Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Myth on Keller

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Keller = TE version of Shonn Greene.

    Talent there, about twice year has really excellent games that show he has the talent, under achieves in a lot of games over his time here. No where near as fast as what he was supposed to be. Questionable character after his near the goal line shenanigans last year.

    He is no more of a match up problem than any other pass catching TE in this league. He is also apparently stupid as he turned down a multi year deal from Miami in favor of a one year deal for the same amount.
    Well you know which 2 games will be his good games next year

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Well you know which 2 games will be his good games next year
    just his rotten luck, the jets will finally draft a cover safety and keller won't do anything those games...

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1

    I'm on record as one of the guys who wanted Keller back, and I don't want to see the team spend an early pick on a TE this year. But it's old business now.

    Just hope the Jets have a better plan in mind than trotting Cumberland out with the #1s. Really like him as a #2 TE, but I just don't see him as a guy to make things happen in the offense as a starter.
    We are grossly overrating Cumbersome or tanking it this year.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Well you know which 2 games will be his good games next year
    I have a feeling he'll have a big game vs. us....

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    He is going to have a great year. Jets fans are going to be saying "where was that when he was on the Jets?"..... all because #6 is garbage.
    #6 threw or looked his way often. Not sure about Tannenhill yet

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    He's a WR put in TE slot..can put any big WR at TE and will do just ad good as keller.. Cumberland did a decent job last yr..
    TE position has turned into a very potent weapon and we need to draft one in early rounds.

    Keller could have been good fit in WCO but wanted to much $$$

  7. #27
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    545
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Keller were listed as a Slot WR instead of TE no one would give a crap about him. TEs that can catch are only worth a lot if they actually can perform the other duties required of TEs.

  8. #28
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Long Island-Florida
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    He is going to have a great year. Jets fans are going to be saying "where was that when he was on the Jets?"..... all because #6 is garbage.
    He sucked at blocking. #6 had nothing to do with that.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Well you know which 2 games will be his good games next year
    Sort of like what Ted freaking Ginn did to us eh?

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    He was injured a lot. Truth be told only this past year. Granted he was a miserable blocker but he was a matchup nightmare.

    Sanchez's security blanket. i'm not here to defend sanchez but it doesn't help that he has new WRs and TEs every year.

    hate seeing him swim to fish but i agree 4.25 is a lot. We need to draft a TE in the first 3 rds. preferrably one that can block

    Favre loved him.

    Will he explode w/a good QB?
    As much as I like Keller he isn't going to see a lot of game time this year. Miami drafted a TE last year named Egnew in the 3rd who ranked out really high. Keller will be a fall back plan IMO. Good hands but can't block worth of damn. Given they lost the core of their O (Bush, Long, and Fassano) they will need a good blocker or their young QB is going to get killed. Next year Martin, Miller, and Egnew will all be ready. This year I'm not expecting much.

  11. #31
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    As much as I like Keller he isn't going to see a lot of game time this year. Miami drafted a TE last year named Egnew in the 3rd who ranked out really high. Keller will be a fall back plan IMO. Good hands but can't block worth of damn. Given they lost the core of their O (Bush, Long, and Fassano) they will need a good blocker or their young QB is going to get killed. Next year Martin, Miller, and Egnew will all be ready. This year I'm not expecting much.
    I have to respectfully disagree on the majority of this. Egnew was a combine warrior type, but really struggled all season. He was only active maybe 3 games all of last year, and that was mainly because our other tight end Charles Clay missed a couple of games late in the season. Most people have already written him off as a bust. I haven't yet, but I am losing faith. His main problem, similar to Keller, is blocking. But apparently he had other issues as well such as memorizing the playbook. I had high hopes for him when we drafted him, just like any fan of a team and all of their draft picks! This is just off memory, but the guy ran a low 4.5 or mid to high 4.4, and he had the highest verticle of any tight end. Not only that, but he did catch alot of passes in college. His catches dropped from the 80-90's to around 50 his senior year, but most people attributed that to Blaine Gabbert leaving, and the new QB struggling all season.

    The good thing about the 1 year deal, is that if Egnew or Clay really step up, and I have a little more faith in Clay, I think he can be a solid and versitile weapon, and we can let Keller walk. But I wouldn't be surprised if Egnew was cut before the season. The only thing stopping that besides showing some signs would be the fact that he was a 3rd rounder just a year ago, but Ireland has shown he doesn't mind admitting when he made a mistakes.

    I think Martin will slide over to the left, unless they draft one of the top 3 left tackles in the draft. And I think they will still go after an above average right tackle in free agency. If we do that, we should be set. It was smart not resigning Long. He has been injured every year he's been in the league, besides his rookie year. He hasn't missed many games because he's a tough SOB, and I love him for that, but his body is just breaking down it seems. I still think he will be above average and he does have potential to turn back into the All Pro LT he was his first few years, but we already gambled on Mike Wallace, I think Jake Long at about 9 million per year is just too much. I wish him luck though, great leader and a good player. I hope he does well.

    I have very high hopes for Lamar Miller. I don't know about his blocking, but that guy can flat out fly. He has a solid build for a guy his speed. He was still nursing a shoulder injury that gave him problems his whole last season of college, and he still ran a 4.3 at the combine. The guy hits the hole hard and fast. Still, he was a 4th round pick, and didn't play much last year for a reason. A part of that was Reggie being ahead of him, and he's no chopped liver himself. And you're right that his blocking needs to improve. But I know just about every dolphins fan liked reggie, but has no problem letting him go so Lamar Miller gets more touches. He is the guy I'm most excited to see and have the highest hopes for. I remember on draft day Mel Kiper had him as the next best player from like the late 2nd round till he was drafted in the 4th by us. Not that Mel is the end all be all lol.

    I conclusion, I don't know why the hell I went so crazy with this post haha. I guess it was just to tell you how great the dolphins are, just kidding, just kidding. Just wanted to correct you on Keller. He should become our starting tight end, depending on how they want to use him with his poor blocking. And he will be a nice weapon for Tannehill. I can't wait till next season.

    Good luck to the Jets as well. I've been paying attention to just about every signing they have been making, and each one seems to be fairly low risk, and high reward. I say fairly low because a couple of them have some injury concerns, but nothing too major it seemed. If they were all completely healthy, and produced last season the way they had before, they wouldn't be bargins for you guys. I think Rex will have the defense playing tuff, that Dline should be fun to watch, and the offense can only improve. Should be interesting.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree on the majority of this. Egnew was a combine warrior type, but really struggled all season. He was only active maybe 3 games all of last year, and that was mainly because our other tight end Charles Clay missed a couple of games late in the season. Most people have already written him off as a bust. I haven't yet, but I am losing faith. His main problem, similar to Keller, is blocking. But apparently he had other issues as well such as memorizing the playbook. I had high hopes for him when we drafted him, just like any fan of a team and all of their draft picks! This is just off memory, but the guy ran a low 4.5 or mid to high 4.4, and he had the highest verticle of any tight end. Not only that, but he did catch alot of passes in college. His catches dropped from the 80-90's to around 50 his senior year, but most people attributed that to Blaine Gabbert leaving, and the new QB struggling all season.

    The good thing about the 1 year deal, is that if Egnew or Clay really step up, and I have a little more faith in Clay, I think he can be a solid and versitile weapon, and we can let Keller walk. But I wouldn't be surprised if Egnew was cut before the season. The only thing stopping that besides showing some signs would be the fact that he was a 3rd rounder just a year ago, but Ireland has shown he doesn't mind admitting when he made a mistakes.

    I think Martin will slide over to the left, unless they draft one of the top 3 left tackles in the draft. And I think they will still go after an above average right tackle in free agency. If we do that, we should be set. It was smart not resigning Long. He has been injured every year he's been in the league, besides his rookie year. He hasn't missed many games because he's a tough SOB, and I love him for that, but his body is just breaking down it seems. I still think he will be above average and he does have potential to turn back into the All Pro LT he was his first few years, but we already gambled on Mike Wallace, I think Jake Long at about 9 million per year is just too much. I wish him luck though, great leader and a good player. I hope he does well.

    I have very high hopes for Lamar Miller. I don't know about his blocking, but that guy can flat out fly. He has a solid build for a guy his speed. He was still nursing a shoulder injury that gave him problems his whole last season of college, and he still ran a 4.3 at the combine. The guy hits the hole hard and fast. Still, he was a 4th round pick, and didn't play much last year for a reason. A part of that was Reggie being ahead of him, and he's no chopped liver himself. And you're right that his blocking needs to improve. But I know just about every dolphins fan liked reggie, but has no problem letting him go so Lamar Miller gets more touches. He is the guy I'm most excited to see and have the highest hopes for. I remember on draft day Mel Kiper had him as the next best player from like the late 2nd round till he was drafted in the 4th by us. Not that Mel is the end all be all lol.

    I conclusion, I don't know why the hell I went so crazy with this post haha. I guess it was just to tell you how great the dolphins are, just kidding, just kidding. Just wanted to correct you on Keller. He should become our starting tight end, depending on how they want to use him with his poor blocking. And he will be a nice weapon for Tannehill. I can't wait till next season.

    Good luck to the Jets as well. I've been paying attention to just about every signing they have been making, and each one seems to be fairly low risk, and high reward. I say fairly low because a couple of them have some injury concerns, but nothing too major it seemed. If they were all completely healthy, and produced last season the way they had before, they wouldn't be bargins for you guys. I think Rex will have the defense playing tuff, that Dline should be fun to watch, and the offense can only improve. Should be interesting.
    Hey I appropriate the breakdown really. I have been looking at the Dolphins moves and hearing people scream playoff and honestly I think they are still a year or 2 away. It is hard to go from dropping the main core of your O to a bunch of 1-2 year guys and expect results right off the bat. Knew Egnew missed time but hadn't heard all that about him. He was an early 2nd projection if I remember that fell if I remember. I just don't see Keller being more then a 3-4th down TE on that team is all. For a team with a top line he'd be a very good starter but as stated Miami is going to need extra blocking out of their TE this year. Keller, Greene, and Connor where the 3 biggest reasons our OL got more hate then they really should have over the last 2 years. 0 2nd level blocks and yes it showed.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Well you know which 2 games will be his good games next year
    Yea Buffalo, probably the same two good games a year when he played here!

  14. #34
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Hey I appropriate the breakdown really. I have been looking at the Dolphins moves and hearing people scream playoff and honestly I think they are still a year or 2 away. It is hard to go from dropping the main core of your O to a bunch of 1-2 year guys and expect results right off the bat. Knew Egnew missed time but hadn't heard all that about him. He was an early 2nd projection if I remember that fell if I remember. I just don't see Keller being more then a 3-4th down TE on that team is all. For a team with a top line he'd be a very good starter but as stated Miami is going to need extra blocking out of their TE this year. Keller, Greene, and Connor where the 3 biggest reasons our OL got more hate then they really should have over the last 2 years. 0 2nd level blocks and yes it showed.
    Thanks for the kind words. It's nice having a civilized discussion with a Jets fan without them throwing in pot shots. I do have the same concerns about the blocking. It will be interesting to see how they adjust. I also agree that it may take a year or 2 for the new pieces to Gel. I guess, as usual, it's going to come down to Tannehill. I think we did a good job giving him weapons, something we had to do. But if Tannehill progresses nicely, and he gets some chemistry down with Keller, I think he could have a pretty nice year. This also depends on how we use Keller, and that goes back to his blocking. We will probably put him in the slot alot to try to avoid blocking, but every tight end has to block here or there. I was really hoping we could've kept Fasano along with getting a new recieving tight end because he was such a good blocker and it is important. In the end, I'll take the trade off, especially with the way the NFL is going, and the importance of the tight end with creating mismatches.

    Also, getting Mike Wallace should help Keller as well. Wallace should open up room for everybody on offense, and that should help Keller as much as anyone. Tannehill seemed to like his tight ends, so I think he will look in his direction alot, and Wallace taking a safety with him wherever he goes will help open things up. Wallace is a big risk. We're paying him top 5 reciever money, and he just isn't a top 5 reciever. But he's still young, with room for improvement, and if he can continue to put up the numbers he did with the steelers, besides last year which was a mess for the whole team I think it will be worth it. And a big part of that is opening up the field for the offense. I think Ireland is going for speed which we now have with Wallace, Keller, and Miller. It's all about mismatches and we should have a good amount of those. That being said, I believe we will be fighting for a wildcard next year, but it may take a year or 2 for everything to gel, and it will depend on how Tannehill progresses. I like what I've seen so far, and I love that we've gotten him some more weapons, but until he proves it, it will remain a question mark and a concern.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    TE position has turned into a very potent weapon and we need to draft one in early rounds.

    Keller could have been good fit in WCO but wanted to much $$$
    If we trade Revis I'm pretty sure we end up drafting Eifert or Ertz. Both are going to end up being lethal in the endzone.

  16. #36
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If we trade Revis I'm pretty sure we end up drafting Eifert or Ertz. Both are going to end up being lethal in the endzone.
    I wouldn't mind the dolphins taking 1 of those guys in the 2nd, but I think both will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Every team can use that big red zone target. It's a great compliment to a young quarterback.

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    according to pff from 2009-2012 dustin keller ranked in the top 5 in the league for dropped balls.

    he may have been a decent reciever but he was anything but a shore handed play maker that deserved a big multi year contract.

    edit: top 5 in the league for TE's that is

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If we trade Revis I'm pretty sure we end up drafting Eifert or Ertz. Both are going to end up being lethal in the endzone.
    What is the.breakdown on Ertz & Eifert?

  19. #39
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Idzik's reason to not get Keller back is because he's Sanchez's best friend on the team and it's his way of saying we aren't catering to your needs anymore Sanchy

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    What is the.breakdown on Ertz & Eifert?
    They're pretty similar TE prospects both 6'6 in the neighborhood of 250 lbs and primarily are receivers. Jets need a big receiver who can pull it down and be effective running the fade in the endzone. They get compared to Jason Witten. Both guys fit the bill. We had a tall receiver in Plax in 2011 and had a very good redzone offense as a result with Suckchez throwing the ball.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us