Thread: Rebuilding has Building in It

Rebuilding has Building in It

I am fine with the Jets rebuilding. I am ok with the team taking its time on signing FAs. I even think the dumping of players to get under the cap has been great. And, trading Revis for picks is good idea too.

BUT, just getting rid of players to get under the cap is not enough. There is "building" in "rebuilding." The Jets need to work on at least one area of the team each offseason.

For example, build the offensive line this year, so that next year, if you want to get your QB he's not road kill by week 3.

You can't just stand still and say, this year is about getting under the cap. Next year, we'll start adding players.

In my opinion, that's huge waste of time.
    Last edited by JFB; 03-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    I'm in the same boat. With the exception of Landry and Keller (young/talented), the other releases (slowing/overpaid) and signings (cheap and servicable) have been good. But in today's NFL, you cannot purposefully tank and win. If you don't win, YOU get tanked. Patience... lots of time to see what the new GM is up to. Liking it, but we must be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I am fine with the Jets rebuilding. I am ok with the team taking its time on signing FAs. I even think the dumping of players to get under the cap has been great. And, trading Revis for picks is good idea too.

BUT, just getting rid of players to get under the cap is not enough. There is "building" in "rebuilding." The Jets need to work on at least one area of the team each offseason.

For example, build the offensive line this year, so that next year, if you want to get your QB he's not road kill by week 3.

You can't just stand still and say, this year is about getting under the cap. Next year, we'll start adding players.

I agree with this and it actually kills two birds with one stone. You build up the OL and produce a solid running game in 2013 and the OL has a little more experience and reaedy to take on the job of protecting the Jets new franchise QB.

Our building will start with the draft. We are no longer building with FA. Rounds 1-4 for our stars and rounds 5-7+ UDFA for depth.

i agree...........

this is a strong year for o lineman,
    1st warmack
    2nd fleucker
    3rd barrett/bailey
    instant ol rebuild, and then you will know if you have a good qb or not.
    instead on reaching for defensive players that may or may not pan out, get the best player avail ol now. they cant afford to mess this draft this year up

All League

I agree also. However, it's premature to make the determination that this is not happening this season. It is likely that more free agents will be signed and we have yet to see what Idzik's draft will look like. Bump this thread (If you need to) after the draft.

Hall Of Fame

Well I dont think anyone is of this mindset, It is not like the Jets have a ton of cap room to add players this year. Most of the major additions will come through the draft and you can not draft what isnt there. While it sounds good in theory to focus on one area at a time each year, it is a poor draft strategy to draft so much based on need. As long as need matches value, then thats fine, but this team has a lot of needs so the BAP strategy should work well this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Well I dont think anyone is of this mindset, It is not like the Jets have a ton of cap room to add players this year. Most of the major additions will come through the draft and you can not draft what isnt there. While it sounds good in theory to focus on one area at a time each year, it is a poor draft strategy to draft so much based on need. As long as need matches value, then thats fine, but this team has a lot of needs so the BAP strategy should work well this year.
    I agree (and for the posters before I also agree that it's still early in the offseason).

I'm not saying only draft oline but Free Agent pickups should be young men that are second stringers on other teams that are looking for a shot to start.

The Jets, IMO, should sign at least three young OL-men who have not gotten their chance yet.

A great example of this sort of strategy is Goodson at RB. This could be a great pickup and there is no better time to see than this upcoming year.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Our building will start with the draft. We are no longer building with FA. Rounds 1-4 for our stars and rounds 5-7+ UDFA for depth.
    sounds great but not realistic. Every team picks up FA each year no matter how "draft savvy" they are.

Doesn't mean they have to be super stars. But they shouldn't be guys like Abram Elam to fill a one-year void and who have had the chance to prove they're mediocre.

As I said before, Goodson at RB is a good example.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    95% of the board does not understand this. You are wasting your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree that we should be drafting BAP at 9, the only issue is that the BAP will likely be a guard (Warmack or even Cooper). While you generally don't want to take a guard that high, this team needs to solidify their offense. There isn't a standout WR/RB/QB in the top 10 of this draft (unless the jets get sold on Geno) so the next best option for this team is to solidify the OL.

We have spent the last few drafts taking defensive players that are all panning out (Wilk and coples look like studs and Wilson who looks "serviceable") Its time to refocus on the offensive side of the ball so that when/if we land our franchise QB he has solid base around him.

Jets Insider VIP
    sounds great but not realistic. Every team picks up FA each year no matter how "draft savvy" they are.
    Mike Goodson, Willie Colon etc. We have picked guys up. Pay Attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Mike Goodson, Willie Colon etc. We have picked guys up. Pay Attention!
    I referenced Goodson as a good example.

Trust me. I'm paying attention. I think I read that Willie Colon has missed 19 games in the last 2 years. He's not exactly what I was talking about.

(I know Landry. Just saying he's not ideal.)