day. Not listen, just watch. She's got that sexy librarian thing goin' on.
    Literacy is a pre-requisite for librarians.



  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Yes, we can all read what you wrote. Still not making the connection to Portman.

    That's fine if you find me arrogant. Hell, post silly pictures like you usually do when you've backed yourself in a corner. If that's another way for you to reconcile in your own mind the fact that you can't seem to actively address whatever the topic is at hand at any given moment, then do what you have to.
    "We"? Who else are you speaking for now? Yawn

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    "We"? Who else are you speaking for now? Yawn
    LOL

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Feinstein's bill was shot down by Harry Reid. Her own party. And not a word here by those who mocked the idea that she needs to be checked.

    ROFLMAO.

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    So Feinstein's bill was shot down by Harry Reid. Her own party. And not a word here by those who mocked the idea that she needs to be checked.

    ROFLMAO.
    You're special.

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    So Feinstein's bill was shot down by Harry Reid. Her own party. And not a word here by those who mocked the idea that she needs to be checked.

    ROFLMAO.
    Wow, that was an especially poor post on your part.

    Reid shot down the bill not on principle or merit but politics. Translation; thanks to the far reaching power of the NRA there was not enough votes to pass.

    Try again.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Wow, that was an especially poor post on your part.

    Reid shot down the bill not on principle or merit but politics. Translation; thanks to the far reaching power of the NRA there was not enough votes to pass.

    Try again.
    Again. Not surprised.

    I don't think you'll ever connect the dots.

  14. #54
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Again. Not surprised.

    I don't think you'll ever connect the dots.
    "The bill I advance tonight will serve as the basis for opening debate. Once debate begins, I will ensure that a ban on assault weapons, limits to high-capacity magazines, and mental health provisions receive votes, along with other amendments," Reid said. "In his State of the Union address, President Obama called for all of these provisions to receive votes, and I will ensure that they do."

  15. #55
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I threw Reid and Feinstein with the other dog crap yesterday. Two old droppings out there still!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us