Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jets Interested in Heyward-Bey

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets don't need a WR for 2013, because the top 3 are and will be Holmes, Kerley and Hill barring injury or trade. The Jets need a WR for 2014, and Chris Harper is the guy they should target to team with Hill and Kerley. Big body WR who is a clone of Anquan Bolden.
    I read somewhere that Holmes can't even run yet. We can't rely on him to be ready for a full season after the surgery. DHB would be a good addition for cheap. Someone with experience who had his best season with our current WR coach. Young with upside.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see why the Jets would be interested in DHB because he would be a cheap signing who they could get rid of if he doesn't work out.

But why would DHB be interested in playing for the Jets? His next team may be his last shot at staying in the NFL. A WR in his situation who wants to prove himself should want to go to a team with at least a half way decent QB. I can't imagine any WR wanting to come here with the Jets QBs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I didn't see anyone call Hill a bust in this thread, and anyone who does at this point is foolish.

That said, we can only talk about what we've seen so far, which is a guy who often disappeared for long stretches and wasn't always fundamentally sound. He might develop into the guy we hope he will be...he might not.

With Bey you have a guy who at least produced over a full season and shouldn't be expensive. If he comes in and Hill beats him out, then good for us.
    Ok I hear ya, but when folks say "Jets don't have any young WR's worth a shi*. Hill cant catch a cold" that sounds a lot like bust talk to me!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No reason to not take a look, especially since Hill showed so little his rookie year. Hopeful he'll take a leap, but you never know.

If the Jets go into camp with Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Edwards, & Heyward-Bey (and White), I'll be confident that they'll have a solid rotation of 4 wideouts during the season. And maybe they hit on a later draft pick as well - I'm hoping the Jets don't use an early pick on a WR.
    the only problem is that the jets need a decent q.b to throw to them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Jets don't have any young WR's worth a shi*. Hill cant catch a cold.. Kerley is SLOT and BE and Tone R close to 30 yrs old !!!!

Jets need to draft a *TAR WR like

HOPKINS
    PATTERSON
    Hill will have a breakout year. He is going to be a pro-bowler.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is amazing to me how little Jet fans think of a 1st yr player who proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he could get open at will against some quality NFL CBs.
    Totally agree and his most glaring drop against New England apart some of the 'drops' were moderately tough plays.You also have to be doing something right to get that wide open in the first place

Still think DHB could be a good pick up

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    I can see why the Jets would be interested in DHB because he would be a cheap signing who they could get rid of if he doesn't work out.

But why would DHB be interested in playing for the Jets? His next team may be his last shot at staying in the NFL. A WR in his situation who wants to prove himself should want to go to a team with at least a half way decent QB. I can't imagine any WR wanting to come here with the Jets QBs.
    SKY IS FALLING, WHO WOULD EVER WANT TO PLAY FOR THE WOESOME JETS.

Attitudes like this prove that the media campaign to portray the Jets as a circus is working. Forget that the wr coach he had success under is now our wr coach, forget that pur new OC has serious morningwood for the passing game, forget that FA is not over let alone the draft for the jets to add another qb...it's preordained, receivers would rather retire than come here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    I read somewhere that Holmes can't even run yet. We can't rely on him to be ready for a full season after the surgery. DHB would be a good addition for cheap. Someone with experience who had his best season with our current WR coach. Young with upside.
    Again, I have no problem with the Jets bringing in this guy or any other free agent WR for that matter. Just don't tell me it's because Stephen Hill sucks.

I have been through the :

Bryan Thomas sucks because he doesn't sack the QB threads.

Jeff Cumberland Sucks because he's not Dustin Keller threads.

The (insert Player) sucks because (Insert poster) can't see the forest through the trees.

I wish fans would grade players base on what they see instead of what they expect.

When i watched Thomas i saw a player who kept RBs from getting outside the way John Abraham did.

When i watch Cumberland, i see an UDFA player doing the same thing a player we spent a 1st round pick on doing, without the benefit of practicing with the 1st string.

I don't look at expectations, i look at results. What good is a guy who gets 10 sacks but allows the RB outside to the tune of 100yards a game and a lost. Those guys cost a team millions in cap dollars and no Championships.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Attitudes like this prove that the media campaign to portray the Jets as a circus is working. Forget that the wr coach he had success under is now our wr coach, forget that pur new OC has serious morningwood for the passing game, forget that FA is not over let alone the draft for the jets to add another qb...it's preordained, receivers would rather retire than come here.
    His comment wasn't about the Jets, but about DHB. If you were a young free agent WR, would you want to sign with the Jets who has no real QB that could help showcase your potential or some other team with a solid to decent QB.

Now in the case of this player, he may just have to sign where an offer is being made, LOL.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell me how that worked out with Chaz Schilens!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I have no problem with the Jets bringing in this guy or any other free agent WR for that matter. Just don't tell me it's because Stephen Hill sucks.

I have been through the :

Bryan Thomas sucks because he doesn't sack the QB threads.

Jeff Cumberland Sucks because he's not Dustin Keller threads.

The (insert Player) sucks because (Insert poster) can't see the forest through the trees.

I wish fans would grade players base on what they see instead of what they expect.

When i watched Thomas i saw a player who kept RBs from getting outside the way John Abraham did.

When i watch Cumberland, i see an UDFA player doing the same thing a player we spent a 1st round pick on doing, without the benefit of practicing with the 1st string.

I don't look at expectations, i look at results. What good is a guy who gets 10 sacks but allows the RB outside to the tune of 100yards a game and a lost. Those guys cost a team millions in cap dollars and no Championships.
    Excellent post

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Hopkins and Patterson are better than any WR the jets have on roster rt now... Holmes , Kurl, & Hill don't scare any1. Holmes& Kurl R possession WR's@ best... Hill cant catch and is a PROJECT ... Jets need a playmaker at WR who can run and catch.. If the jets drafted Hopkins or Patterson they would be #1 on the depth chart in front of Hill, Holmes, Kurl . I actually like HARPER and think he is going to be good too.
    Patterson in Rd 1 vs. Gardner in Rd 7

Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Jets will workout Courtney Gardner. I know what many are thinking, Courtney who? Well Gardner was the 2nd best JUCO WR prospect behind Tanny's favorite Cordarrelle Patterson. Patterson and Gardner are similar in size; Gardner is 6-2ish 215+. They have similar game breaking speed; Gardner runs the 100 meters in 10.7 seconds and the 40 yards dash in 4.34 reportedly. They both have JUCO highlight tapes where they look like men against boys. Both were pursued by a number of big name schools; Patterson settled on Tennessee while Gardner on Oklohoma. This is where the comparisons end. Unlike Patterson, Gardner could not get his grades up enough to close the D1 deal. Gardner also could not keep his nose clean; he had a couple off the field issues. All in all he is a big time sleeper especially when you consider what Patterson was able to do in just 1 year at Tennessee. And I just love the fact that Idzik and company are looking under every rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    January 29th
    - The name making the rounds in the scouting community as one of the biggest sleepers at the receiver position is Courtney Gardner of Sierra College. The 6-foot, 3-inch/220lb pass catcher was expected to play for Oklahoma in 2013 but opted for the NFL draft after academic “difficulties”. We hear scouts have been raving about the physical skills Gardner brings to the field. Besides his large frame the big pass catcher also has the speed (10.7 sec in the 100 meters) to match. Even college coaches in the area are awed by his ability on the field but focusing at the task at hand seems to be an issue.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6730

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Patterson in Rd 1 vs. Gardner in Rd 7
    6.3 / 220 and a 4.34? Wow.

If that's true, get that guy in the 6th before anyone else does. Doesn't work out, you took a low-risk / high-reward shot. That guy is no Scotty McKnight.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward-Bey would be an excellent signing, again, lots of upside, should come fairly cheap and he fills a definite need (big receiver who can stretch the field)... in 2011 he had 975 yards in 15 games and last year he was solid aswell... with him our receiving corps would take a huge step forward and if Hill comes along we finally got a great mix of big long striding receivers who can challenge a defense deep and smaller fast guys underneath (Kerley, Holmes if healthy and Goodson from the RB spot can also do damage underneath)...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Sure, why not. Young, healthy, talented, motivated. Probably could be a bargain salary-wise. Adds competition.

Also, his addition wouldn't discourage the Jets from drafting a WR too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    can he play qb?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Heyward-Bey would be an excellent signing, again, lots of upside, should come fairly cheap and he fills a definite need (big receiver who can stretch the field)... in 2011 he had 975 yards in 15 games and last year he was solid aswell... with him our receiving corps would take a huge step forward and if Hill comes along we finally got a great mix of big long striding receivers who can challenge a defense deep and smaller fast guys underneath (Kerley, Holmes if healthy and Goodson from the RB spot can also do damage underneath)...
    Btwn Hill and DHB, we will have the speed to take the shots down the field... Something MM did a lot in Philly with DJax and Maclin. Only problem we will have is the person throwing the shots down the field

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    6.3 / 220 and a 4.34? Wow.

If that's true, get that guy in the 6th before anyone else does. Doesn't work out, you took a low-risk / high-reward shot. That guy is no Scotty McKnight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYfjUFdtVs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    DHB - A WR who can't catch. Sort of like Hill. Together with a QB who can't throw. Great combo.
    Ridiculous to say that HILL can't catch. How about giving the guy time to develop as a receiver. We drafted him knowing he'd be a project.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel stephen hill is the real deal but bringing in bey won't hurt....the man was actually making great strides before getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    Just saw this on PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ets-not-colts/

He showed promise in 2011. He played well last year I felt until he took that awful hit. I know he has a connection to Sanjay Lal too. I'm not opposed signing him and bringing him in. He might be too similar to Hill and then it wouldn't be great for us. I'm not opposed to bringing him in for a cheap price. Some talent there.